Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal information required on a HOA application.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal information required on a HOA application.

My wife and I are currently buying a home in North Miami-Dade with a homeowners association. The application requires me to give my social security number, driver's license number, and other personal information. My question is; can I refuse to give this information and get approved? Any one with experience in HOAs bylaws and owner's rights. Also I read Florida Statue 720 that governs HOAs and I found nothing. Please help.
    sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Timely thread. I was beginning to research the same thing. I would speak to the HOA President, explain your job, show ID (Don't let them photocopy it), and if your in a position to pay 6 months of HOA fees up front in exchange for no paperwork I would ask if that's possible.
    "Just when you think you know all the answers, we change the questions."
    -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Comment

Originally posted by Department 30 View Post
      Timely thread. I was beginning to research the same thing. I would speak to the HOA President, explain your job, show ID (Don't let them photocopy it), and if your in a position to pay 6 months of HOA fees up front in exchange for no paperwork I would ask if that's possible.
      I was thinking same thing about talking to the HOA President too. I'm going to send him a email tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.
      sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

you don't want to buy a house in a community that has a HOA. HOA can file a lean against your house if you don't pay the HOA monthly fee, and foreclose on it too, which is not included in the mortgage. Do some research about HOA nightmares.
        GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
          you don't want to buy a house in a community that has a HOA. HOA can file a lean against your house if you don't pay the HOA monthly fee, and foreclose on it too, which is not included in the mortgage. Do some research about HOA nightmares.
          I did. The reason we are buying this home, the seller is paying half of the closing costs. I know about HOA nightmares, also I planning to be active member in the association to keep them in check. Also I'm not to planning fall behind in payments.
          sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

I agree. Like I said, I would play up your job a bit. That should help, as it is a legitimate reason.
            "Just when you think you know all the answers, we change the questions."
            -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Comment

Originally posted by five0686 View Post
              I did. The reason we are buying this home, the seller is paying half of the closing costs. I know about HOA nightmares, also I planning to be active member in the association to keep them in check. Also I'm not to planning fall behind in payments.
              No one plans on falling behind, one guy had his house foreclosed on due to unforeseen medical bills from wife's illness. No one plans on things that eat your savings account, it's just a hazard that might crop up.
              GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Contact the Condominium Ombudsman who is located in Fort Lauderdale. They will provide you with answers to all your legal questions about what information the Association can require from an owner.

Comment

I was amazed to see the amount of HOA communities there are in South Florida

Comment

Originally posted by sibpd893tf View Post
                    Contact the Condominium Ombudsman who is located in Fort Lauderdale. They will provide you with answers to all your legal questions about what information the Association can require from an owner.
                    Thanks
                    sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

Originally posted by conesweeper View Post
                      I was amazed to see the amount of HOA communities there are in South Florida
                      Basically every home built after the late 80's in south Florida have HOAs.
                      sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

Are you buying the home from the HOA? If not, the bank or mortgage company gets your info. There is no reasonable reason for the HOA to have it. Even if they are acting on their own without a management company directing them. Owning a home in a HOA/deed restricted development requires you to be a member so I don't see why you have to "apply" to be one.

Further, I have not heard of a HOA asking for that type of info. I was the HOA president for 3 years and the only thing we had the owners do (not required though) was to give us an email address so we could pass information on to them without spending money for postage. Our management company had a list of the owners names and anything related to the homes we could get from the County deeds or city clerks office.

What I think is going on here is they are covering all means of having enough info on you so that if for some reason they need to file a court action or lawsuit against you in the future, they won't have to pay an investigation company to get what's needed.

One poster stated they can foreclose or put a lien on the home. That's true but in these economic conditions HOA's are strongly advised not to do it because they become the owner and if the house can't sell, they have to do the maintenance and the balance of the mortgage becomes a liability to them. As far as the liens, judges are now looking at the severeness of why a lien was applied for. In most cases they will not allow HOA's to take a home from the owner for HOA violations or even non payment of dues.

Personally, I wouldn't give them anything but your name, and soon to be new address, and maybe if they are lucky, your former address. If you have a take home car they are going to know you are the Po-Po. Get ready for the "can you do this for us', or can you get those people to stop doing..." you know how it is, you become the go to person.

Good luck and I hope you and your wife enjoy the new digs.

Comment

Originally posted by coponpatrol View Post
                          Are you buying the home from the HOA? If not, the bank or mortgage company gets your info. There is no reasonable reason for the HOA to have it. Even if they are acting on their own without a management company directing them. Owning a home in a HOA/deed restricted development requires you to be a member so I don't see why you have to "apply" to be one.

Further, I have not heard of a HOA asking for that type of info. I was the HOA president for 3 years and the only thing we had the owners do (not required though) was to give us an email address so we could pass information on to them without spending money for postage. Our management company had a list of the owners names and anything related to the homes we could get from the County deeds or city clerks office.

What I think is going on here is they are covering all means of having enough info on you so that if for some reason they need to file a court action or lawsuit against you in the future, they won't have to pay an investigation company to get what's needed.

One poster stated they can foreclose or put a lien on the home. That's true but in these economic conditions HOA's are strongly advised not to do it because they become the owner and if the house can't sell, they have to do the maintenance and the balance of the mortgage becomes a liability to them. As far as the liens, judges are now looking at the severeness of why a lien was applied for. In most cases they will not allow HOA's to take a home from the owner for HOA violations or even non payment of dues.

Personally, I wouldn't give them anything but your name, and soon to be new address, and maybe if they are lucky, your former address. If you have a take home car they are going to know you are the Po-Po. Get ready for the "can you do this for us', or can you get those people to stop doing..." you know how it is, you become the go to person.

Good luck and I hope you and your wife enjoy the new digs.
                          Thank you, good info. Now I'm feeling better buying this home.
                          sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

Don't give them your SSN or DL number. The HOA does not have a legitimate reason to collect your SSN, as they aren't a bank, creditor, public utility, etc. If they really press the issue then you might end up having to contact a lawyer to send them a letter, but in the end if they want your SSN they will have to prove that they're entitled to have it. The laws governing HOAs are written giving much of the benefit to the homeowner just like much of the landlord/tenant law benefits the tenant. If the HOA tries to do something that they're not allowed to do and get taken to court they're going to have to pay up big time.

As to HOAs putting liens on property, it happens for non-payment of dues but they are not allowed to put a lien on your property for not paying fines or other HOA fees. They only can lien your property for dues payments. Considering that 99% of the foreclosures out there are behind in all their payments, there are liens from the HOA, the county tax collector, and the mortgage company. For this reason a lot of HOAs aren't even filing liens right now, as filing the lien costs money and there's no guarantee when the property sells that they'll get the money since the property isn't going to be worth the sum of all the liens.

If you read the HOA documents and can live with the deed restrictions, a neighborhood with a HOA is actually a good place to be. Property values are generally higher in neighborhoods with HOAs, which will help your resale value. You also don't have to worry about your neighbor painting his house purple and leaving his rusted out old pickup truck on blocks in his front lawn.

Comment

I sit on the Board of the HOA at my Townhomes.... They dont need the personal information... but if you have it is easier to process a lien if needed!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5876 users online. 337 members and 5539 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X