Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJLAWMAN214
    replied
    According to their website, starting pay is 33K a year. They have FRS retirement. That is much better pay then a few years ago, when they were paying $10.00 an hour, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Taylor13
    replied
    The P section in Palm Coast floods. True story.

Leave a comment:

• tvalliere
    replied
    Finally did my ride along last week. I ended up riding on a Saturday night from 6p-1a. It was surprisingly busy. I rode with a younger deputy, who had only been on 9 months. I was his first rider so he wasn't sure exactly what to do or say, but excited to have someone ride with him, which is a welcomed change. I asked all the typical questions, and got all positive
    responses. Not sure if he's too new to know better, or if the department is that good. Met a Cpl, Sgt, and LT, all were
    extremely friendly, and asked if I had any specific questions about the department. I've ridden with basically all the
    departments in Volusia and Flagler Counties, minus VCSO so far. and have to say Flagler County is at the top of the list from what I've seen. I understand it's only one ride with them, but from what I saw I liked it. When it comes to VCSO I've
    heard nothing but good things, and being the largest department in the two counties it obviously has the most opportunities. It's funny, most of the students in my class all want to work for the county, some are putting all their eggs in that basket.
    Me, I'm not too sure. At this point being 37 years old, and having tattoos on my forearms will limit my choices right off the
    bat. There's a few departments in my county here that won't even talk to me because of my tats. Oh well I say, there's
    68 counties in the state of Florida, with tons of municipal departments, so there is a place for me. I'm thankful I'm able to
    move anywhere in the State, and willing to do so. Good luck to everyone.

ps, not sure why my posts come out all broken up all of a sudden, I apologize.

Leave a comment:

• dannmann1050
    replied
    Pay attention to the so-called "red flags"... They are there for a reason.......

Leave a comment:

• bob3812
    replied
    good luck, sorry to hear about the confusion you experienced.

Leave a comment:

• tvalliere
    replied
    Well, it gets worse. I show up last Saturday night for my ride and a LT responds to my location. He says they weren't notified of my appointment, and asked if I could reschedule. I was to be contacted again last week to set up another ride, and haven't heard anything since. I guess I'll start the process over again on my own. I'm genuinely interested in the department, just haven't had the best of luck yet. Keep you posted if I ever end up riding.

Leave a comment:

• bob3812
    replied
    good luck, hope you have some fun.

Leave a comment:

• dannmann1050
    replied
    4 hrs?? Geez.. Not even enough time to warm the seat. Oh well, hopefully something happens for you

Leave a comment:

• tvalliere
    replied
    Well, I finalized my ride along this morning. After numerous attempts, calls, voicemails, and heartache. I may have jumped the gun thinking this department was different from some of the others I've encountered. Anyway, I ride this Saturday night for (4) hours. I was hoping to go a little longer but I guess it's how they do it. I'll report as to what I found.

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    i was at a public gathering to honor a pines cop for valor.......it was public safety appreciation nite,
    the asst chief for hwpd was their, he bought pizza and drinks, he's running for sheriff, the demo crat canidate scott israel was their, sheriff lamberti was their & fire dept command staff, a old buddy from 20 yrs ago who was a Lt...asked me if i wanted to do a ride along..i had to laugh....26 yrs was enough !! ( deputize me for a john wayne bar room brawl )...now that i'd go for...

Leave a comment:

• tvalliere
    replied
    Sounds good, I'll let you know what I learn.

Leave a comment:

• bob3812
    replied
    good luck on your ride along and thanks for any input....when you do a ride along, if you would, ask about the department's morale....how's the current sheriff, what's their call volume and their pay scale, (starting, with or without experience, and what do they top out at and at how many years....if you go to Palm Coast, how many guys on a shift etc...) This was just an area I was looking at and was interested in.....not alot of people on this site had first hand knowledge....thanks....

Leave a comment:

• tvalliere
    replied
    Ya, BSO transferred me to a few different departments, and never got a final answer on where to get the ride along paperwork. I actually got a fax # from Miami Beach, because the paperwork was available online, but faxed it off (2) months ago, and haven't heard anything. I tried calling, but got nowhere. So, I'm learning unless you are in the area, it's next to impossible to set anything up. Oh, same as Monroe County SO, no luck there as well. I still have till December in the academy (part time class), but I'm itching to get out there and learn as much as I can you know. I want to know from the surface anyway that I'm choosing the best departments to apply at.

Leave a comment:

• NavCop22
    replied
    Originally posted by tvalliere View Post
    Got the paperwork for the ride along from HR, surprisingly friendly, and helpful. Refreshing so far! Try calling BSO or Miami and getting someone to help you.

Been there and done that with both agencies. lol

I would say though that BSO is the worse. Even if you dare ask about the ride along program. Your looked at as if you were an alien or had the plague. At least with Miami Dade they tell you where to go to get the paperwork. BSO, it was kinda like a treasure hunt. Either they didn't know where to send me or they just plain didn't want to help me. I've done numerous ride alongs with local agencies in my area and all of them have been super friendly to me when it comes to the ride along request and some have gotten excited that they have someone interested. South Florida is just a different world, different world my friend lol.
    Last edited by NavCop22; 08-02-2011, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tvalliere
    replied
    Got the paperwork for the ride along from HR, surprisingly friendly, and helpful. Refreshing so far! Try calling BSO or Miami and getting someone to help you.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5689 users online. 338 members and 5351 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X