300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed carry at Disneyworld for LE

Sorry if this has benn discussed previously, but up to date info would be great! I am an LEO from Ohio and was wondering what my carry options are for our trip to Disney next week? Is it even worth bringing?

Type Disney into the Florida Forum search function. You'll find varied information and opinions.

Comment

I've replied to this before....and I will reply to this again.

You are PROTECTED by LEOSA and STATE STATUTE. That means there will be no LEGAL recourse for you carrying a firearm onto Disney property as a LEO (off duty included).

Disney does not allow firearms on their property for anyone....FBI, Secret Service, LEOs, etc. However, Disney can only enforce this rule by the following:

1. Detecting that you have a firearm in the first place.
      2. Asking you to leave the park and potentially issuing a trespass warning.

The side notes:

Disney will NOT detect that you are carrying a firearm unless you:

1. Wave it around like an idiot
      2. Wear clothing way too tight for your off duty carry
      3. Carry it in a fanny bag or other bag (all bags are searched prior to entry)
      4. Take the firearm out and use it lawfully to neutralize an armed threat

I'm 99.999% sure that any LEO worth his weight in salt would never worry about the first 3, because he/she must be smarter than that.

The 4th possibility, is WORTH EVERY PENNY of the ticket price if they ask you to leave afterwards.

You can not put a price on the safety and life of you and your family. If a nut decides to shoot up Disney world tomorrow...and you're there....you better pray you decided to break Disney rules and carry your off duty (and hopefully a spare mag or two).

The bottom line -

You can carry anywhere in the country you want with your off duty (except secured government installations), and you are protected by LEOSA and Federal/State Statute. Who cares if Disney or any other property owner has "rules" that forbid guns. The nuts won't respect that rule, and neither should you - as you have a responsibility to protect your family and yourself in the event of a deadly force encounter. Worst case scenario, you are asked to leave Disney, you demand your money back, and you go to Sea World or Universal instead. Just don't be foolish and start flashing your badge/ID and/or informing Disney staff that you are carrying.

This is coming from a LEO who has visited Disney MANY times (I live only 2 hours South of Orlando), and has carried every time without incident.

Comment

Originally posted by vacbanned4 View Post
        This is coming from a LEO who has visited Disney MANY times (I live only 2 hours South of Orlando), and has carried every time without incident.
        Not to be funny, but WDW Security does have an actual Intel Unit... wouldn't be surprised if they figure out who you are... I know that WDW Security makes their front line personnel look goofy so as to make the guests feel good; however the organization is very good at what they do.

And as a side note, Walt Disney World is a bit different than most private property owners. As the Florida Legislature created the Reedy Creek Improvement District for the Walt Disney Company, which is the equivalent to a County Government and is run by the Walt Disney Company. Thus, thru its control of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the Walt Disney Company functions as a Government Entity in Florida... and even has the power of eminent domain, which it has exercised several times.

Additionally, the Walt Disney Company could create it's own full fledged police force, if it chose to do so... as of this time, it contracts with Orange County Sheriffs Office to provide law enforcement within the Reedy Creek Improvement District, although they do maintain their own proprietary 911 system and Fire/Rescue Service.
        Last edited by DCPSDcop; 02-07-2013, 04:15 PM.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

You are PROTECTED by LEOSA and STATE STATUTE. That means there will be no LEGAL recourse for you carrying a firearm onto Disney property as a LEO (off duty included).

Disney does not allow firearms on their property for anyone....FBI, Secret Service, LEOs, etc. However, Disney can only enforce this rule by the following:

The side notes:

I'm 99.999% sure that any LEO worth his weight in salt would never worry about the first 3, because he/she must be smarter than that.

The 4th possibility, is WORTH EVERY PENNY of the ticket price if they ask you to leave afterwards.

You can not put a price on the safety and life of you and your family. If a nut decides to shoot up Disney world tomorrow...and you're there....you better pray you decided to break Disney rules and carry your off duty (and hopefully a spare mag or two).

The bottom line -

You can carry anywhere in the country you want with your off duty (except secured government installations), and you are protected by LEOSA and Federal/State Statute. Who cares if Disney or any other property owner has "rules" that forbid guns. The nuts won't respect that rule, and neither should you - as you have a responsibility to protect your family and yourself in the event of a deadly force encounter. Worst case scenario, you are asked to leave Disney, you demand your money back, and you go to Sea World or Universal instead. Just don't be foolish and start flashing your badge/ID and/or informing Disney staff that you are carrying.

You are of the mistaken thought that HR 218 supersedes state law. The function of HR 218 was to allow LEO's to be able to conceal carry off duty without the requirement of getting a state concealed carry license, which in Illinois does not exist, or impossible in California and other states. HR 218 clearly states that all officers covered must follow all Federal, State and local laws as they pertain to concealed carry including areas in which weapons are prohibited. HR 218 is not Carte Blanche for officers to carry where ever they they want. Since Disney is considered private and does not allow weapons on their property, by Florida law a concealed carry permit does not supersede that prohibition and an officer would not be exempt under HR 218 from the prohibition of weapons on Disney property. Disney clearly posts the prohibition of weapons on their property, while they can ask you to leave and possibly give you a trespass warning, if not involve the county Sheriff office if you try to protest your being evicted from the property, it would not be a smart thing to carry on Disney property. Lock it up in the hotel safe just to keep the chance of any problems arising.
          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

...man don't carry at disney...

Comment

Mickey must have ****ed someone off for this much talk .
              1*

Comment

Your silly post
                You're an idiot and I wished I worked for Disney Security....as it would make me feel really, really happy to have Orange County SO toss your silly *** in jail with my assistance.

