300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharkboy View Post
    I spent 7 years working at SPPD. The city is a sh$t hole full of Sh$tbags. Morale sucks due to the administration that has been vurtually unchanged for 15 years. The current mayor has shown he has no desire to make major changes or they would have been done already.

If you want experience quickly then get them to put you through the academy and hit the streets. You will see more in 5 years in St. Pete than you will in a career at 90% of the departments in florida.

Furthermore if you want answers about being a cop or working the street than stop reading post by persons like NavCop22. If you want answers on how to work the monitor for a shoplifter than ask him.

Not sure where that came from.......I was never in Loss Prevention. lol.
    Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

Sharkboy,

You come off as an idiot with your rant about SPPD. In my experience everybody I talk to about their respective departments always has something bad to say for the most part. You sound like a disgruntled ex-employee that frankly us unemployed certified guys can't stand, because of your lack of appreciation for having a career despite all these cuts, still pays well and has great benefits in this horrible economy

Comment

Originally posted by LeoRespect View Post
        Sharkboy,

You come off as an idiot with your rant about SPPD. In my experience everybody I talk to about their respective departments always has something bad to say for the most part. You sound like a disgruntled ex-employee that frankly us unemployed certified guys can't stand, because of your lack of appreciation for having a career despite all these cuts, still pays well and has great benefits in this horrible economy

Very well said brother. +1
        Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

He doesn't come off as an idiot, he comes off the same way as anyone does who has ever worked for that agency and knows the truth. Sorry that your vast experience as an unemployed certifiable applicant says that everyone complains about their department and that such statements should be ignored, but SPPD is an absolutely terrible place to work and has had the highest attrition rate of any department in Florida for years. If you ask ANY cop in the Tampa Bay area they will tell you the exact same thing about St. Pete that sharkboy posted.

If you don't care about that and want to apply there anyway, fine. But don't get up on your high horse and and criticize people for talking about departments you obviously know nothing about when someone came onto the site and specifically asked for general information on the department. Contrary to what some people here might think, not every applicant is in a position where they have to apply to last chance departments if they want to get hired.

Comment

I actually could care less about St. Pete or its PD. Im not the one who was asking for information, but I like to read about what is going on around the state and educate myself. I actually never stated anything about my experience being vast in any nature. I simply stated most officers you speak to always tend to exaggerate the negatives of their respective departments. I'm sorry you couldnt handle that.

Comment

I actually could care less about St. Pete or its PD. Im not the one who was asking for information, but I like to read about what is going on around the state and educate myself.
              You called a former officer from that agency an idiot for posting what you perceived as a rant when in reality it is the truth. Now you're saying that you don't know anything about that department and don't care about it, only that you're "educating yourself." If you don't know anything about the working conditions at an agency, why in the world are you calling people names for posting their observations when they actually do have firsthand knowledge?

I actually never stated anything about my experience being vast in any nature. I simply stated most officers you speak to always tend to exaggerate the negatives of their respective departments.
              "in my experience." Which exactly is what? The academy? 200 posts on a website? Sending out lots of applications? What is this experience you speak of that enables you to know whether officers exaggerate anything about their departments? Since you've never worked for any you really don't know if they're exaggerations or not.

I'm sorry you couldnt handle that.
              I can handle plenty. It irritates me when people who have no firsthand knowledge about a topic chime in like they know what they're talking about. You don't see me posting in any topics about Miami area agencies because I don't know a thing about most of them. Before you insinuate that someone is exaggerating or sounding like an idiot, maybe you should know something about what you're talking about first.

It also seems as if the non-LEOs who do this kind of thing the most are the ones who can't find a job. Correlation maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
                You called a former officer from that agency an idiot for posting what you perceived as a rant when in reality it is the truth. Now you're saying that you don't know anything about that department and don't care about it, only that you're "educating yourself." If you don't know anything about the working conditions at an agency, why in the world are you calling people names for posting their observations when they actually do have firsthand knowledge?

