Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any cities or unincorporated areas serviced by FHP?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any cities or unincorporated areas serviced by FHP?

The topic says it all.

I heard someone the other day mention that FHP actually provides patrol functions for a small unincorporated area in FL. Is there any truth to this? If so, where is it?

I was under the impression that any municipality or unincorporated area that does not have it's own LE would, by default, be serviced by the Sheriff and his deputies.
    Last edited by vacbanned4; 08-26-2013, 03:55 AM.

I have never heard of that. I'll ask my buddy though.

Comment

same here, I have never heard that. I know my county doesnt do anything re:traffic crash with the exception of traffic control until FHP shows up (doesnt break my heart one bit, either). Maybe somebody got their wires crossed and thinks that this arrangement (we are not the only ones IIRC) also included patrol?

Comment

Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
        same here, I have never heard that. I know my county doesnt do anything re:traffic crash with the exception of traffic control until FHP shows up (doesnt break my heart one bit, either). Maybe somebody got their wires crossed and thinks that this arrangement (we are not the only ones IIRC) also included patrol?

Hmm...interesting. That's a very unique arrangement that I wish BSO had lol. What county are you working for? PM me if you wish to remain private.

Comment

By statute, a sheriffs office can elect not to work crashes and send them all to FHP. A municipal department can't do that, because FHP isn't required to investigate crashes in municipalities. Pasco SO does it that way. If FHP is busy, a Pasco deputy will stand by on scene for two hours until a trooper gets there.

Comment

Hahaha...oh that's a good one. FHP taking non-traffic related calls? If found my house burglarized, and I had to choose between waiting a few hours for a deputy and an immediate response by a trooper... I'm grabbing a beer and waiting.

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
            If FHP is busy, a Pasco deputy will stand by on scene for two hours until a trooper gets there.
            It sounds like Nocco is squashing that practice. A deputy will come out and check on the occupants. If everyone is okay, he'll let them know to standby for FHP and then get x8.

Comment

FHP is not a "full-service" law enforcement agency as they ONLY do traffic and highway crashes..... They are not like the State Police in other states that conduct non-traffic related criminal investigations.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShadoes View Post
                FHP is not a "full-service" law enforcement agency as they ONLY do traffic and highway crashes..... They are not like the State Police in other states that conduct non-traffic related criminal investigations.
                Hmm..I see.

Who investigates the crimes that occur on the highway, such as Turnpike Rest Plazas, Weigh Stations, Turnpike Gas Stations, and even the actual highway (or just off of it)? Does FHP give it to local authorities?

I never even thought about this.

Comment

The Sheriff or PD....whichever applies to where the call is taking place.

Comment

^^What he said^^

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
                      The Sheriff or PD....whichever applies to where the call is taking place.
                      So assuming a sexual battery takes place at the Turnpike Rest Plaza in Jupiter - they would dispatch either PBSO or Jupiter Police Dept to investigate the sexual battery?

The same if a shooting occurred between two vehicles on I-95 off of Broward Blvd (BSO). Would BSO be dispatched and FHP would just stand by?

Comment

.................................................. ...
                        Last edited by DaShadoes; 08-29-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

That's not necessarily true. While FHP's mission and purpose is traffic enforcement, a trooper is still a certified LEO and has the authority to investigate and make an arrest for any violation of the Florida Statutes. They aren't going to be dispatched to something outside their area of focus and be expected to take the lead, however they most certainly will respond to things like highway shootings and in progress crimes that occur at rest areas. While a trooper isn't going to take the lead and investigate a major non-traffic case, they have and will investigate the more minor non-traffic related crimes and make arrests when necessary. This is especially true for cases like domestic batteries, drug offenses, and other crimes that are not traffic related but occur on the roadways that FHP patrols.

Comment

Had a shooting on I-4 in December. The municipality I work for handled it. FHP never even showed up as the call came in to our dispatch.

Comment

Very interesting. I had no idea this was the case.

Thanks for the insight guys!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4482 users online. 283 members and 4199 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X