300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Sponsor VALENCIA CJI (June 2011)

I was curious if anyone else on here is self sponsoring this June at the Valencia CJI?

Academy starting June, 27th, 2011.

Cheers

Almost went to that academy myself a few years ago. Talked to your command staff and toured your academy. It is a really nice and modern academy. Almost felt like I was in a museum when I was there lol. Good Luck man!!!!! You'll have a blast.
    Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

Originally posted by NavCop22 View Post
      Almost went to that academy myself a few years ago. Talked to your command staff and toured your academy. It is a really nice and modern academy. Almost felt like I was in a museum when I was there lol. Good Luck man!!!!! You'll have a blast.
      Yeah, it is a real solid academy. Cant wait.

Thanks , I appreciate that !! It's been a long time coming!

Comment

Nice, I went to the orientation last year, then decided not to go because I thought Probation was what i wanted to do. Now I am working, and planning on doing the night academy in january when it comes around again. Valencia has a really good name, and the hiring agencies know this. I actually live in brevard county, and am going to commute to go there. ;-) Good luck man!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ucfmanic View Post
          Nice, I went to the orientation last year, then decided not to go because I thought Probation was what i wanted to do. Now I am working, and planning on doing the night academy in january when it comes around again. Valencia has a really good name, and the hiring agencies know this. I actually live in brevard county, and am going to commute to go there. ;-) Good luck man!!!

Ouch..........Why not just go to the one thats in Brevard? That's going to hurt you lol
          Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

If you're looking to get picked up in Brevard, going to the BCC academy is your best option. You'll be exposed to almost all of the departments and the instructors do talk about you... Just sayin. If you have any questions about it, let me know.
            I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
            - Mark Twain

Comment

yea, its a bit of a drive, both night academies start in january. I'd prefer to get hired on with an agency in orlando... no let me re-phrase that... I want to get picked up somewhere!!!, and have heard better things about VCC. Although once the time gets closer, i may just do it here. I know that portions of the BCC academy are in titusville. Doing it in county would be a lot more convinient for me, but all of my friends who got picked up rather quickly all went to Valencia. Even the ones who work in brevard. I am probably just a little biased though, because, i dont know a single person that went to BCC. That makes sense too though ArmyDriver, I plan to apply everywhere, and already working in brevard County, i would pobably benefit more from staying in county. lol, i just know I am going to be in one or the other come january.
              Last edited by Ucfmanic; 05-27-2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

yea, its a bit of a drive, both night academies start in january. I'd prefer to get hired on with an agency in orlando... no let me re-phrase that... I want to get picked up somewhere!!!, and have heard better things about VCC. Although once the time gets closer, i may just do it here. I know that portions of the BCC academy are in titusville. Doing it in county would be a lot more convinient for me, but all of my friends who got picked up rather quickly all went to Valencia. Even the ones who work in brevard. I am probably just a little biased though, because, i dont know a single person that went to BCC. That makes sense too though ArmyDriver, I plan to apply everywhere, and already working in brevard County, i would pobably benefit more from staying in county. lol, i just know I am going to be in one or the other come january.

Dude at the end, its the SAME cert as everyone else gets lol. It really and honestly doesn't matter where you get your cert. Its the same training anywhere you go in the State. If you ask ArmyDiver, Whats the best academy to go to? he is going to say BCC because he went there. If you ask me, Whats the best academy to go to? I'm going to say MTI. So, don't go by what other people say. Go to the academy thats more closer to you and more readily available which in your case it seems to be BCC.

Comment

Most definately makes sense. I originally planned to go to which ever one had a night academy coming up first, BCC logistically is a much better fit for me, between work, driving, and studying it is going to be some LONG days, and being a short drive from home would probably be benificial. Does BCC do PT and DT everyday like valencia?

