300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retiring to Broward

As my retirement approaches, I am doing what everyone else in NJ does- planning to move to Florida (< not exactly the 1st cop to do that..

My wife has settled on Broward Co. We are looking at houses and I'm seeing towns like Lauderdale Lakes, Tamarac, Margate etc. What I am asking is:

- are there any parts of Broward I should absolutely AVOID?

- what areas would you recommend to raise a 6 year old boy?

- what school (public or private) do you like?
    - what is a good drinking bar (oops, that one is for me..

Anything pertinent information would be appreciated...
    Thanx- and Go Gators (I guess)
    10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Davie. I'd move there or just not come at all... most of Broward sucks.

Comment

What sux about Broward? (and dont say too many people from NJ..

Comment

Hi Hardball, not sure what your budget is but in this housing market you can find a good deal. Check out Plantation as well as Weston and West Miramar. What has you sold on Broward County? I only ask because Palm Beach County is much nicer but a little more pricey.

Comment

My wife has friends in broward. We been there and it seemed pretty busy and urban and we like that...but that's about it.

We'll give Palm Bch a look on your say-so. Thank you

Comment

Coconut Creek, Margate, Coral Springs, Lighthouse Point, Sunrise, Plantation, and Weston are probably the nicest areas in Broward. Parts of Deerfield Beach, Lauderhill, Ft. Lauderdale, and Davie aren't too bad either. Miramar and Pompano Beach are not that great. I would stick to the ones mentioned in the beginning.

Comment

I live here in Broward, I hate it. A lot depends on the area and where you'll send your kid to school, which includes public/private as theres lots of options.

If moving to Palm Beach, don't move to Boca, DO NOT. Watch out for Delray and Boymton as they're having gang problems, and those gang bangers have kids too...

Comment

Miramar and Pembroke Pines are good too, just stay West of 75...Weston is also good, Hollywood isn't too bad, there are some pockets to avoid but for the most part it's ok...I'd choose Pembroke Pines (West) b/c you (I) won't be far away from Fort Lauderdale or Miami and other places...There are a lot of gated communities and suburbs in Pembroke Pines...There are parks and stuff for you, your family, and young son to do; you have Hollywood and Hallandale beach not to far away, the Everglades are right there...

Welcome to the 6th borough!...

Avoid East Miramar the most and Lauderhill...
                sigpic

Comment

I've heard the area surround Sistrunk Blvd is the place to be.....

On a more serious note, I have a place down in Margate in the Carolina Country Club and that entire area is pretty nice. Coral Springs and Margate are nice places to live in terms of quality and curb appeal. Weston is full of million dollar homes, and Pembroke Pines is pretty good to.

I left S. Florida a year ago and tbh, I am freakin so happy I did. After living in Broward County for 20 years of my life and moving up to the resort area here around Fort Walton Beach/Destin, FL, it really is night and day.
                  Last edited by LawlSTi; 04-01-2011, 11:17 PM.
                  ~Nobody wins....
                  when everyone's losing~

Comment

I hear the chubby (or is it cubby) hole bar is really nice in Fort Lauderdale too.

Comment

u guys are awesome....Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                        Davie. I'd move there or just not come at all... most of Broward sucks.
                        I hope you are kidding

anyways, coral springs is one of the safest cities in the nation or fl ( cant remember which one it was).
                        some areas of sunrise
                        weston
                        plantation
                        west miramar (west of i75)

cant say about schools sorry. but I would recommend private, i think fl ranks 48th in public schools

Comment

Hardball, if you are looking in Broward I would suggest depending on your budget, Parkland, Coral Springs, Weston, Plantation, western areas of Davie and Sunrise, and Pembroke Pines. The city of Fort Lauderdale is nice if you are interested in the areas closer to the beach. Otherwise I'd look in Palm Beach County as well. Focus on Boca Raton, that's always a safe bet....also Wellington is very nice and the western parts of Boynton Beach are not too bad. Farther north Jupiter is nice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SJR1709 View Post
                            Hardball, if you are looking in Broward I would suggest depending on your budget, Parkland, Coral Springs, Weston, Plantation, western areas of Davie and Sunrise, and Pembroke Pines. The city of Fort Lauderdale is nice if you are interested in the areas closer to the beach. Otherwise I'd look in Palm Beach County as well. Focus on Boca Raton, that's always a safe bet....also Wellington is very nice and the western parts of Boynton Beach are not too bad. Farther north Jupiter is nice as well.
                            I hope you mean East Boca... I've mentioned how I feel about West Boca, and their residents for that matter. You couldn't pay me to live there..

Comment

Originally posted by HardBall View Post
                              are there any parts of Broward I should absolutely AVOID?
                              Lauderdale Lakes, Lauderhill, and Pompano Beach.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6079 users online. 341 members and 5738 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X