Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any New York P.O that Transfered To FL?

I just wanted to find out some more information on those that did transfer from NY to FL. I know the process with the EOT and Florida Cert. exam but I am just trying to get some insight on how different.

The Pros and Cons about moving down south.

I myself is contemplating on moving down because of the cost of living, the weather, and the 3 on 4 off or 4 on 4 off schedule that a lot of the departments work on.

You can PM me or Post up on this thread.

Thank you
    Last edited by kxf82489; 07-10-2013, 09:20 PM.

Any insight?

Comment

I made the move from the Northeast to Texas. Still south. Better pay, retirement, and cost of living. I was looking into Florida as well and they seemed to have the same advantages as well. What department you checking out?

Comment

Originally posted by EricDel View Post
        I made the move from the Northeast to Texas. Still south. Better pay, retirement, and cost of living. I was looking into Florida as well and they seemed to have the same advantages as well. What department you checking out?
        I was looking into Davie PD, Hollywood PD, Miramar PD and Broward County Sheriffs Office. I want growth in a department and seems like Broward would be the best to suit that. I know Hollywood has had their problems with salary cuts and retirement but I read the other day that the union and City finally made some progress. Their salary jumped from 42,XXX to 50,xxx sometime this week. I want to move down south Florida for the same reasons why you moved to Texas

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
          Apply to Hollywood and BSO. Florida has no income tax and many places have a state retirement (FRS) which now has a 3% contribution (not Hollywood). Property taxes are lower, weather is better, property is easy to find. If you pick Broward, look at north Coconut Creek to live...still fairly savage free. You covered the basics, EOT, etc., what specifics are you looking for?

I am going to apply to Hollywood and BSO. I like the fact that with BSO, since it is a fairly large department, growth is possible.

1. How is the overtime at BSO or Hollywood? Limited ?

2. Being a Certified P.O in NY, will I still need to attend an academy if I go to BSO or Hollywood? (I know i'll probably need a refresher course on the different laws and regulations in the State of FL.

3. I saw on FDLE that Miami Dade College does the EOT cert, High liabilities, Review Course and State exam. The individual at the college stated that everyone that went though their course made it though. The only reason I ask is because I have a friend that lives in Davie that would allow me to commute to the process instead of going to Chipola College for their course

Comment

I was a P.O. in Brooklyn North, and have been here for about 6 years...so I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. So Fla Cop pretty much summed it up for you though....

Well, I can't tell you how the OT is at those places, but here in South FL, guys make extra money doing paid details. Most guys have one that they do all the time, but they also give them up a lot, so you should be able to get some.

You attend the academy here, but it's really just a gentleman's course. I did mine at Broward College. All you do really is do study groups to get ready for the state exam, firearms (pay attention, cause I'm not sure if they do the old test..which was actually hard, compared to the present one..you know a lot of NYPD cops can't hit the broad side of a barn), driver training, DT, and whatever else..it's easy. If you're gonna stay in Davie, then just go to Broward and get it done..

The laws/regulations/call signs will take some getting used to, along with report writing..no shorthanded 61's here..they want you to get in depth..like what you would usually do on a DD5. It's a different world entirely, but not bad. This is the thing...NOWHERE is like the NYPD..nowhere. As long as you can live without the intangibles (going out for choir practice after work), then you should be ok..if you wanna do a ride along..PM me...i'm in Miami..

Comment

Originally posted by NorwichGrad05 View Post
              I was a P.O. in Brooklyn North, and have been here for about 6 years...so I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. So Fla Cop pretty much summed it up for you though....

Well, I can't tell you how the OT is at those places, but here in South FL, guys make extra money doing paid details. Most guys have one that they do all the time, but they also give them up a lot, so you should be able to get some.

You attend the academy here, but it's really just a gentleman's course. I did mine at Broward College. All you do really is do study groups to get ready for the state exam, firearms (pay attention, cause I'm not sure if they do the old test..which was actually hard, compared to the present one..you know a lot of NYPD cops can't hit the broad side of a barn), driver training, DT, and whatever else..it's easy. If you're gonna stay in Davie, then just go to Broward and get it done..

