300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified out of state officer-need some help

I've been trying to find info about the process of transferring to Florida from out of state and thought I'd try asking on here.
    I'm currently a state trooper in Indiana going into my 7th year and am considering a move to Florida, but I'm a little confused about how the out of state certified process works. I'm not real sure on what area of Florida I'd like to be in yet, but I would be wanting to apply to a city or county department, and not the FHP. Would I have to go through an entire academy there, do departments hire laterals and just put out of staters through a brief criminal law course then onto fto?
    Can any current Florida officers or officers that went through the out of state process help me out? Also any suggestions on the best departments to work for down there would be good too....as far as pay, benefits, morale,what departments may or may not have take home cars, since I'm used to having take home and off duty use of my car here...basically any info would be good.
    I don't get on this site to regularly so PM's would be best if you reply to this post. Any help is appreciated.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
    it" - Thucydides

sigpic

I sent you a message

Comment

I've actually done lots of research on this for my husband.

Most Agencies don't accept laterals. (A few do and will pay for you to get your EOT-Equivalency of Training) . I think Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and right now Pinellas County is recruiting out of state. There maybe more but none in areas that I was interested in

If you want to transfer to another agency that doesn't accept a lateral without your EOT then you want to do some research on completing it and where you can get it. Many Community Colleges and training centers offer a program that will assist you and the price rages from 100-500

Basically, FDLE asks that you complete form CJSTC58 then you get a letter that says you have the ability to take the program. You complete X amount of time in a training program (it varies from 48 hours to 2 weeks depending on the site administering the EOT and then you complete the SOCE exam.

Offering the EOC:

Polk Community College:- 2 weeks $200.00
      St. Pete: http://www.spcollege.edu/eot/
      Pinellas County: http://www.policestandards.org/?page_id=70

You can do further research in an area that might be better for you. We were looking at central Florida. Hope this helps!
      JINX

Comment

Fort Lauderdale and Miami are not actively recruiting out of state, they do take persons from out of state but you must have a Florida D.L. to finish the process. Depending where you live just go to the local police academy and inquire about the EOT. Broward IPS and Palm Beach State run them throughout the year, it will cost you about a grand and you have to study on your own. So many fail thinking that the EOT is sufficient but it is not. Oh, and you have to take the PAT for some departments, just because you're certified is not enough in these times.

Comment

You first need to identify an academy through which you will complete Equivalency of Training. They will evaluate your basic training and compare it to the Florida standards- most times you have to take high liability (legal, firearms, etc) and then pass the state exam. At that point an agency can hire you as a LEO.

Applying is much like applying to a department: med, psych, etc. Cost and experiences vary so do your homework.

For background on the process- visit the FDLE website where the whole process and links to programs are.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Chipola College in Mariana FL is the shortest and cheapest EOT in the state. Excellent experience with them. Contact Steve Anderson.

Comment

I will second Chipola. They were professional and got the requirements done without a bunch of BS. They give you the tools you need to study for the state exam. they don't force feed it to you though, so you need to study on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by LandGuppy View Post
                I will second Chipola. They were professional and got the requirements done without a bunch of BS. They give you the tools you need to study for the state exam. they don't force feed it to you though, so you need to study on your own.
                What'd you think of the range? LOL talk about rural. Got to admit though...Mariana definitely had a bit of charm to it.

Comment

I just checked out the application for Chipola. Its nice that it is only a week. Are there hotels or places you can stay with good rates? I am sure you will also need to rent a car also.

Comment

Yeah, that range was pretty rural.

You will need a car or a person there that can drive you reliably. The range and driving course are in the middle of nowhere and I don't think Marianna has any taxi companies.

The school arranged a special rate at a hotel where most of the class stayed for $55 a night. You only need to stay monday through thursday as you will be on your way on friday afternoon (unless you failed some portion and had to make a special arrangement to try a retake).

Comment

Thanks for the replies...I'm getting my paperwork together and making plans to get this process going...special thanks to DaShadoes for the help. Chipola is where I'm planning to go for the EOT, cheapest and quickest. Hopefully I can get on with a good dept. down there on the gulf.
                      I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
                      it" - Thucydides

sigpic

Comment

Hey brother,
                        I'm retired from another agency up north and finishing up the process.
                        Step one .... Reach out to any of the schools to obtain your 76 form , which is just FDLE way of substantiating you have attended an academy already.
                        Step 2 .... You have to attend an abbreviated academy, there are many to attend, I found the biggest issue was a availability. I needed a class asap, Santa Fe college in Gainesville. It cost me $800, which is more than others , but they have a 90%+ pass rate on the state exam that they prepare you for, and classes are small - my class was only four people. I took the class 1/15 , two week class and took the exam three days later ... Passed with high 80s.

Now certified, all that is next is to apply to department.
                        Hope this helps.
                        Last edited by jperham; 02-05-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jperham View Post
                          Hey brother,
                          I'm retired from another agency up north and finishing up the process.
                          Step one .... Reach out to any of the schools to obtain your 76 form , which is just FDLE way of substantiating you have attended an academy already.
                          Step 2 .... You have to attend an abbreviated academy, there are many to attend, I found the biggest issue was a availability. I needed a class asap, Santa Fe college in Gainesville. It cost me $800, which is more than others , but they have a 90%+ pass rate on the state exam that they prepare you for, and classes are small - my class was only four people. I took the class 1/15 , two week class and took the exam three days later ... Passed with high 80s.

Now certified, all that is next is to apply to department.
                          Hope this helps.

So let me get this strait, First i need to go to one of these 2 week academy classes, provide a hotel room for myself while im down here, then once i pass the state exam, im able to apply to FL departments? If hired i go right into a FTO program? No academy correct?

Comment

Passed with high 80's?

The SOCE gives scores now instead of just pass or fail?

Heckler -

You do not have to attend the 2 week class. You only need the 40 hour class then the state test to be certified. No academy. The state test is cake - especially if you've already passed a certification test in another state.

However, some departments do an abbreviated training for all new hires regardless of experience.
                            Last edited by DaShadoes; 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

the classes that you take a primarily for the high liabilities. Driving, shooting, first aid and defensive tactics. They will give you books to study for the state exam give you books to study for the state exam

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4620 users online. 285 members and 4335 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X