Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crossing From Blue To Red, Is Anyone Firefighter Certified?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing From Blue To Red, Is Anyone Firefighter Certified?

Hey guys, just wondered if anyone in here is cross certified as a Firefighter? If so how did you decide where to go? I'm considering going to the Fire Academy and getting my cert in Firefighting.

I'm hanging my towel up for Law Enforcement, it ain't going to happen for me. I just wish I could of known this before wasting my time and resources in the six month academy. I wish I could of gone for Firefighting instead.
    Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

I sent you a visitor message dude

Comment

Originally posted by biodole
      Why do you say it "isn't going to happen for you" in regards to law enforcement?

It just isn't, I've applied to more agencies than I can think of at the moment and I've gotten turned down by eight agencies. It just isn't going to happen for me.
      Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

So you're saying you've applied...and got turned down even before the background document process? Or turned down after multiple steps in the hiring process (ie: oral boards, etc.)?

Yes, all except for one turned me down BEFORE the background even started. The one that didn't, turned me down while the background was in full swing.

Comment

Originally posted by NavCop22 View Post
          It just isn't, I've applied to more agencies than I can think of at the moment and I've gotten turned down by eight agencies. It just isn't going to happen for me.
          Keep trying don't give up yet. Make a career a career and not a job, If being a police officer is what you truly want to do you will never stop thinking about it. I was rejected by two police services in 2009, I took a step re-evaluated my self learned a new language and started a new degree and I plan on applying again in late 2011.I'm just trying to say I've been where you have been before and I felt like giving up, but every time I seen a police car drive by I could only think of one thing me behind the wheel.

Never give up on something you cant go a day without thinking about.

Comment

That's very unusual...could you give me some info about yourself?

1. Any arrests on record?
            2. Any drugs within a year of application?
            3. History of large amounts of drugs used/possessed?
            4. Ever sold drugs?
            5. Driving record?
            6. Age?
            7. College degree?
            8. Work history?
            9. Legible Handwriting?
            10. History of disciplinary action at school/work?

Let me know, I might be able to help you.

I heavily doubt you can help me. But here you go,

1. Never touched any type of drugs ever in my life.
            2. Never been arrested in my life.
            3. I've never used or sold drugs in my whole life.
            4. I have three tickets in my record. I have two from high school, 2002. I have one in 2009 for failing to stop at sign.
            5. 27.
            6. No Degree.
            7. The thing that I think is holding me back is in 2004, I worked for a sheriffs office as a Jail Deputy and I was let go because I had a web profile that was made as a joke. It had off color jokes and statements. So, I was let go because of that.
            8. My handwriting isn't the best in the world but you can understand what I'm writing lol.
            9. Never had any disciplinary problems at school or work except for being let go from that sheriffs office in 2004.

That's all of my info in a nutshell. Like I said, I doubt you can help me. I appreciate any feedback you might have. I'm still pursuing a career in Firefighting. I don't think I can be in LE, at least until the economy gets better and the market isn't flooded with LE applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by JD_TO View Post
              Keep trying don't give up yet. Make a career a career and not a job, If being a police officer is what you truly want to do you will never stop thinking about it. I was rejected by two police services in 2009, I took a step re-evaluated my self learned a new language and started a new degree and I plan on applying again in late 2011.I'm just trying to say I've been where you have been before and I felt like giving up, but every time I seen a police car drive by I could only think of one thing me behind the wheel.

Never give up on something you cant go a day without thinking about.

I've gotten turned down by eight agencies...............

Comment

hmmm that is very helpful...I think I can narrow it down now..

1. Lack of college is definitely hurting you - most depts want AA or better now.
                2. The 2004 S.O. dismissal is also an issue....but shouldn't matter in the initial application phase.

3. Some further questions - do you have any OUTSTANDING debt? If so how much, details.
                4. Married/divorced?
                5. Children?
                6. military? if so, what kind of discharge?
                7. Any medical conditions?

No, I don't have any outstanding debt. I filed for backruptcy in 2006 and all of my debts have been charged off because of the filing. I only have two ongoing debts right now. Both of which I have them paid on time.

Divorced with a child.

Military, General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions.

No medical problems.

As for the college thing, most places around this area don't care for college. A huge part of the people that have gotten hired from my graduating class didn't have college.

Comment

ah ha...

ok well now that makes sense...the bankruptcy is DEFINITELY hurting you. That is a huge thing.

Divorced with a child is also a big deal in some cases...depending on circumstances, alimony, child support, etc.

have you tried calling a department, speaking to the recruiting unit, and telling them your situation and seeing what they had to say? Most recruiters will sit down and talk to you if you make an appointment and will tell you exactly what the issue is.

So in essence, I wasted time and resources by going to the academy when I should of gone to Firefighting. Basically, thats what it all boils down to. I appreciate your insight but what you have said isn't really new to me. I've just seen people get hired with DUIs and what not and I thought that if they got hired with that, that I would be a shoe in for sure because I don't have any issues like that in my background. Oh well, guess its someone they knew or something.