The laws/regulations/call signs will take some getting used to, along with report writing..no shorthanded 61's here..they want you to get in depth..like what you would usually do on a DD5. It's a different world entirely, but not bad. This is the thing...NOWHERE is like the NYPD..nowhere. As long as you can live without the intangibles (going out for choir practice after work), then you should be ok..if you wanna do a ride along..PM me...i'm in Miami..

Thanks for the insight! Pming you now.

Comment

I came from a large NJ department in 2006. I went through the two week course in Broward and then applied like anyone else for the certified positions. The course is easy, the application process is a bit time consuming and they want to know EVERYTHING about you and what you did in your department. I was amazed on how easy it was up in NJ to get a law job but when I came down here, such a difference. I live in Coral Springs and i'm close to the border of Parkland which is a very well to do area. Everything is here, it is a bit more money than some other parts of BroCo but its worth it.
                by the way... I do not miss winter...

Comment

I work with a bunch of guys from N.J and seems like N.J departments have been difficult to get on for the past 3 years. (I'm assuming it was their budgets like the rest of the county) Now the smaller municipal departments are beginning to hire. We just lost 3-4 guys in the past 3 months.

I heard a lot of great things about coral springs. I need to check the housing over there. I've been to Davie and Pembroke Pines, both seemed like a relativity good neighborhood.

Winter.....yeah I hate the winter. Which is a major factor for myself.

Originally posted by KrisTee73 View Post
                  I came from a large NJ department in 2006. I went through the two week course in Broward and then applied like anyone else for the certified positions. The course is easy, the application process is a bit time consuming and they want to know EVERYTHING about you and what you did in your department. I was amazed on how easy it was up in NJ to get a law job but when I came down here, such a difference. I live in Coral Springs and i'm close to the border of Parkland which is a very well to do area. Everything is here, it is a bit more money than some other parts of BroCo but its worth it.
                  by the way... I do not miss winter...

Comment

Originally posted by NorwichGrad05 View Post

I saw that (report) My buddy works with West Palm Beach SO. I looked at him and said " Writing a book?" he said every reports like that. In NY it's a quick memo or narrative.

But from what I am told they Love our NY Cert down there (South). 8.5 years and I am heading down
                    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                      I saw that (report) My buddy works with West Palm Beach SO. I looked at him and said " Writing a book?" he said every reports like that. In NY it's a quick memo or narrative.

But from what I am told they Love our NY Cert down there (South). 8.5 years and I am heading down
                      I heard the same thing but no its not the cert., it seems its our attitude to police work. Not to discredit anyone but I notice that I do more proactive work than most. I'm out here because I want to be here and I want to do the work. The bosses like this and I think its what your going to bring to the table that most won't. Good luck. If you need any help just message any of us down here and we'll help you out anyway possible.
                      Last edited by KrisTee73; 08-02-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Davie....some parts OK. Pembroke Pines....stay away. IMHO stay away from all of South Broward and Miami-Dade.
                        I agree...I'm here in Dade County, and am just counting down the years, until I leave. I wish I knew how incredibly jacked up this county is...

Comment

Mind expanding on why exactly it's so jacked up?

Comment

Third world country, corruption galore, traffic, crowds, crime, expensive housing (if you can find a leftover decent inch), no ingles or pa gen engle, and HOT in the summer. What else do you need? I thought I left NYC. The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of esprit de corp that exists in the NE (at least it used to).
                            Brother..you hit it perfectly..I think guys aren't tight here, because we leave in the bag...take our RMPs home..so you can't go hit the pub on your last day before you swing out..the corruption? Dade County..terrible..

Comment

Third world country, corruption galore, traffic, crowds, crime, expensive housing (if you can find a leftover decent inch), no ingles or pa gen engle, and HOT in the summer. What else do you need? I thought I left NYC. The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of esprit de corp that exists in the NE (at least it used to).
                              We still have "esprit de corp " my friend. There are a few that our tight but for the most part you can be from anywhere show a tin and you will be one of the gang.
                              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4321 users online. 253 members and 4068 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X