• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Ft. Lauderdale Hiring Certified and Non-Certified

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/for...fl/default.cfm

Job Title: POLICE OFFICER CERTIFIED
    Closing Date/Time: Continuous
    Salary: $53,476.80 - $75,878.40 Annually **EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 2, 2011 (2.5% GENERAL INCREASE) SALARY RANGE $54,808.00 - $77, 771.20 annually
    Job Type: Full Time

THE REQUIREMENTS:

These are the minimum requirements to test for the position. A background investigation will be conducted as part of the testing process to determine if the “moral character” of the candidate is appropriate for employment as a police officer. “Moral character” is determined by examination of the life experiences of the candidate including, but not limited to, the following listed factors.

1. Be a United States citizen at time of application.

2. Be at least 19 years of age upon appointment.

3. Possess, or be eligible to obtain, a Florida driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.

4. Be of good moral character and never have been convicted of any felony or a misdemeanor involving perjury, false statement, domestic violence or have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States. Any person who, after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to, or is found guilty of a felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence shall not be eligible for employment or appointment as an officer, in spite of suspension of sentence or withholding of adjudication.

5. Have graduated from a standard high school or possess an equivalent education. Graduation from the United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) or possession of a General Equivalency Diploma is acceptable only when accompanied by transcript of grades. If a degree was acquired in a country other than the United States, evidence of equivalence from a recognized agency must be provided. Out-of-state GED or USAFI must be acceptable by State of Florida Police Standards Council.

6. Proof of FDLE Certification and/or Police Officer Certification with training curriculum from home/state academy. Out of State Certified candidates must have one year of full-time, independent, work experience in patrol, to be considered for the 92-hour Exam Qualification Course.

THE EXAMINATION AND HOW TO APPLY:

Oral Interview - 100%
    Preliminary Background Investigation - Qualifying
    Conditional Job Offer - N/A
    Polygraph Examination - Qualifying
    Psychological Examination - Qualifying
    Basic Motor Skills Test (Physical Agility) - Pass/Fail
    Swim Test - Pass/Fail
    Comprehensive Background Investigation - Qualifying
    Medical Examination (including drug screen) - Pass/Fail

Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each weighted part of the examination in order to qualify. Processing of applicants will be conducted in accordance with eligibility lists as mandated through civil service requirements.

An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran’s preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale’s veteran’s preference claim form (form J204).

Job Title: POLICE OFFICER NON-CERTIFIED
    Closing Date/Time: Continuous
    Salary: $50,897.60 - $75,878.40 Annually **EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 2, 2011 (2.5% GENERAL INCREASE) SALARY RANGE $52,166.40 - $77,771.20 annually
    Job Type: Full Time

THE REQUIREMENTS:

These are the minimum requirements to test for the position. A background investigation will be conducted as part of the testing process to determine if the “moral character” of the candidate is appropriate for employment as a police officer. “Moral character” is determined by examination of the life experiences of the candidate including, but not limited to, the following listed factors.

1. Be a United States citizen at time of application.

2. Be at least 19 years of age upon appointment.

3. Possess, or be eligible to obtain, a Florida driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.

4. Be of good moral character and never have been convicted of any felony or a misdemeanor involving perjury, false statement, domestic violence or have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States. Any person who, after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to, or is found guilty of a felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence shall not be eligible for employment or appointment as an officer, in spite of suspension of sentence or withholding of adjudication.

5. Have graduated from a standard high school or possess an equivalent education. Graduation from the United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) or possession of a General Equivalency Diploma is acceptable only when accompanied by transcript of grades. If a degree was acquired in a country other than the United States, evidence of equivalence from a recognized agency must be provided. Out-of-state GED or USAFI must be acceptable by State of Florida Police Standards Council.