Hoping to hear from someone who is Firefighter Certified.
                  Last edited by NavCop22; 05-19-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I rather get the door slammed in my face by a letter than by a real person. By me going to a recruiter and talking face to face isn't going to accomplish anything other than getting the door slammed in my face much faster than the letter.

As for EMS and Fire, I have a friend that just graduated the Fire Academy not even three months and he already has a position with a Fire District. Although, he gets paid min wage because he is on a volunteer basis, its still something. I've also been told by several people to do Fire so I think I going to listen to them now. Here I'm, graduated in Feb and still nothing for LE.

Comment

I gotta say...the defeatist attitude will not help you.

You gotta get your game face on or else you won't find a job.

Sometimes it takes a LOT of persistence...hang in there.

Its so easy to say "dont give up" "stop being negative" "hang in there" its so easy to say those things when you are not the one getting door after door slammed in your face. I bet you anything that I have applied and have tried A LOT harder than anyone in this whole forum to get a job in LE. Yet, here I'm still without anything insight.

How many agencies turned you down? Not as many as me I'm sure.

How many applications, altogether would you say you put out when you were trying to get picked up? I bet it wasn't as many as mine.

I'm not a defeatist, but a REALIST that has seen that you can only crash into a wall so many times before you realize that the wall isn't going to buckle or break. Crashing more and more into the wall isn't going to make a damn difference.

Comment

I'm going to stray from the rest of the responses here and say that you're probably making the right choice. Even though you were in corrections, you were still fired from a sworn position at a law enforcement agency. Very few--if any--agencies are going to hire someone fired from another agency while in sworn capacity. Maybe if you were otherwise extremely qualified it would be overlooked by some agencies, however you're not. You have a relatively recent bankruptcy and no college. You MAY still find an agency that will hire you, however that will require you to apply all over the state at agencies that have a hard time keeping people (and tend to have more lax hiring standards). If you aren't comfortable with the prospect of possibly moving to another part of the state and want to keep working where you are, you're probably not going to have anymore luck than you already have.

As to your original question, while firefighter hiring standards and background investigations usually aren't as stringent as they are for LEOs, it's also not like getting a job at your local burger joint. They could still view the termination and bankruptcy the same as every LE agency you've applied with. When firefighters do stupid things and end up in the public eye it's a black mark on the fire department just like it is when it happens to cops, so fire departments don't want to hire people with a lot of baggage either.

I personally wouldn't pay my way through another academy without a guaranteed job. I especially wouldn't do it if the job was going to be on a volunteer basis making minimum wage. You can do much better in the private sector. Have you considered trying to get hired by DJJ or maybe in corrections again somewhere else?

Comment

In South Florida, jobs as FF are as tough as LEO to obtain.
                          In addition, you will need to be at lest an EMT in second semester of Paramedic, or already Paramedic to have any chance in this area. I would think that a degree is less a requirement for FF, but with the time you would spend in school for your paramedic, you should be able to obtain an AA very easily with only a few additional classes.

In the Northern part of Florida, you can probably achieve to find some department that won't require the Paramedic certification.

What I would suggest:
                          Volunteer with some LEO agency as reserve to get/keep your FDLE certification.
                          At the same time go to college to get an AA/BS. If you are interested in the fire side, you can take some classes for the Fire Officer, Fire Inspector syllabus, that will give you credits towards a degree and certificates for your fire career. Become an EMT then maybe Paramedic. It can help you in both LEO and FF jobs search.
                          Continue to apply to all openings you see. You could be lucky.

Comment

ok well now that makes sense...the bankruptcy is DEFINITELY hurting you. That is a huge thing.

Not necessarily. Do you realize how many people filed for BR within the past several years? Is all about the reasons WHY one files, not a generalized, "well, he filed for chapter 7, he must be financially irresponsible." Some people just dont make enough to pay their bills while others go on a spending frenzy and run up thousands worth of credit card debt.

I know a guy who filed a couple years ago, not because he wanted to, but because he had to, to survive. He lost his job and couldn't find employment quick enough. He did manage to get a good job but he was running about $300 short every month and got farther and farther behind. On top of that, he lived on credit cards for around 8 months. And I mean, groceries, rammen and bread, paying electric bills, rent, you name it. He sold off anything and everything he could find to make a few bucks. That's not financially irresponsible, that's the product of a failing economy and being laid off. That's survival. And that's understandable and that WILL NOT hurt you.

Military, General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions.
                            Thats what caught my eye. I'm curious to know about this.

Comment

my brother is fire certified and a paramedic and has been trying to get a ff job for almost 2 years now. It's alot tougher for firefighters out there in my opinion. Less job openings. If you cant get past the initial steps for police, don't waste your time for fire. When a department for fire opens up applications, they get like 2000 applicants (at least.) It's tough out there for prospective firefighters.

My brother has been a paramedic for about a year now for an ambulance company and volunteers at a fire dept. He has no criminal record, no tickets, no drugs, in general he is a good candidate. If you want to take that chance and spend the money on all the training, go ahead nobody will stop you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4102 users online. 268 members and 3834 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X