300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Sponser vs Non certified applicant

Regarding the recent posts of openings for Ft lauderdale and Hollywood I had a few questions.

I am currently graduating with my BS in Criminal Justice as of May 2011.

Considering that most places hiring uncertified are also hiring certified, and that there are lots of certified applicants, what kind of chances does an uncertified applicant have?

for example: FLPD has 30 slots open. ~2000 applicants. Lets say more than half are certified. How could they not find 30 great candidates from a pool like that.

I am thinking since I have the funds available to sponsor myself, I should just take the leap and pay for it. This is knowing that I would have done everything possible to make myself a marketable candidate. BS degree from FIU, 420hrs of internship with MBPD, great credit (no loans), employed, pretty acceptable background.

Thanks for your insight. It seems like a good sign these departments are looking at uncertified applicants, but realizing that tons of people with similar or better backgrounds may have already put themselves through the academy makes me worried about putting in applications.

Self-Sponsor yourself, Because no one is going to sponsor you. Unless, you go to St Petersburg Police or Tampa PD. Plus, you will have an upper hand against other applicants with your degree and your certification. I self sponsored myself and I've seen guys in my class that graduated with me that have been picked up over guys that had college degrees because they had their cert and the guy with the degree didn't. Agencies don't want to spend money on you when they can get someone else who is certified already.
    Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

I 100% agree with NavCop, you need to self-sponsor it only makes you a better candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by NavCop22 View Post
        Self-Sponsor yourself, Because no one is going to sponsor you. Unless, you go to St Petersburg Police or Tampa PD.
        Do those agencies send more than others to a full academy?

I assume that doesn't apply to people with current certifications...?

Comment

Originally posted by secondchance1 View Post
          Do those agencies send more than others to a full academy?

I assume that doesn't apply to people with current certifications...?

They send all of their new hires WITHOUT certification through their own academy that they have set up with St Pete College. Tampa Police does the samething as well as Hillsborough County Sheriff. These agencies prefer applicants without certification but with degrees, Because you get taught the way they want you to be taught, Vs going to another academy that isn't run indirectly by them.

For example, I'm certified, However, I'm not eligible to be hired with HCSO because of that requirement. I would have to go through THEIR academy even though I'm certified already. Therefore, they wouldn't hire anyone straight out of the academy I graduated from UNLESS they had three years of prior experience in LE or military LE. The rules with them are tricky and retarded but thats the way it is with them.
          Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

NavCop22,

Ok, got it.

What are your thoughts re: my situation - I have 10+years of LE experience from NY, and am starting to look into getting my FL certification and to make myself more marketable.

I am interested in agencies in the Tampa [general] area, would it be more advantageous to be certified already or just look to go through another academy...?

Comment

Originally posted by secondchance1 View Post
              NavCop22,

Ok, got it.

What are your thoughts re: my situation - I have 10+years of LE experience from NY, and am starting to look into getting my FL certification and to make myself more marketable.

I am interested in agencies in the Tampa [general] area, would it be more advantageous to be certified already or just look to go through another academy...?

Oh your solid then, If you don't have any IA's or a lot of them on you then all you really have to do is take an EOT course. The EOT which is probably just a few weeks long is all you need. You don't have to go through the whole academy, Just take the EOT course anywhere around the state and then you can challenge the FL state exam and get your cert. You will get picked up pretty damn quick with your experience. You have a lot to bring to the table compared to me or anyone straight out of the academy.

If you want any recommendations on where to apply, Hit me up with a PM. I know which agencies are hiring and which aren't. I have a lot of time on my hands so I do checks on depts frequently. I know mostly about the gulf coast though because I live in the Tampa Bay area. I know some on the east coast but not as much as I would like to know.
              Last edited by NavCop22; 04-18-2011, 11:25 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

If you want any recommendations on where to apply, Hit me up with a PM. I know which agencies are hiring and which aren't. I have a lot of time on my hands so I do checks on depts frequently. I know mostly about the gulf coast though because I live in the Tampa Bay area. I know some on the east coast but not as much as I would like to know.
                Tried to PM you - but your Inbox is full...

Comment

I can help with the South Florida area if you need it secondchance. PM me if you need anything.

Comment

Agencies always pick 2-5 non-cert. This is because, they have to give opportunities to those that are starting their career. Looks much better on the dept in the end.

