FWC Academy beginning Sep 10, 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeoHopeful11 View Post
    Do you have to take the TABE if you have your BA Degree?
    yup, unless you're already certified.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannbeefwc View Post
      you still got a background and psych eval
      Yes, but Wannabeefwc - did you get a letter to let you know that background checks would be commencing...something that let you know you made it to that next step? My understanding is that if I get this type of letter, I will essentially get a conditional job offer as long as the psych test, background check, and medical exams are all uneventful.

And for LeoHopeful11- If you are rusty on your English and Math (especially Algebra and Geometry) you definitely need to take some pretests and study-up. Although I completed a college algebra course 15 years ago... I had to study in advance for the TABE, and I'm glad I did or I would not have done very well, and I also have a degree already, albeit it's just an AS. To that effect, do all the research you can to understand the BAT, or CJBAT. Although you can't study for that, per se, you can gain a clear understanding of what the test entails. Most importantly, the CLOCK IS TICKING when you take the exam and don't be surprised if you run out of time. Time management is critical. One just can't be too prepared, ya know? There is a great officer (professional and always helpful) on this website named "Shadow Warrior" - he has a lot of posts and also has a lot of information that you can google regarding "So you want to be a cop?", etc. He also has a great paper out there about preparing for the BAT/CJBAT Check it out if you haven't already. Anyway, I took extensive measures to prepare for my TABE and CJBAT, and I'm proud of my results.

Now, I hope to woo the interview panel next week and secure my place in this wonderful agency and fulfill a dream of over 10 years.

Comment

People's First is accepting applications for FWC LEO positions again - ending date is April 30, 2012
        Last edited by OnlyFWC4me; 02-23-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

onlyfwc4me- You won't receive a letter stating that your background check has begun. You will, however, receive a phone call or email from your background investigator. They take about 2-3 weeks to complete maybe longer if you're prior military. Sorry to burst your bubble but just because you complete a background does not mean you're gonna get a conditional. They do about 80 backgrounds if my memory serves me correctly.

leohopeful11- go to barnes and noble and buy a practice tabe book. It did me wonders! The highest score you can get is a 12.9 and that can be achieved even if you don't answer every question correctly.

If you guys have any questions about next weeks interviews i'd be happy to help you out.

Comment

onlyfwc4me- You won't receive a letter stating that your background check has begun. You will, however, receive a phone call or email from your background investigator. They take about 2-3 weeks to complete maybe longer if you're prior military. Sorry to burst your bubble but just because you complete a background does not mean you're gonna get a conditional. They do about 80 backgrounds if my memory serves me correctly.

leohopeful11- go to barnes and noble and buy a practice tabe book. It did me wonders! The highest score you can get is a 12.9 and that can be achieved even if you don't answer every question correctly.

If you guys have any questions about next weeks interviews i'd be happy to help you out.
            Thank you. I'm wondering if all the questions are factual based or situational? What really made you sweat during your interview?

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyFWC4me View Post
              Thank you. I'm wondering if all the questions are factual based or situational? What really made you sweat during your interview?
              Both. If they ask you if you fish or hunt, you'd better be able to tell them what you hunt and the regs for that species. There are some generic interview questions that could be asked at any interview, like describe yourself yada yada yada. Believe it or not, this was the most comfortable interview i've ever had. I fumbled for the first ten seconds and then nailed it after that. If you really want the job and you can speak intelligibly about it then you should be fine.

Comment

Both. If they ask you if you fish or hunt, you'd better be able to tell them what you hunt and the regs for that species. There are some generic interview questions that could be asked at any interview, like describe yourself yada yada yada. Believe it or not, this was the most comfortable interview i've ever had. I fumbled for the first ten seconds and then nailed it after that. If you really want the job and you can speak intelligibly about it then you should be fine.
                I've waited for this opportunity for more than 10 years. I don't know if anyone wants it more than I do. lol I will make sure that comes out during the interview; I just dont want to get stumped on silly questions like exactly how many square miles of ocean, gulf, ponds, streams, woods, etc do officers patrol. I'm focusing on knowing as much as I can so I can speak intelligently, but I know my passion for the outdoors and job will shine. Good info on hunting/fishing and knowing the corresponding regs though!

What has been the toughest part of the academy so far, for you, as well as the class in general?

Comment

onlyfwc- I don't want to spoil the academy experience. Just know that everything is attainable once you're in. There's fun stuff, not so fun stuff and painful stuff.

Comment

onlyfwc- I don't want to spoil the academy experience. Just know that everything is attainable once you're in. There's fun stuff, not so fun stuff and painful stuff.
                    Thanks Wannabeefwc - I really do appreciate, and understand this. I know it won't be a cake walk, but I wouldn't have it any other way...the good, the bad, and the "other" - is all part of the journey and I'm ready to jump in.

Comment

Good luck to everyone being interviewed this week. Keep us posted!

Comment

Do they do taser with exposure in this academy? The NPS doesn't do it(even though I had to take a ride in my academy). I just want to know so I don't have to live with the lingering question and know what I'm getting into. God I hate that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by PatFWC View Post
                          Do they do taser with exposure in this academy? The NPS doesn't do it(even though I had to take a ride in my academy). I just want to know so I don't have to live with the lingering question and know what I'm getting into. God I hate that thing.
                          I hate it too. That should answer your question haha

Comment

Well, my interview went well in my opinion. The questions were not the sort that I was expecting but I feel like I was prepared and gave good answers. It's hard not to Monday-night quarter-back my own performance, but I'm optimistic that I will get a letter in a few weeks letting me know I'm moving on to the background checks. *keeping fingers crossed* My panel let me know that the competition was very tough and that most of the folks they interviewed were exceptional candidates. Well, at least that's good news for the commission overall - I'm glad to know mostly top-notch people are going to get their foot in the door. I was impressed by most of the men I saw and talked with; only saw 1 guy who was clearly out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlyFWC4me View Post
                              Well, my interview went well in my opinion. The questions were not the sort that I was expecting but I feel like I was prepared and gave good answers. It's hard not to Monday-night quarter-back my own performance, but I'm optimistic that I will get a letter in a few weeks letting me know I'm moving on to the background checks. *keeping fingers crossed* My panel let me know that the competition was very tough and that most of the folks they interviewed were exceptional candidates. Well, at least that's good news for the commission overall - I'm glad to know mostly top-notch people are going to get their foot in the door. I was impressed by most of the men I saw and talked with; only saw 1 guy who was clearly out of place.
                              Same here. The interview was not what I was expecting. It was short and to the point. I felt it went well but could've been better if I wouldn't have been so nervous. I was told they don't know exactly how many vacancies there are since the final budget has yet to be finalized.

Anyway, it was nice to be greeted by an officer that remembered me from the PAT and now I am hoping I don't get a letter in the mail since the letter is bad news. If you make it, you'll receive a call.

Comment

Anyone know the top salary or what type of raises the FWC LEOs receive? I see the starting salary and locality pay online but couldn't pull any info on top salary.

Also-I submitted my app w/o taking the TABE or BAT yet. Is this a problem? I plan on taking both soon.
                                Last edited by CivilServant14; 03-03-2012, 08:01 AM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8609 users online. 264 members and 8345 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                                X