"in my experience." Which exactly is what? The academy? 200 posts on a website? Sending out lots of applications? What is this experience you speak of that enables you to know whether officers exaggerate anything about their departments? Since you've never worked for any you really don't know if they're exaggerations or not.

I can handle plenty. It irritates me when people who have no firsthand knowledge about a topic chime in like they know what they're talking about. You don't see me posting in any topics about Miami area agencies because I don't know a thing about most of them. Before you insinuate that someone is exaggerating or sounding like an idiot, maybe you should know something about what you're talking about first.

It also seems as if the non-LEOs who do this kind of thing the most are the ones who can't find a job. Correlation maybe?

No, I don't believe there is any correlation at all. Leorespect was just trying to point out to sharkboy that the negativity and complaining is ridiculous and I see his point completely. He was just trying to say STFU and be happy and grateful to God that you have a job that pays good and has great benefits in this crap of an economy. Its also true what he said about hearing people complaining and b**** and spew all this negativity to uncertified guys that are struggling like hell to get into LE in this economy. You and sharkboy who have jobs and have had them for a while now. Probably have forgotten how hard it is to get on with a LE agency nowadays compared to when you and him probably got on. Instead of spewing negativity so damn much, point out the good things about an agency and the fact that you have a GREAT JOB, instead of everything being so damn bad. If its so damn bad then LEAVE!!!. Make room for new guys who won't complain as much and who will be grateful to have a job in LE.

Comment

Delta V,
                  Im not the one calling people sh**bags on the internet. Please reread the posts to enlighten yourself and stop belittling my experiences. I just graduated and didn't expect to have a job right away and I am comfortable where I am right now and I know I will have a job sooner or later. Just pointing out the spoiled nature some people have towards this career and to some departments. I can't believe I irritate you personally though? Like I said, Im sorry you couldn't handle my point of view. Which is scary that you are given such an amazing power to take someone's freedom away.

Comment

Okay well NOT trying to hack this thread but enough about St. Pete and how much it sux! Hell, I'll take a job their just for the experience! Anyways i'm trying to find out if anyone has applied recently and heard anything back. I've been trying to call their recruiter for the past week and have had no success. I tried applying online and couldn't manage to find the vacancy to apply to; anyone here who has applied and how you applied want to shed some light on your situation and experience ?? Thanks!!

Comment

They just had a hiring board, so it could be next year before they hire again. Regardless of when they do hire, you'll need to fill out the required forms here. Employment forms

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post

I'll have to agree with you on this one for sure. And to the non-LEOS who keep posting and bashing other officers, if you DO get hired, at some point in your career you will be b1tch1ing just like the others as well..

And no I do not work in Florida, however I have plenty of family in the Tampa area and heavily researched St. Pete PD, however everything Delta and Sharkboy stated is what I found out. Everyone said it was the worst department in Florida 3 years ago, and it seems nothing has changed.

If you absolutely need the job and can't wait for another place go for it! However be warned officers told me St. Pete will do whatever it takes to keep you from lateraling away from their department...... cough cough your personal file.. Maybe things have changed abit, but that is what I found out 3 years ago....

Comment

Originally posted by EricDel View Post
                          I'll have to agree with you on this one for sure. And to the non-LEOS who keep posting and bashing other officers, if you DO get hired, at some point in your career you will be b1tch1ing just like the others as well..

And no I do not work in Florida, however I have plenty of family in the Tampa area and heavily researched St. Pete PD, however everything Delta and Sharkboy stated is what I found out. Everyone said it was the worst department in Florida 3 years ago, and it seems nothing has changed.

If you absolutely need the job and can't wait for another place go for it! However be warned officers told me St. Pete will do whatever it takes to keep you from lateraling away from their department...... cough cough your personal file.. Maybe things have changed abit, but that is what I found out 3 years ago....