You need to read LESOA again....before you post retarded answers like this in an open forum....

Further, if you can't relax as a LEO and take your family out to a nice day there without carrying.....then you've got some serious mental issues......and need to find a new job.

Play Sheepdog all you want but it will eat you up to the point that you keel over to stress....and/or your old lady will have a new dick parked inside her because she's tired of your antics.....
                Last edited by Bearcat357; 02-10-2013, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                  You are of the mistaken thought that HR 218 supersedes state law.
                  He is...but from looking at his prior postings he's too silly and ignorant to realize that.....

Comment

I get aggravated when people reference HR 218. It's 18 USC 926 (b or c, depending) or the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004.

H.R.218 -- Living Organ Donor Tax Credit Act of 2009
                    At each session of Congress this letter and number combination can be applied to something different. In 2004 it dealt with LEO's carrying firearms. That was 9 years ago.
                    1*

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
                      Improvement Districts and Community Development Districts ... are prohibited from creating a law enforcement department.
                      Disney has two municipalities, the cities of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista. They could probably establish police forces through these - if they wanted the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPSDcop View Post
                        Not to be funny, but WDW Security does have an actual Intel Unit... wouldn't be surprised if they figure out who you are... I know that WDW Security makes their front line personnel look goofy so as to make the guests feel good; however the organization is very good at what they do.

And as a side note, Walt Disney World is a bit different than most private property owners. As the Florida Legislature created the Reedy Creek Improvement District for the Walt Disney Company, which is the equivalent to a County Government and is run by the Walt Disney Company. Thus, thru its control of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the Walt Disney Company functions as a Government Entity in Florida... and even has the power of eminent domain, which it has exercised several times.

Additionally, the Walt Disney Company could create it's own full fledged police force, if it chose to do so... as of this time, it contracts with Orange County Sheriffs Office to provide law enforcement within the Reedy Creek Improvement District, although they do maintain their own proprietary 911 system and Fire/Rescue Service.

Let's start here:

WDW Intel Unit - Please. I'm sure the Mouse Squad is running around with $100,000,000 bionic x-ray goggles and scanning the crowd for potential off duty LEO's who dare to carry firearms into their "gun free zone" theme park.

Sorry for the obvious sarcasm, but making WDW security look like a joke isn't saying much about their "intel" unit.

Reedy Creek Improvement District is 100% FORBIDDEN from having law enforcement powers and creating their own law enforcement agency. This is prohibited by state statute. You should really look into this. Law enforcement in areas that are considered community development districts (ie: the Park areas) are policed by the local Sheriff's Office, OR the highway patrol (state police) if the Sheriff can not afford/handle the area. In this case, OCSO does a fine job.

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                          You are of the mistaken thought that HR 218 supersedes state law. The function of HR 218 was to allow LEO's to be able to conceal carry off duty without the requirement of getting a state concealed carry license, which in Illinois does not exist, or impossible in California and other states. HR 218 clearly states that all officers covered must follow all Federal, State and local laws as they pertain to concealed carry including areas in which weapons are prohibited. HR 218 is not Carte Blanche for officers to carry where ever they they want. Since Disney is considered private and does not allow weapons on their property, by Florida law a concealed carry permit does not supersede that prohibition and an officer would not be exempt under HR 218 from the prohibition of weapons on Disney property. Disney clearly posts the prohibition of weapons on their property, while they can ask you to leave and possibly give you a trespass warning, if not involve the county Sheriff office if you try to protest your being evicted from the property, it would not be a smart thing to carry on Disney property. Lock it up in the hotel safe just to keep the chance of any problems arising.

This is only partially true. If you read what I posted carefully...I mentioned that carrying inside of WDW would not be a criminal issue - but rather only result in a trespass warning from WDW staff if you had been discovered in possession of your firearm.

LEOSA does indeed supersede State law except under the following:

1) State laws that permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

2) State laws that prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.

The FIRST of these two provisions is a law that allows a private business owner to say "No guns allowed." Thus, LEOSA does not infringe on the private business owner's choice to forbid firearms on his/her property. This, however, has nothing to do with the "law", but rather ALLOWS the business owner to ask you to leave on those grounds. If you refuse to leave, trespassing will come into play.

So as I previously stated - carrying on PRIVATE property that forbids firearms will result in a trespass warning AT BEST.

LEOSA protects you legally in cases where concealed carry is illegal for general civilians, such as in NY/CA, etc.

Comment

The side notes:

The bottom line -

This topic has been discussed here and the end result is the same: While you “could” carry at Disney, they can kick you out. If you are truly looking for insight, search the previous threads and what options may be available to you.

And actually LEOSA (18 USC 926B and 926C) does not exempt you from prohibitions established by property owners. Under LEOSA you are only exempt from permit requirements and not from other provisions of prevailing laws.

While apples to oranges comparison, a former Disney security officer was fired following his much publicized entry onto Disney property with his firearm. He asserted that his Florida CCW permit exempted him from the Disney policy against firearms. He lost, was fired and while he filed suit; he later dropped it. Disney asserted that they were able to enforce the policy due to an obscure state statute tied to fireworks.
                            Originally posted by SSD
                            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by vdfnco View Post
                              I get aggravated when people reference HR 218. It's 18 USC 926 (b or c, depending) or the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004.

H.R.218 -- Living Organ Donor Tax Credit Act of 2009
                              At each session of Congress this letter and number combination can be applied to something different. In 2004 it dealt with LEO's carrying firearms. That was 9 years ago.
                              You are 100% correct; I know better, yet I still say H.R. 218 or LEOSA since they are common references.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4039 users online. 240 members and 3799 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X