300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSO hired but no job?

Hi everyone... Feeling very discouraged now. I applied to BSO for a reserve deputy position back in January and after the extensive hiring process, I got the call. My orientation was on July and my academy was set to begin on the beggining of this month. At the orientation, I told them that I would not be able to go full time in the academy, and to them it was ok, I would just have to wait for a part time. After doing a little research, the HR dept got back to me saying that there are no part time academies coming up and offered me the november full time, which I went ahead and accepted it. So last week they called me to say that depending the new budget coming up on sept 10th, the nov acamedy might be canceled. I've seen this happen to some people and they never got called back. Budget is a "beach". Wondering if I shouldmgo ahead and apply for other departments. I'm not certified, but in case no other department is hiring non certified, I will be sponsoring myself through the west palm academy. Funny thing, BSO does not like to use the wpb academy... They have part times all the time yet the BSO don't like using that academy to sponsor new cadets.

You "F'ed" yourself. Should have taken it when they offered it.

Comment

Yep.. I know. But having to provide for my family comes first. They are sponsoring me but not paying me a salary. I have to sell everything I have to make ends meet to be able to go full time and there was just not enough time for me to do that.

Comment

I agree, you should've taken it when it got offered to you. A chance like that you can never refuse it. But if you trying to sponsor yourself, Palm Beach State College is great to self-sponsored yourself, I start the Academy on Sept. 3, plus there are a lot of threads about it. Good luck to you.

Comment

I could not accept it because my income comes from my full time job. Having to stay 6 months doing just a little part time job wouldn't be enough to pay for my bills. I have a daughter and my wife is a piano teacher, so I'm the provider. What would it be if I had taken it and a month later be evicted from my home for not paying the rent. I'm discouraged not because of the decision I made, but for the budget not going through. I do have confidence on myself that I can be a good candidate in any other department, but I really wanted BSO. Well, just have to pray for the budget to go through I guess.

Comment

I hear ya, i had to go Part-time at the academy because my job is priority right now, but hopefully once I graduate the academy I can get hired.

Comment

The budget in late October will reveal that we probably will NOT get our 2% COLA raises. However, we will HAVE to hire new deputies as we are extremely short staffed.

You can expect to get the call either in November or January, but we definitely need warm bodies at the moment. Also, regardless of County budgeting, contract cities REQUIRE a certain # of deputies on the street at any given time. BSO is mostly contract cities - so I wouldn't be too worried at the moment.

With regard to working and going to academy at the same time - it's a tough pill to swallow, but be grateful that you are actually having your academy paid for.

I personally had to pay my own way through academy ($4,000) and ALSO work at the same time. I had 80+ hour weeks, between academy, work, and studying. At the end of the academy, and the beginning of working for my first department, it was the greatest feeling in the world.

Hang in there, tough it out, and BSO will pick you up eventually as a full-timer. The hard part is already over.

Comment

Family First

Do not feel bad about putting your family first. Let me say again, never feel bad about putting your family, that beautiful daughter and your wife first. When it is all said and done, it is your family who will be washing our back and feeding you during the tougher times. Again, do not regret this. LE is not running away. You could attempt this career weeks, months or years down the line. Stabilize the family first financially before destabilizing the family financially. I had to put my career dream on hold for years until now I am financially stable and will only attend a part-time academy. Remember, the family you created comes first.

By the way, based on what you said Brance, BSO seems to keep you informed on when they would like to pull you on board. Have some faith, like vacbanned said the hard part of getting picked is over. Feel good that you made it that far. They may in fact call you again.
                Last edited by abstraction; 08-31-2013, 01:43 AM. Reason: addition.

Comment

Hey vac, Thanks for the info. Right after I posted, I read one of your comments on a different post regarding the bso budget and that actually gave me some hope of still going to the Nov academy. I've been in contact with Tammy from the HR and she is a really nice lady, I have already signed the 2 year contract and the academy enrollment papers on that orientation I had in July. I think I'm worrying too much now and maybe I should just relax and wait for the call. I'm selling my car, motorcycle, mtb bike, ps3, bird, dog, even grass sod from this rental house if I have to but I know it will pay off. You guys that made it give me that assurance.

Abstraction, thats right... Family always comes first. God is in control, and I'm an extremelly confident guy. If I don't get into BSO, I'm 100% sure that it will be another agency. I'm also on my final steps on a Customs and Boarder application, all thats left is my background. Still, I would pick getting shot at and graveyard shift over a fed custom job.

Comment

To the people who said you screwed yourself.. EHH wrong. Try going up to 9 months without a paycheck, my friend just got hired on.. from the day he had to quit his job to start the academy, to the time he got a check was about 9 months. If it wasn't for that I'd already be on the road. sadly I've been having to look at other departments. I don't even know if I want to be a cop in South FLA to tell you the truth. I'm looking into going federal.

Comment

I will hang in there... On the 10th they will have the budget meeting with the commissioners.

Taylor, I got a call from Customs and Border scheduling my poly for the 17th of this month. They have openings but my hiring process is taking more than a year and half. Go ahead and apply... Good luck.

Comment

eff that. Hey man I know your pain. I went the through the academy and graduated last February, self sponsored. It is just hoop after hoop to jump through with alot of these police departments. I say apply some where else it's their lost. The truth is, if you go through the academy and ruin your credit. You will still be fired, because you failed to maintain responsibility over your bills and etc. You made the right choice.
                        If you had not committed great evil, God would have not unleashed me upon you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brance28 View Post
                          I will hang in there... On the 10th they will have the budget meeting with the commissioners.

Taylor, I got a call from Customs and Border scheduling my poly for the 17th of this month. They have openings but my hiring process is taking more than a year and half. Go ahead and apply... Good luck.
                          That's the ideal agency I'd like to get on with.. we'll see.

Comment

That would be quite the predicament to be in. Hope you get on somewhere!

Comment

Good luck. I definitely know about trying to work and do the full time academy at the same time. I did it, and those were some long days.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4702 users online. 293 members and 4409 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X