Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal information required on a HOA application.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question sorry I am confused. I am new to all of this. I currently live in an apartment and am looking at purchasing a townhome. Is a Home-owners Association the same as a townhome association because I see HOA's mostly associated with Condo's but not townhomes. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas.

I live with my g/f and she would be moving with me. I am getting the loan on my own, putting everything in my name only. Would she have to apply with the townhome association as well since she would be living with me?

What information would they be asking of me? Thanks for any an all responses.

Comment

They only want to get your SSN so they can try to make you personally responsible for the dues.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
        Don't give them your SSN or DL number. The HOA does not have a legitimate reason to collect your SSN, as they aren't a bank, creditor, public utility, etc. If they really press the issue then you might end up having to contact a lawyer to send them a letter, but in the end if they want your SSN they will have to prove that they're entitled to have it. The laws governing HOAs are written giving much of the benefit to the homeowner just like much of the landlord/tenant law benefits the tenant. If the HOA tries to do something that they're not allowed to do and get taken to court they're going to have to pay up big time.
        Spot on advice.

There are federal and state laws that mandate disclosure of your SSAN (or indicate consequences of not providing it; such as delays and such, but in most cases, service cannot be denied solely for failure to disclose) when the activity is tied to government funded programs; however your disclosure to private entities is completely voluntary. Granted, failure to disclose it does present hurdles to obtaining credit and in some cases services because SSANs are used industry-wide as unique identifiers. While they can simply refuse to do business with you, there is usually a remedy found in the generation of a unique identification number (UIN).

Have a look at a relevant GAO report on the subject: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d051016t.pdf

Simply put, unless there is a statutory requirement that I provide my SSAN to a government entity, and one that also includes provisions for its protection, I will not provide it.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2346 users online. 124 members and 2222 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X