THE EXAMINATION AND HOW TO APPLY:

*Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJBAT) - 40%
    *Basic Motor Skills Test (Physical Agility) - Pass/Fail
    *Swim Test - Pass/Fail
    *Administered by the Criminal Justice Testing Center. Qualifying test score must accompany application.
    Oral Interview - 60%
    Preliminary Background Investigation - Qualifying
    Conditional Job Offer - N/A
    Polygraph Examination - Qualifying
    Psychological Examination - Qualifying
    Comprehensive Background Investigation - Qualifying
    Medical Examination (including drug screen) - Pass/Fail

Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each weighted part of the examination in order to qualify. Processing of applicants will be conducted in accordance with eligibility lists as mandated through civil service requirements.

An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran’s preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale’s veteran’s preference claim form (form J204).

Anyone have any thoughts regarding this department pros/cons, etc...?

Also for someone who is not from Florida - any recommendations on where to move to within a reasonable distance of the job (Family with young kids)?

Comment

I will be sending in my app on tuesday.. saw the oppening last night! Hope I get hired :/

Comment

If any current Officers plan on applying or have applied in the past please PM me. Would like to shoot the breeze with you. I've got 6 years on the job (3 with small dept and 3 with huge city dept.) and I am considering FLPD.

Only want to hear from experienced certified officers who are familiar with the lateral process. I would be coming from from DC to Fl.

Thanks,
        KrinkBusta
        sigpic

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts regarding this department pros/cons, etc...
          The con that pops out to me is the amount of applicants who have already sponsored themselves through the Academy applying with the department. FL has not really been doing any hiring in a few years, yet they have been running self sponsored Academies non stop for the last two years. A fellow NY'er I would be concerned with spending my money traveling so behind the eight ball. Between Certified LEO and self sponsored (and cost) I'm not feeling good about my chances.

That's just my opinion hopefully someone with better knowledge will chime in.
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by krinkbusta View Post
            If any current Officers plan on applying or have applied in the past please PM me. Would like to shoot the breeze with you. I've got 6 years on the job (3 with small dept and 3 with huge city dept.) and I am considering FLPD.

Only want to hear from experienced certified officers who are familiar with the lateral process. I would be coming from from DC to Fl.

Thanks,
            KrinkBusta
            KrinkBusta - I'm in a similar situation, if you glean any solid information - I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mind passing it along....and I'll do the same.

Ironically my background is similar to yours in terms of splitting time between a large city job and a smaller suburban one.

Without a current FL Cert (waiver) I don't even think I could apply as a Certified Lateral - as I have yet to begin the process for that. I'm going to call and ask about that...

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
              The con that pops out to me is the amount of applicants who have already sponsored themselves through the Academy applying with the department. FL has not really been doing any hiring in a few years, yet they have been running self sponsored Academies non stop for the last two years. A fellow NY'er I would be concerned with spending my money traveling so behind the eight ball. Between Certified LEO and self sponsored (and cost) I'm not feeling good about my chances.

That's just my opinion hopefully someone with better knowledge will chime in.
              That is a Valid point!

Can anyone speak to if Agencies value prior Police experience or would rather have someone who has a certification but no experience...?

Comment

But dont usually cities hire a certain amount of certified's and a certain amount of non-certified's. I mean what would be the point of putting non-cetf.. if you will be competing vs other personel with years of experience.. or that have already done the Academy.. meaning the department will save that money. Im sure that they wont pick a non-cert over a cert.. unless that cert has a criminal record stablished.. done any drugs.. or simply doesnt meet any of the reqs.

Comment

I went through the Ft. Lauderdale process last year and didnt make it through because I didnt have either Degree or Military experience. I was Ranked 13 and by the time I went through process there were only 2 spotsw left. This time I have my degree so hopefully this helps me out a bit.

Basiclly what the BI told me was that they had a certain amount of opennings and they usually pick out Certfied first but they always choose 1 or 2 non-cert. or more.

It's all basically if they like you, and what youare bringing to the table and your background.