Comment

I've been looking at making a move down to Florida and it's good to see agencies starting to hire again. I'm facing the same dilemma as far as self-sponsoring or not. I have a bachelor's but no LE experience so I'm not really as competitive as I'd like to be. I have a friend who lives in Vero Beach and there's an academy nearby at the Indian River State College, Treasure Coast Public Safety Training Complex. Being able to live at my friends house while attending would be ideal considering I wouldn't really have a significant source of income during that time.

I've noticed that Ft. Lauderdale, Holleywood, etc., which are the agencies I'm looking at(although I wouldn't mind Tampa or Orlando), send their recruits to the Broward College academy. Do agencies tend to prefer candidates from certain academies? Or do they just care that you're state-certified and all of the accredited academies are essentially equal?
                      USCP
                      Applied: 12/09
                      Poly, Psych, Phys: [TBD]

USS:UD
                      Applied: 1/10
                      Initial Interview: 5/11/2010
                      Panel Interview: 7/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Inkel View Post
                        I've been looking at making a move down to Florida and it's good to see agencies starting to hire again. I'm facing the same dilemma as far as self-sponsoring or not. I have a bachelor's but no LE experience so I'm not really as competitive as I'd like to be. I have a friend who lives in Vero Beach and there's an academy nearby at the Indian River State College, Treasure Coast Public Safety Training Complex. Being able to live at my friends house while attending would be ideal considering I wouldn't really have a significant source of income during that time.

I've noticed that Ft. Lauderdale, Holleywood, etc., which are the agencies I'm looking at(although I wouldn't mind Tampa or Orlando), send their recruits to the Broward College academy. Do agencies tend to prefer candidates from certain academies? Or do they just care that you're state-certified and all of the accredited academies are essentially equal?

Depends on the area, If it is in the Tampa Bay area, For example, Tampa PD or St Pete then yes it does matter which academy you go to. Just depends on where you want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by biodole
                          This is VERY true, but always has bothered me. For example, the Broward College Institute of Public Safety currently has 2 classes going on I believe. Both of which have been 20-30 recruits in it. That means that around 40-60 people are being sponsored by police depts right now (Broward does not do self-sponsor). They had recruits from Delray, Boynton, Boca, Hollywood, Coral Springs, and others. I couldn't believe this when I saw it. Some of these agencies are NOT EVEN accepting applications! How do they go about sponsoring people? Well I'll tell you, it really comes down to WHO you know and not WHAT you know. Most of those recruits are no better qualified than the lower 25% of the application pool (believe me, I know several of them lol). However, they were either CSA's (community service aides) or very good friends with the chief (or even related). As a result, people out there who are highly qualified don't even get a chance, whereas people like this get a free ride. Things like this are part of the problem with LE today. Sure, they might put through a good percentage of great future cops. But the rest of them are certainly not worth their weight in salt.

I had to do things the hardest way possible. BA degree, EMT Cert, Self-Sponsor LEO, Top of my class in grades, Top of my class in firearms, No credit problems ($0 indebted with good credit score), no bankruptcies, no arrests, no citations in the last 3 years prior to applying, no divorces, no wife, etc. Despite all of that, it took me almost 2 years of actively searching to finally get hired. Truly infuriating when I see some people getting sponsored that don't even deserve to be CSA's.

Sigh, politics.
                          this makes me really sad.. because i am not cert and i am working as hard as i can to be able to get myself sponsored.. but meh.. what can we do.. i guess i can just hope for the best.. and maybe ill get a lucky break! :/

Comment

LE is full of politics and who you know. That's a given when you get into this job or any public sector job. It is really sad that it is like that because like the previous poster said. Those people, Probably the majority of them, Wouldn't of made it past the front door of ANY academy if it weren't for the people they know or are related to. Best thing to do in this job is to do your job and look the other way when dealing with the politics of this job.

As to SanJohnny you'll get in somewhere eventually. Just keep trucking on brother.

Comment

As to SanJohnny you'll get in somewhere eventually. Just keep trucking on brother.
                              I know. I mean eventually I understand sometime of life I will. I just want that moment to be as soon as possible. but I will jsut always give it my all, and apply everywhere. Hopefully sooner or later I get in. Btw Nav.. are you cert? or working under an agency atm?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5906 users online. 294 members and 5612 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X