Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando PD or Alternatives

Hello,

Hoping to hear from some current or recently separated LEO's with OPD, surrounding areas, or FHP in the Orlando area.

Little about me:

4 years US Marine; 9 Years Cobb County PD (4 Patrol, 1.5 CID, 3 Homicide), left the department in good standing in 2009 to pursue some overseas contracting opportunities. Started contracting on the International Police Adviser side in Afghanistan for 2 years; worked on an operational program for 7 months in Helmand Province, and 8-months as an SME to a US Army assessment team. I recently switched over to the PSD side of things. I'm WPSIII certified and work for the DoS High Threat Protection Office in Iraq.

My family and I are thinking about relocating from the Atlanta to Orlando area and I'm seeking some details regarding agencies in the area. I know several departments frown on hiring those that left LE to pursue PMC type work and was curious if any departments in that area have similar thoughts.

Also curious about upward/lateral opportunities with various departments. I have no reservations about working the road again, but would ideally prefer a department sized to have an investigations division. I have over 1600 hours of LE training; including: Crime Analysis, Sexual Assault Investigator, Cold Case, OIS, Homicide Investigator, and Forensic Excavation of Buried Human Remains (U of Tenn: Body Farm) courses completed. I also have extensive experience in the analysis of cell phone call detail records related to criminal investigations. I'd ideally like to parlay my previous LE experience and contracting time to LE operations.

Thanks, if you'd rather PM or email me that's fine too.

Thanks again
    Last edited by usmc2pd; 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM. Reason: typo

From everything I've read man, you put in an application with Orlando and play the waiting game... a 6 month waiting game. They did just get a new Chief though so there is no telling if he'll improve recruiting... but hardly anywhere in Florida is hiring police right now. I put in an application at the beginning of the month, and still haven't heard anything.

Comment

Why Orlando?

You'll make way more money on the gulf coast agencies. PM me if you're interested in areas between Tampa down through Sarasota. Yes, we are hiring.

Comment

unit 453 can you pm me some those departments that are hiring cause i got apps in with ft lauderdale, tallahassee, and st pete i would like some other alternatives

Comment

Yeah what departments I'm interested to know as well...

Comment

Unit453,

Thanks for the reply, that is the information I'm looking for. PM sent.

Thanks for the PM's I've received - to clarify:

I know the economy and hiring in Florida isn't ideal; it isn't in Georgia either and I know my previous LE experience is desirable. My main concern is some departments have [maybe unwritten] policies about hiring guys that have worked overseas PMC contracts. I've had several buddies that tried unsuccessful to reapply with either their prior PD or a new one and not been hired, only to return to the pipe hitter union after a few months. Granted it's a small cross section, but when 10 guys all with similar backgrounds to mine can't get hired it makes you wonder. I want to avoid the roller-coaster of telling my family I'm done and then have to return to contract work a few months later.

Comment

If you ever decide to apply to Tampa PD we don't have a problem hiring guys who have done overseas contracts. A new officer who we just hired left a small department as a sergeant, did a year in Iraq, and then got hired by us when he got back. I can't give you much insight as to agencies in and around Orlando specifically, but I would greatly advise you to avoid any state jobs. With changes to FRS it also seems like good municipal agencies with their own pensions are the way to go now too.

Unit453 is correct in that you'll make more money here in the Tampa area. It really all depends on just what exactly you're looking for in a place to live or if there are any specific reasons you want to be in Orlando.
              Last edited by Delta_V; 06-28-2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

is tampa hiring right now??

Comment

Yep. There's a new group of about 20 that will start at the end of the month and we will probably hire one more class before the year is up. Rumor is that next year they're going to try to hire about 90-120 officers to make up for a very large number of people retiring.

Comment

Hello,
                    Sounds like you got your ducks in a row and a well padded resume. After 10 years with a central Florida agency, I resigned and spent 3 years in Iraq with the CIVPOL mission as well. Awesome experience and $$, but I digress. The trip overseas did come up in multiple interviews/oral boards with concern over longevity. Basically, will I stick around long enough to keep my certifications valid before bailing again for the next overseas mission?

In the oral board for the department that hired me, I explained that the Iraq mission was at an end, the three years overseas were enough for the family to handle, and the goals I wanted to accomplish with the $$ I earned have been met. Personally I was able to say when I first deployed I was recently divorced and in huge debt as a result, but now (at the time of the oral board) I was out of debt and remarried and intended to stay that way (i.e. planted roots). Regardless of the circumstances, show that your time overseas is an open and closed chapter of your life.

I would recommend taking a look at the Port Canaveral Police Department. It's a brand new agency (dob 2009) being built from the ground up. They are only taking officers with prior experience. Being one of the busiest ports in the country, they favor homeland security/counter-terrorism experience, marine patrol, and plenty of public relations. Their jurisdiction covers the port and surrounding businesses and they work closely with US Customs, USCG, and Brevard SO.

Good Luck, be safe,
                    Tac Six One

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~Romans 13

Comment

Rich, those guys actually have state wide authority.

Comment

Pretty sure Port Canaveral Police are taking over the whole Canaveral area now. SO had to find a spot for those 17 deputies that used to cover it. They should be picking up a few bodies.
                        I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
                        - Mark Twain

Comment

Florida is looking better and better

i currently work for memphis pd, i have been here about 5 years. We just got a pay cut and now talks of pension changes so i'm looking to leave. Tampa and Orlando both look pretty good to me. I just have a few questions about Tampa. The salary step program, move up yearly?
                          How many years till vested in pension and is there a minimum retirement age? Is there a bid system or are officers just placed by supervisors? 8 hours shifts? available overtime? If i were to move there where not to live? Pm is fine

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by coop644c View Post
                            i currently work for memphis pd, i have been here about 5 years. We just got a pay cut and now talks of pension changes so i'm looking to leave. Tampa and Orlando both look pretty good to me. I just have a few questions about Tampa. The salary step program, move up yearly?
                            How many years till vested in pension and is there a minimum retirement age? Is there a bid system or are officers just placed by supervisors? 8 hours shifts? available overtime? If i were to move there where not to live? Pm is fine

Thanks
                            10 hours shifts.. overtime is fair will on probation but after the gates open... PM is blocked for you?? I posted on other thread you started
                            PT!!!! Who do you think you are joining? There are two groups of agents at FLETC. The ones pulling Gators down the road with instructors yelling at them are U.S. Marshals. The ones hanging out on the balcony drinking beer and laughing at the U.S. Marshals are us (and most of the other agencies).-jb74

Comment

Originally posted by dirk551 View Post
                              10 hours shifts.. overtime is fair will on probation but after the gates open... PM is blocked for you?? I posted on other thread you started
                              thanks i'm a little new to this site. I'm going to unblock pm, didn't know it was blocked.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9337 users online. 449 members and 8888 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X