As you can see there is always an Academy going on in Broward College from all the Agencies in Broward, so they are sending people to Academy even if is one or two from each Agency, but they make up the 30 + you see out there everytime you go and take a test.

Comment

So ness.. I still have the opportunity of getting hired as a non-cert. anyways. how did you rank 13? what was you cjbat Score? And more or less how do you know the way that they rank you. Do they tell you? Also. Don’t they keep your application for consideration for next openings? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SanJohnnySan View Post
                      So ness.. I still have the opportunity of getting hired as a non-cert. anyways. how did you rank 13? what was you cjbat Score? And more or less how do you know the way that they rank you. Do they tell you? Also. Don’t they keep your application for consideration for next openings? Thanks!
                      That's another thing, some agencies dont count your CJBAT score in the ranking process. FT. Lauderdale does ,and I got an 82 and he told me that affected my ranking as well.

They rank you based on the Oral Interview and then from there they take into consideration if you have degree, veteran, and cjbat score and where you live. You get extra points for veteran, degree, and where you live. SO basically when I went I didnt get any points because I didnt have a degree, I wasnt a veteran, and I didint live in FtL

They keep your application for 6 months, thats what the BI told me, but if you were not ranked in the top 5 they are not going to call you. That's why I'm applying again after a year passed already, hoping I do better in interview, and having a degree my help me a bit.

Comment

well.. i do not live in ftl.. i do not have a degree and i am not a vet. i got an 85 on cjbat. so im looking more or less the same as you. lets see if i get lucky and do really good on the oral board. how long does it take for them to usually interview you for the oral board? if your going to get an interview

Comment

well.. i do not live in ftl.. i do not have a degree and i am not a vet. i got an 85 on cjbat. so im looking more or less the same as you. lets see if i get lucky and do really good on the oral board. how long does it take for them to usually interview you for the oral board? if your going to get an interview
                          Basically just like me, well once you apply they'll send you a letter and you schedule an interview with them, about a month to two after. Then you bring the PQH and turn it in, unless you submitted with you application already,

The interview process is not bad, takes about 20-30 mins, and then from there if you pass the interview they'll send you to the BI Officer where he'll break everything down to you and tells you your chances of getting a call back, after that you'll get a letter by mail stating your rank.

Right now, the only chances you have is having the best oral interview out of everybody, an 85 which is what I have now wont cut it in a lot of places, There is guys with 95-103 scores there, with degree and military experience.

Good luck

Comment

So ness. Lets say i submit my application monday. i recieve a letter within 2 weeks lets say. that means i atleast have made it to the oral board? i will do my best on the interview. Since you have done it before... what are things they ask? like things you can remember in specific that you think will impact results greatly? the PHQ. do you know exactly where i can get it? or it has to be admisterd by them? also.. so we are clear.. it will be the Phisical Health questinare?

Comment

So ness. Lets say i submit my application monday. i recieve a letter within 2 weeks lets say. that means i atleast have made it to the oral board? i will do my best on the interview. Since you have done it before... what are things they ask? like things you can remember in specific that you think will impact results greatly? the PHQ. do you know exactly where i can get it? or it has to be admisterd by them? also.. so we are clear.. it will be the Phisical Health questinare?
                              You can get the Personal History Questionaire in the ft. lauderdale website, when you click on the job posting. Scroll all the way down. If not, when you get your letter asking you to schedule an interview, the link will be in the letter as well. That's how it was last year when I applied.

As far as the Oral, it's simple they will ask you why you want to be a police officer, have you stolen anything, they'll ask stuff about your application. Simple stuff and maybe some type of scenario where "if this and this happen, what would you do.." ??
                              What have you done to prepare yourself to be a police officer?. you can search online for Police Oral Board study guides. They are all pretty much the same.

I applied yesterday online, and didnt see that you can submit the PHQ online as well, so I guess is going to have to be the same for me as last year, turn in the PHQ when I go in for my Oral Interview if I get a call back this time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3069 users online. 156 members and 2913 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X