300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEO's tints for personal vehicle

I'm a federal LEO living in Miami, and I have a question regarding vehicle tints for my personal vehicle. My question is, are LEO's allowed to have darker tints than would usually permitted due to the fact that it's for officer safety? I would like to know because I wouldn't want to violate state law, I just would feel safer driving around in uniform if my tints were darker.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
    Last edited by grullj; 02-09-2012, 08:15 PM.

If you got stopped just show some tin. When you get stopped, roll all your windows down- problem solved. ; )
    Certified troll.

Comment

Don't get pulled over by FHP.
      MDPD
      CJBAT- 02/2008 Passed
      Applied- 02/2009
      BAT- 03/2009 Passed
      Orientation 03/2009
      Polygraph 04/2009 Pending

Comment

Nope, 28 front 15 back. You can always get a doctors note which would permit the darker tint because of light sensitivity.

Comment

F.S. 316.29545. Window sunscreening exclusions; medical exemption; certain law enforcement vehicles and private investigative service vehicles exempt.
          (1) The department shall issue medical exemption certificates to persons who are afflicted with Lupus, any autoimmune disease, or other medical conditions which require a limited exposure to light, which certificates shall entitle the person to whom the certificate is issued to have sunscreening material on the windshield, side windows, and windows behind the driver which is in violation of the requirements of ss. 316.2951 - 316.2957 . The department shall consult with the Medical Advisory Board established in s. 322.125 for guidance with respect to the autoimmune diseases and other medical conditions which shall be included on the form of the medical certificate authorized by this section. At a minimum, the medical exemption certificate shall include a vehicle description with the make, model, year, vehicle identification number, medical exemption decal number issued for the vehicle, and the name of the person or persons who are the registered owners of the vehicle. A medical exemption certificate shall be nontransferable and shall become null and void upon the sale or transfer of the vehicle identified on the certificate.
          (2) The department shall exempt all law enforcement vehicles used in undercover or canine operations from the window sunscreening requirements of ss. 316.2951 - 316.2957 .
          (3) The department shall exempt from the window sunscreening restrictions of ss. 316.2953, 316.2954, and 316.2956 vehicles that are owned or leased by private investigators or private investigative agencies licensed under Chapter 493.
          (4) The department may charge a fee in an amount sufficient to defray the expenses of issuing a medical exemption certificate as described in subsection (1).
          (5) The department is authorized to promulgate rules for the implementation of this section.

Then if it's a POV, it seems that you can only have the exemption if you have the medical exemption or if you are a FL licensed private investigator. As a LEO, you would have to have your agency certifying that your POV is used for undercover work.
          Last edited by patrick_leo; 02-10-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Are there really LEO's that'd screw with another LEO in his POV for tint? That's cheap IMO. The tint on my POV is less than 5% all the way around, it's been that way for 7+ years and for the same reason originally stated and have never had an issue with it.

Comment

Don't drive around in your uniform.
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

All my vehicles have darker tint than the state limits. Never had an issue, and personally I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
                  How many times have they metered your car now? The bright side for us is Frey is gone and nobody will care anymore.
                  They always "check" them after they are put on of course

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3992 users online. 194 members and 3798 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X