300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volusia County SO vs. Brevard vs. Ft. Lauderdale PD

I've been an officer with charleston pd for the past few years and have grown rather tired of the political, stat-driven, tourist-oriented scene within the dept. I'm looking at the above mentioned departments as potential places of future employment; however, I do not know much about them. I've already applied with FLPD but am a little skeptical about the internal atmosphere there. Ideally, I would like to work for a good SO, and have heard that Brevard is pretty good. But, they don't pay very much. I have heard nothing about Volusia

So, I'm reaching out to my peers with the hope that you could send some information my way. I'm the first in my family to enter law enforcement so needless to say, my LE network isn't nearly as extensive as it could be. Any info, advice, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Volusia County Sheriffs Office is a top notch agency with very good training however the pay is very low. With prior experience you will start out at around $15.34 an hour and they have not had a raise in several years. There is unlimited overtime to supplement the income. Brevard and Volusia wont compare salary wise with the agencies in South Florida but the cost of living is a lot higher down there too. Other than working in Orange County(Orlando PD or the Sheriffs Officer) you will be hard pressed to find starting pay over 36-38k a year in Central Florida. Hope this helps

Comment

Yes shockers, that certainly does help. Isn't it true that Florida doesn't have income tax? If that's the case, then the 42-45k I make here in Charleston (gross) could be comprable to my net if I were to consider Brevard County. Right?

"If you want to get away from politics and a stat driven atmosphere, steer clear of FLPD."

Really? I've heard that before. Do you work in the area or know someone who does?

Comment

No we do not have state income tax and for the time the sheriffs office pays your retirement therfore you dont have to contribute to your retirement although they are trying to make people on the FRS contribute. 36k a year with overtime factored in your will probably gross around 40. The key is finding a place that has overtime and off duty work to supplement the income. Im not sure about cost of living in Brevard County but housing prices have dropped and im sure its cheaper than living in Orange County

Comment

major changes with all sheriff's deputy's retirement, do your homework and make a decision based on all the facts...
          long time friends are bailing out now, with their 25 plus yrs , so they don't lose the cola.
          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

ft lauderdale is good to work for, and it depends on what the city manager's agenda is.....
            plenty of crime to go around, no cola for a pension, no subsidy for health insurance....basic police work, i live in the heart of the city...yr gonna earn yr money.

Comment

brevard county sheriff, i worked for them 2 1/2 yrs....83 to 86, the current elected sheriff is a pal of mine,
              the county commission are a bunch of cheapskates, republicans....tax base is not the greatest depending on the space program, i moved and did 23 1/2 with broward, and worked for legendary sheriff NICK NAVARRO

Comment

Originally posted by biodole
                Yes, I know several that work(ed) for FLPD.

My dept. is the anti-FLPD, and tends to be very pro-cop and very quick to defend their officers rather than let them go. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
                Which agency do you work for now?

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop View Post
                  brevard county sheriff, i worked for them 2 1/2 yrs....83 to 86, the current elected sheriff is a pal of mine,
                  the county commission are a bunch of cheapskates, republicans....tax base is not the greatest depending on the space program, i moved and did 23 1/2 with broward, and worked for legendary sheriff NICK NAVARRO
                  Wow, it's been quite some time since you worked for Brevard. My first choice would be Broward County; however, they aren't hiring and there's no telling when they will start hiring again since they are trying to fill reserve positions at the moment. Have you heard anything about the morale within the agency at Brevard? Maybe your friend Mr. Parker could give you some insight...

Comment

Draw a line over to the gulf coast agencies and your starting salaries will be between 5 and 8k more.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4322 users online. 203 members and 4119 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X