300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD officer looking to go to florida

Hey guys i have a question. Im a cop in nyc and im planning on moving to FL. Im interested in orlando or sanford. does anyone know how i can transfer if its possible or can direct me to the people i would have to contact. thanks in advance

if you are not obligated to those areas I would look southeast florida. Thats where the money is and more of your fellow NYPD guys and us Jersey cop guys all over here. PM me if you need any help Ill give you all the info I can

Comment

There is no such thing as a transfer from out of state. You gotta get certified first, then apply, then go through the entire application process, hiring process and eventually onto field training.

I came from a NY State agency upstate and other than the EOT, I started over from the bottom of the barrel.

I would also look at the gulf coast agencies. Better salaries than the Atlantic coast, generally.

Comment

Hey Guys, I'm looking to make the move from NY to as well...

I understand that I have to get a waiver and pass the state exam in order to avoid the "entire" academy (or something like that - I have over 10 years of police experience).

Can anyone explain the process in detail - do i have to get into the hiring process with an agency or can I do this on my own...?

I'll take any help/tips I can get...

Comment

You can do it on your own. Google or search for here "Chipola" college. Get a hold of your training records and mail them down to them. They'll evaluate you and send you a form back blessing off on your training. You use that form and sign up for the EOT course, which can range from 1 week to 6. You finish the course, which is super easy and take the state exam. You pass it and bam, you're certified. THEN, apply to agencies.

Do a little research here in this section and you'll find TONS of info on the EOT training.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
            You can do it on your own. Google or search for here "Chipola" college. Get a hold of your training records and mail them down to them. They'll evaluate you and send you a form back blessing off on your training. You use that form and sign up for the EOT course, which can range from 1 week to 6. You finish the course, which is super easy and take the state exam. You pass it and bam, you're certified. THEN, apply to agencies.

Do a little research here in this section and you'll find TONS of info on the EOT training.
            Thanks - i'm on it.

Any opinion on agencies I should look into? I have been looking at Miami-Dade PD as it's the largest in the region (doesn't appear that they're hiring right now). Ft. Lauderdale just posted openings - don't really know anything about that agency...

Kind of partial to the larger jobs being that I would like some options in the future (being a bit presumptuous here and assuming that I'll be hired - lol),

Thanks!

Comment

Do you want to work for a county or city? Wear green or blue?

Comment

Do you want to work for a county or city? Wear green or blue?
                Frankly i'm not locked in either way. I've done both up here in NY and each has a slightly "different" type of policing and attitude that goes along with them.

All things being equal - I just want to go somewhere that has a fair amount of movement into details and such. The county I worked for you had to pretty much wait for someone to retire before a slot opened up in anywhere other than patrol.... Just want to choose wisely.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Pm me and I'll fill you in.

Comment

Any suggestions?
                    Several. Look at some of the gulf coast agencies. Lots of info on some of those here in this section over the years. None of them are "small" agencies and you'll have plenty of opportunity to move up and around.

Look at the following counties:

Lee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Manatee, Hillsborough, and Pinellas counties. All pay rather well and have good opportunities to move around.

I just dont understand the infatuation with south Florida. There's a ton of good places to work if you know where to look.

Comment

Several. Look at some of the gulf coast agencies. Lots of info on some of those here in this section over the years. None of them are "small" agencies and you'll have plenty of opportunity to move up and around.

Look at the following counties:

Lee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Manatee, Hillsborough, and Pinellas counties. All pay rather well and have good opportunities to move around.

I just dont understand the infatuation with south Florida. There's a ton of good places to work if you know where to look.
                      Thanks for the info and advise! Frankly I think I'd rather stay a little further north and/or west myself....if I make the move.

Comment

Sarasota PD has hired like 3 people in the last 1.5 years, or something around that.

Comment

Welcome to Florida
                          There are 18 certified LEO academies across the state where you will have to attend a "crossover course". I think it's roughly 3 months and I believe you will have to take the state Law Enforcement exam. With prior experience and the review that the academies provide, it will not be that difficult.

I worked in a suburb of Orlando for 10 years before recently starting over a little further west. I love the area, I'm rural but still about 40 minutes from downtown Orlando and less than 2 hours from either coast. Some agencies will pay for your experience. My current agency started me with +5% above their starting salary. I've heard Lee County SO and Tallahassee PD will give you $1000 per year of experience, but with the current economy, thay may have changed. Vero Beach PD gave around $3000 for every 5 years of experience.

Take a look at the brand spanking new Port Canaveral Police Department. They are specifically looking for experienced officers with both Homeland Security certificates and public relations background. Canaveral is the 2nd or 3rd busiest port in the country so they are geared for tourism. I think they start around $40K with experience.

In my humble experience since moving here from Queens in 1994, it seems like the further south you go on I-95, the more urban and expensive things get. The pay is higher, but so is your cost of living. I miss Ski Windham and the Catskills, but now I have a boat and there is water all over the place here! The boating & motorcycle season down here is year round!

Be safe,
                          Tac Six One

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~Romans 13

Comment

I have a question for you new york guys. If youre already leo, then why all of a sudden it seems everybody tryin to move fl? Im here cant even get a leo job, has been looking into nypd but based on what im seeing I may have to reconsider. Is there something going on within the nypd that I need to know about? I just dont get it.

Comment

NYPD= last resort. just ride it out down there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3810 users online. 211 members and 3599 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X