Comment

I actually just graduated from there. We had a guy from Brevard attend Valencia, and he got hired by Brevard during the academy. So do whatever you feel is best for you. Personally I think Valencia is very good...then again I've only been there....
                    FOR WITH GOD, NOTHING SHALL BE IMPOSSIBLE.......LUKE 1:37

Comment

Most definately makes sense. I originally planned to go to which ever one had a night academy coming up first, BCC logistically is a much better fit for me, between work, driving, and studying it is going to be some LONG days, and being a short drive from home would probably be benificial. Does BCC do PT and DT everyday like valencia?
                      BCC has PT spread out throughout the academy but doesn't have it daily. (At least I haven't seen it that way... I'm full time day class.) Some weeks you'll have it 3-4 times for 1 or 2 hours and others you'll have it once or twice. During high liability, you don't have any PT. As far as having to go to Titusville, the only part you have to do there is Firearms... and it's in Cocoa/Rockledge, not Titusville. The driving pad is in Palm Bay so you'll have to make the trip there as well. But, you'll likely spend a weekend doing that kind of stuff to cut down on the traveling and get in the time you really need to do it.

DT is done as a block... you have it every day, along with PT every day (twice a day actually) until you're done. It takes a toll on your body but it helps you get it down well when you're doing it like that.

Just remember, you'll be doing this for 4+ hours, every night, for 9+ months... anything that will make it easier on you, will be helpful. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

Originally posted by NavCop22 View Post
                      If you ask ArmyDiver, Whats the best academy to go to? he is going to say BCC because he went there.
                      Haha, not necessarily. While a good academy, it's far from perfect. It is, however, incredibly convenient. And, as you said, it's all the same cert when you look at it. I've heard excellent things about Valencia as well as Indian River, Seminole, and Santa Fe. It's all a matter of what is fits your life. If you're doing a night class... for 9+ months... driving all the way to Valencia is going to be a PITA.
                      I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
                      - Mark Twain

Comment

Yea, I was talking with the other half this weekend, and just trying to finalize my specific plans. I think i will probagly go through with BCC. They whole 9 months of driving would get old really quickly after an 8 hour day. I think especially for me BCC is a better deal, the only trip would be out to palm bay, but classes would be 15 - 20 mins from work including traffic, and if the firearms class is the one right off 95, then thats less then 10 mins from work for me. :-) haha, thanks for helping me make up my mind guys, and sorry to the original poster, for stealing the thread.

Comment

I am doing either VCC or Seminole State's program, but I am leaning toward Seminole State just because the process so far has been fairly painless and they do not require applicants to have medical insurance. I am hoping to get in to either one asap once my financial aid issues get sorted out.

Comment

Welcome to Law Enforcement,
                            As ArmyDiver mentioned, your instructors are also informal recruiters and in this economic environment that could be a blessing or a curse. Some things just can't be documented on a job application, ie teamwork, work ethic, motivation, humor, health, demeanor/presence, etc.

I graduated from BCC many moons ago (95-L1), but was hired on by Ocoee PD (suburb of Orlando), and took many advanced LE courses at Valencia. I have no complaints about either training facility and the curriculum is the same regardless of where you get your basic recruit training. I will say OPD and OCSO usually have the monopoly of instructors at Valencia. Considering the greater Orlando area is #1 in the state for violent crime (6th in the country), the instructors will have more depth of experience to pull from.

One final bit of advice, don't bankrupt yourself for/in the academy with things such as excessive $$ for gas, extra accessories, etc. There are more applicants applying for LE jobs than ever before, meaning much more work on recruiters and background investigators. In turn this means it will take longer to get hired and start collecting a salary. Expect the worst. Start dropping applications now.

Good luck,
                            Tac Six One

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~Romans 13

Comment

@ Rich,

great point about the excessive $$ for gas and other accessories. I have decided that I am going to go the part time route at BCC, and am shooting for getting my name out. I am a Probation Officer now, but have always really wanted to do LE. I am setting an appointment to sit down with one of the Background Investigators hopefully next week sometime, to sit down and go over my background before I drop the $350 to registration and the background investigation to get started. The money up front was steering me back to Valencia, but it makes more sense to do that than, to get certified then find out you cant get hired because of your background. I have 4 or 5 speeding tickets from 98 when i was 17 that I am worried about, nothing criminal though , but i just want to hear from the BI that its fine, before i get into the BI and find out otherwise. lol...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6718 users online. 354 members and 6364 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X