We're not bashing officers by any means. We are bashing what they are saying. As for myself, I have A LOT of respect for Delta V for being a Tampa LEO for however long he has been there and he seems to have accomplished a lot there. As for sharkboy, I have no idea about him and I don't care to know either. I, along with Leorespect just get tired of hiring officers gripe and complain about their jobs in this economy. If you HATE your department so much then why don't people who complain so much and say how bad it is LEAVE?!. I know why, because while they complain about how bad it is to work for their agency or how bad their agency sucks. They sure enjoy the pay check and the benefits, how about those off duty details? I bet when the brass comes asking around (if they do which I doubt but if they would) how are you enjoying your department? hows overall morale in your opinion? They would give a smile from ear to ear and say "I love this department, Sir or Maam and morale is good" I'm sure I will catch some heat for that one but its true. If ANYONE valued their job not just in law enforcement but in general. They always say their job is good with the management or administration. Unless, you were getting ready to retire in two days and you told them what you really thought about working at your agency.

I know that (for the exception of one job) I never worked a job that I hated to the point where I would go online and gripe about it and say how bad it is to work there. If I didn't like working somewhere, I got up, turned in my two weeks and that was that. I would never work somewhere where I didn't want to work plain and simple. When it comes to LE, I will work ANYWHERE because this is my dream career and it has been for as long as I can remember. No matter if I worked for St Pete Police or a Florida Tribal Police agency (which I've heard they aren't good to work for) I will be the happiest person on this God Green Earth because I'm doing what I want and love. You want to know why? Because, I've learned something. In this economy and how tough it is to get a decent paying job, let alone a LE job is really, really tough. I underestimated how hard it was going to be for me when I was in the academy. I actually thought I would have the same "luck" that people in my class had in getting hired pretty quick by someone. But, yet here I'm STILL unemployed and still chasing something which I've ALWAYS wanted to do and not just because I was laid off and all of a sudden one day I woke up like many in my class did and wanted to become a LEO all of a sudden. But, with how things are going for me.

My faith and hope is starting to diminish for my dream career and now I'm looking towards going to Fire school perhaps to either make me more competitive or go into Fire. So, to see people complaining and crying about this and that and all this petty stuff. When you've got applicants out there like Leorespect and I that are struggling to get into our dream careers. Its extremely frustrating to hear that crap about not liking your agency. Just be happy and grateful you got a job that gives you so much benefits and your doing a career that people respect. Regardless, of where your jurisdiction is and how bad the administration is. Just remember it can always be worse, like not having that job and being in my same boat.
                          Last edited by NavCop22; 07-01-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

In all my time here I've said very few negative things about my department, either publicly or in PMs. That doesn't mean that we don't have problems and everyone is 100% happy 100% of the time, it just means that the issues are minor and the positive outweighs the negative by far. That said, there are departments out there that are absolutely terrible places to work. There is nothing wrong with people in the know telling others about the problems and issues at such agencies. As I previously stated, SPPD has the highest attrition rate of any department in the state. That place is so full of problems it's ridiculous. Applicants have a right to know that, and they have a right to make the decision themselves about whether they want to apply there after knowing such facts. Not everyone is willing (or needs) to apply everywhere just to find someplace that will hire them. There are plenty of well qualified applicants out there who do not have problems getting jobs with good agencies.

If you're the type of person who would take any law enforcement job no matter what the pay, benefits, or working conditions are just so you can say you're a cop and gain the experience, then you're honestly someone who probably has background issues and can't get hired at a good department. Some of the posters here have posted their background problems and flatly don't belong in law enforcement. Just because someone wants a job and think they should have one doesn't mean that they should or will get hired. You can't expect most people to look at themselves objectively.

Comment

I apologize for my comments previously. It would be horrible to work for a department that treats its troops this way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...a-warning.html

Comment

That type of thing is par for the course there. If they got rid of Harmon, hired retired chief Steve Hogue of TPD and let him run the place how he wanted to, both the city and the department would be a lot better place to live and work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4245 users online. 270 members and 3975 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X