Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Information on St. Petersburg PD?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any Information on St. Petersburg PD?

    I think a few of you on here know that I am planning on self sponsoring myself through the academy this coming january. I have spoken with a recruiter for St. Petersburg PD, and have been encouraged to apply. I know that they prefer candidates who are not already certified and they sponsor. Has anyone else been through the hiring process with this agency, or have any general information on the department. I am from Central Florida, but would not have a problem with relocating at this time.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Well, your right about their agency preferring you non certified and them sponsoring you. They are a good agency overall by what I've heard and they have good benefits. However, their morale isn't the best right now because they had a lot of problems with the former chief which when you have time I HIGHLY recommend you Google the SOB so you could see what I'm talking about. Since his ousting, morale has gone up just a smich but it still isn't as good as it was prior to that SOB. Just keep that in mind with them. You will see lots of action with them because they are a busy department. I had two academy buddies of mine apply and one is almost through the process just waiting for the nay or yay from them and the other one is waiting for their oral. So, they are hiring and are processing people fairly quick through the process. Good luck Ucfmanic!!!
    Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

    Comment


    • #3
      what is busier, Tampa or St. Petersburg???

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd say Tampa.

        Comment


        • #5
          Tampa......
          Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

          Comment


          • #6
            It's not that SPPD prefers those without experience, it's that SPPD has such a bad reputation that the only way they can get people is by paying a cadet's way through the academy when very few other agencies do it. They've had the same chief since 2001 and things have been bad the entire time he's been in office. It was even worse with the chief before him, who went on to become deputy mayor before being fired by the current mayor for not attending the funerals of officers killed in the line of duty. Morale is slowly getting better there, but that is because the new mayor has ordered the chief to change many of the things officers have been complaining about there for years.

            SPPD isn't losing as many officers as they once did, which is a combined result of both the bad economy and working conditions slowly getting better. As to which department is busier, I would say that it depends on which part of the city you're in. SPPD has long struggled with staffing problems, which force calls to stack up and hold. TPD has a much lower officer to citizen ratio and has more people on the street taking calls. For that reason SPPD could be busier. Many of our new hires who come from other agencies (even small ones) remark at the relatively low call volume, which leaves more time for proactive activity. Keep in mind that call volume is inversely proportional to the officer to citizen ratio, so a small department with only a few officers on the street at once can be busier than a large department with hundreds working at the same time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
              It's not that SPPD prefers those without experience, it's that SPPD has such a bad reputation that the only way they can get people is by paying a cadet's way through the academy when very few other agencies do it. They've had the same chief since 2001 and things have been bad the entire time he's been in office. It was even worse with the chief before him, who went on to become deputy mayor before being fired by the current mayor for not attending the funerals of officers killed in the line of duty. Morale is slowly getting better there, but that is because the new mayor has ordered the chief to change many of the things officers have been complaining about there for years.

              SPPD isn't losing as many officers as they once did, which is a combined result of both the bad economy and working conditions slowly getting better. As to which department is busier, I would say that it depends on which part of the city you're in. SPPD has long struggled with staffing problems, which force calls to stack up and hold. TPD has a much lower officer to citizen ratio and has more people on the street taking calls. For that reason SPPD could be busier. Many of our new hires who come from other agencies (even small ones) remark at the relatively low call volume, which leaves more time for proactive activity. Keep in mind that call volume is inversely proportional to the officer to citizen ratio, so a small department with only a few officers on the street at once can be busier than a large department with hundreds working at the same time.




              With all due respect Delta, I would say that statement is not the case at all now. If they were to drop the college requirement and the fact that they do PREFER you go through the SPC Academy for your Cert. You would see tons and tons of people lining up applying by the droves over there (including myself) who are already Certified and good to go. I would LOVE to work at either Tampa or St Pete but Tampa has more than enough applicants who are qualified and St Pete can have A LOT more if the hidden preference of the SPC deal wasn't there.


              You are right about the officer to citizen ratio though. You can have a huge department with tons of officers pounding the ground with less calls than having a smaller department with lots of calls and less officers. I still would say though, pound for pound Tampa is busier than St Pete.
              Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by NavCop22 View Post
                With all due respect Delta, I would say that statement is not the case at all now. If they were to drop the college requirement and the fact that they do PREFER you go through the SPC Academy for your Cert. You would see tons and tons of people lining up applying by the droves over there (including myself) who are already Certified and good to go.
                So let me get this straight. Even though that SPPD advertises that they accept applications from those already certified as well as those who have not yet been through the academy, the department would rather spend $10K+ to put someone through the academy over getting someone who is already certified? Not quite. Years and years ago SPPD began to run academy classes because their attrition rate was so horrendous that it was the only way they could get enough people to fill positions. While things have gotten better they still run their own academy classes in addition to hiring certified applicants. I know of one person recently who resigned during our FTO program and is working there now. Of course they'd get tons of people to apply if they dropped their college requirement. That doesn't mean they'd be good applicants. Sponsoring allows them to attract applicants who otherwise wouldn't have anything to do with the department.

