300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers License Address

I was wondering if anyone knew the rules about using the PD address on your driver's license (for privacy reasons). A fellow officer mentioned it but I couldn't find anywhere to confirm it. Just trying to get. info on that

Originally posted by jnikjoseph View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew the rules about using the PD address on your driver's license (for privacy reasons). A fellow officer mentioned it but I couldn't find anywhere to confirm it. Just trying to get. info on that
    [b]Short of the long:[b/b] While I understand the drive to not flash your home address about- having your agency address on the face of your DL is just a thin and often futile endeavor. Unless you are both proactive and very, very, very vigilant your information is readily available.
    As I last heard LEOs are exempt from the address requirement.

See an announcement from the PBA: http://www.flpba.org/pdf/rollcall/Ro...02009%2013.pdf that speaks to the subject. Regardless, you should consider completing an ‘ADDRESS/IDENTIFICATION CONFIDENTIALITY REQUEST’ which is available online via: http://www.dos.state.fl.us/publicati...ormrevised.pdf

Under the REAL ID Act- a proper and physical address was required, among other requirements. There was much debate over the true need and benefit of requiring a physical address, and then there were issues with protected parties such as LEO’s, judges, DV victims, etc. As I last knew several states have expanded the list of variances and allows some classes of folks to either use an alternative address or shield release via privacy laws. For background on the REAL ID Act- see: http://www.flhsmv.gov/realid/

You should also consult your agencies policies as some departments specifically prohibit using the agency address for anything but official business.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

You can go onto the DHSMV website and create both a mailing address and a residential address. While most people must have their residential addresses printed on their license (no more PO boxes), LEOs may have their mailing addresses printed on licenses and registrations as long as the proper form is submitted. So while the state will still have a record of your home address, it won't appear on any documents. You can use your work address or a PO box as your mailing address.

The form referenced by sgt jon is not the DHSMV form, but the Dept. of State form and is for a different purpose. The form you need is below:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/courts/latesti...ment_Block.pdf

I would also advise you to do a public records search at your local Circuit Court Clerk's office. Everyone seems to know to go to the property appraiser and get your home address marked as confidential, but many people fail to search the Clerk's Office records and fill out exemption forms there. If that's not done things like your mortgage and he deed to your home will still be viewable, which obviously contain your home address. Also make sure to go to the Supervisor of Elections office and fill out their form. Voter records are all public record.

As sgt jon said, it's very difficult to keep all your personal information truly hidden. It doesn't help matters that every government agency seems to have different forms that all must be individually submitted in order to protect your information.
      Last edited by Delta_V; 01-12-2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I would add to that, but there is no need. Delta hit it on the head for Florida.

Comment

I would add the following suggestions that may provide helpful:

Google yourself. You would be absolutely amazed how much personal information is available. Then, even if you have managed to block 99.999% of the information about yourself- there is often linkage to a relative, past addresses, alumni’s, yearbooks, etc.

If you find personal information on sites such as Intellius, Lexus Nexus or the like- there are procedures to request redaction- though not all firms are responsive or will claim they are just a throughput point for public information.

I would then Google any vanity names you have used in forums such as this, and then your email address. Again- you may be surprised.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4545 users online. 288 members and 4257 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X