                I know several people involved in various aspects of training at that department, so I'm pretty well aware of how they operate. Your knowledge of the department is based off of "academy buddies" who don't even work for the department yet and maybe never will. In fact, I can point out numerous threads where you give advice and input to others that is flat out inaccurate, one of which was about my department and whether or not we sponsor. The unfortunate thing is that anyone who does not frequent the forums might actually take the information as the truth and not even realize that you aren't a cop and have no direct knowledge about any department's working conditions or operations. I won't even get into your ratings of agencies as high or low risk based off of your perceptions of their jurisdictions--again, with no real firsthand knowledge.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
                  So let me get this straight. Even though that SPPD advertises that they accept applications from those already certified as well as those who have not yet been through the academy, the department would rather spend $10K+ to put someone through the academy over getting someone who is already certified? Not quite. Years and years ago SPPD began to run academy classes because their attrition rate was so horrendous that it was the only way they could get enough people to fill positions. While things have gotten better they still run their own academy classes in addition to hiring certified applicants. I know of one person recently who resigned during our FTO program and is working there now. Of course they'd get tons of people to apply if they dropped their college requirement. That doesn't mean they'd be good applicants. Sponsoring allows them to attract applicants who otherwise wouldn't have anything to do with the department.

                  I know several people involved in various aspects of training at that department, so I'm pretty well aware of how they operate. Your knowledge of the department is based off of "academy buddies" who don't even work for the department yet and maybe never will. In fact, I can point out numerous threads where you give advice and input to others that is flat out inaccurate, one of which was about my department and whether or not we sponsor. The unfortunate thing is that anyone who does not frequent the forums might actually take the information as the truth and not even realize that you aren't a cop and have no direct knowledge about any department's working conditions or operations. I won't even get into your ratings of agencies as high or low risk based off of your perceptions of their jurisdictions--again, with no real firsthand knowledge.




                  So, thats why when we were all asking questions in my academy about SPD. Our instructor, our coordinator and our director pretty much told us that HCSO, St Pete they all hire on a PREFERENCE that you go through THEIR OWN ACADEMY. In other words, they PREFER not that its MANDATORY but they PREFER which means that is said applicant A (someone who is Cert at my school) compared to another applicant B (non Cert) they would take the applicant B that wasn't Certified. Again, we were told HCSO won't even look at us if we don't have experience and didn't get our Cert from HCC. So, I'm inclined to believe what I've been told by them when I called to confirm it and it was right on. St Pete from what I understand has had that PREFERENCE for sometime now. Especially with how the economy is now and all, when an agency means that they PREFER something. It usually means they look that PREFERENCE STRONGLY when a decision has to be made regarding who to pick to process.





                  As for saying that my advice is flawed. I say most of the time that maybe someone can chime in or maybe someone else has information on a certain topic. The information that I have and give is what I've been told by REAL LEOs not "academy buddies" who are out and about looking just like I'm. If I'm wrong, I will admit it in a heartbeat and I have no issue. Like in the Tampa thread you pointed out. I believed that I saw several Tampa officers (who I thought were full time) at HCC when I was looking to going to their academy. You pointed out to me that they could of possibly been reserve officers and I admitted my flaw because I thought they were full time officers. So, when I give advice and I talk about things. It's either because I knew someone that was a REAL LEO and has worked in that agency OR things that I've learned from school and doing research online. Again, if my information is flawed then fine, I have no problem admitting it.
                  Last edited by NavCop22; 06-01-2011, 12:12 AM.
                  Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    SPPD sponsored 15 cadets this last academy, and 9 of them just started FTO. The SPC academy is run by retired SPPD officers, and the last few classes ends up with a handful of self sponsored recruits being picked up by St. Pete after they graduated. St. Pete recoups them for their academy costs, of course, this is assuming they agree to put in the years with SPPD. Sometimes you just have to get lucky, and hope the timing of a hiring board coincides with your app, or better yet, maybe Clearwater will be hiring. As far as GO goes, he's gone and won't be coming back, which can only mean good things for St. Pete.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ucfmanic did you by chance play paintball?
                      I knew another guy with the same nickname in another forum that played paintball

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NavCop22 View Post
                        Our instructor, our coordinator and our director pretty much told us that HCSO, St Pete they all hire on a PREFERENCE that you go through THEIR OWN ACADEMY. In other words, they PREFER not that its MANDATORY but they PREFER which means that is said applicant A (someone who is Cert at my school) compared to another applicant B (non Cert) they would take the applicant B that wasn't Certified. Again, we were told HCSO won't even look at us if we don't have experience and didn't get our Cert from HCC.
                        Your instructor, coordinator, and director don't know anything about HCSO's hiring process then. EVERYONE hired by HCSO goes through SOT and their academy. You can't get on with HCSO anymore without doing that. They used to take laterals but haven't even done that for a while now. Go to their website and look for yourself. The only position they'll hire is a law enforcement trainee.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by marcodm88 View Post
                          ucfmanic did you by chance play paintball?
                          I knew another guy with the same nickname in another forum that played paintball
                          Nah, must be someone else. lol, and i thought my user name was pretty original. Lol..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'd have to agree with everything Delta has said about SPPD. Morale is still low and the agency still has a very poor reputation. The new mayor has made a few changes, but the main issue is still the administration. Furthermore, if SPPD had an applicant with prior experience rather than a non-cert they would go with the person with the experience. Its much more cost effective to hire someone with experience then have to pay for a cadet to go through the academy. If you want experience quickly and do not have prior experience, SPPD will def expose you to a high call volume in a short amount of time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I spent 7 years working at SPPD. The city is a sh$t hole full of Sh$tbags. Morale sucks due to the administration that has been vurtually unchanged for 15 years. The current mayor has shown he has no desire to make major changes or they would have been done already.

                              If you want experience quickly then get them to put you through the academy and hit the streets. You will see more in 5 years in St. Pete than you will in a career at 90% of the departments in florida.

                              Furthermore if you want answers about being a cop or working the street than stop reading post by persons like NavCop22. If you want answers on how to work the monitor for a shoplifter than ask him.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4514 users online. 163 members and 4351 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X