300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about expiring Florida Certification

Questions about my certification. I looked on FDLE but could not find out about working as a LEO out of state, only if I was to transfer to Florida or the years in service gap.

Anyway, I went through the full time Police Academy in Broward and passed the state exam and worked full time for an agency in Florida. I've been working full time at an agency outside of Florida for a few years now. Does simply working as a Police Officer keep my Florida certification valid from expiring while out of state or does my employment have to be in the State of Florida? Thanks.

I believe it's 4 years from the start of the academy before it expires. Once 4 years passes I believe you have another two years but have to redo the high liability courses (i.e. firearms, driving, first aid, and defense tactics).

I believe if you were hired by a Law Enforcement agency in Florida and you quit and went to another agency your time begins after you quit the Florida Law Enforcement Agency. So if your in that time frame I think your okay. Don't quote me though maybe someone else will respond back.
    Last edited by ufgator2009; 03-21-2011, 08:30 PM.
    NYPD

Exam: 2311 Passed:9X.XX%
    Medical: TBD
    Psych Exam: TBD
    Oral Psych: TBD
    Meet BI: TBD
    JST: TBD
    Mini-Medical: TBD

Comment

According to CJSTC rules you must be a full-time or part-time police officer in the state of Florida to maintain your Florida certification.

According to Florida administrative code 11 be – 27.00212 – maintenance of officer certification. It states that full-time, part-time, or auxiliary officers shall successfully complete 40 hours of continuing education or training every four years. The expiration date of an officer's mandatory retraining shall be June 30 of the fourth year following the officers certification.

If you have been out less than four years you're good to go, if your certification is inactive for failure to meet mandatory retraining requirements that all you have to do is complete the 40 hours of mandatory retraining and can be reactivated.

If the break in service is between four years and eight years you have to demonstrate all the high liability proficiency is again, firearms, driving, defensive tactics, first aid and pass them. You also have to retake the state officer certification exam and pass it, and also meet the minimum requirements for hiring as a police officer state of Florida. The following is the exact wording from the Florida administrative code:

(a) If the break-in-service is between four years and eight years the officer shall:
      1. Successfully demonstrate proficiency in the High-Liability Basic Recruit Training Courses pursuant to Rule 11B-35.0024, F.A.C.
      2. Achieve a passing score on the applicable State Officer Certification Examination pursuant to procedures in Rule Chapter 11B-30, F.A.C., State Officer Certification Examination.
      3. Meet the minimum qualifications described in Rules 11B-27.002, 11B-27.0021, 11B-27.0022, and 11B-27.00225, F.A.C., as evidenced by an employing agency’s compliance with Section 943.133(2), F.S.

if the break and services more than eight years you have to go back through basic training and pass the state exam just like you did the first time. I hope that answers all your questions, don't let it lapse too far.
      Police Academy Commander
      Lead Firearms Instructor
      35+ years as a cop
      Becoming a Police Officer
      So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

I have a quick question about the mandatory 40 hour retraining. Where and how can I do this? My LEO cert. runs out June 30th. of this year......I'm already past my 4 year break in service. I'm not currently employed by a L.E agency, but I'm trying to get hired as a Reserve Deputy.....However they need my mandatory minimums done.

I'm also currently employed by the State of Florida as a CPO..........All my inservice training for this is upto date.........And I also have the FDLE 80 hour Firearms, 80 hour First Aid and DT all done last year. Apparently this won't satisfy the mandatory minimums? Even though I have done both academys seperate, the high liabilitys are exactly the same.

So my question is.....where can I do the 40 hour mandatory minimums before my LEO cert. runs out?

Thanks for your time and help!

Comment

Many academies offer the 40 hours course. But the only way you can get it to count is to get a agency to carry you as a reserve and enter the information into ATMS. Its a catch 22. Check here for a list of academies:

https://sites.google.com/site/flaleohelp/academy-sites

Good Luck..

Originally posted by Patrick C. View Post
          I have a quick question about the mandatory 40 hour retraining. Where and how can I do this? My LEO cert. runs out June 30th. of this year......I'm already past my 4 year break in service. I'm not currently employed by a L.E agency, but I'm trying to get hired as a Reserve Deputy.....However they need my mandatory minimums done.

I'm also currently employed by the State of Florida as a CPO..........All my inservice training for this is upto date.........And I also have the FDLE 80 hour Firearms, 80 hour First Aid and DT all done last year. Apparently this won't satisfy the mandatory minimums? Even though I have done both academys seperate, the high liabilitys are exactly the same.

So my question is.....where can I do the 40 hour mandatory minimums before my LEO cert. runs out?

Thanks for your time and help!
          Police Academy Commander
          Lead Firearms Instructor
          35+ years as a cop

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

There was an option several years back where if you were certified in the state of Florida and worked for an agency here that you could pay x amount of dollars to have it re-instated if it lapsed as long as it wasn't too long. I don't know if that is still in effect, but it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by agcop View Post
              There was an option several years back where if you were certified in the state of Florida and worked for an agency here that you could pay x amount of dollars to have it re-instated if it lapsed as long as it wasn't too long. I don't know if that is still in effect, but it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask.
              Its no longer in effect.
              Police Academy Commander
              Lead Firearms Instructor
              35+ years as a cop

Comment

Then what is the current scenario ? If you know can you please share that here ? So it will help me to solve my problem.
                Last edited by bpanuva; 08-01-2011, 02:30 AM.

Comment

What do you mean by current scenario? If you were once certified in Florida but have been working out of state and your certification lapsed, you have to go through the EOT course like anyone else from out of state. If your certification lapsed and you haven't been working in LE at all, you have to repeat the entire academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3432 users online. 185 members and 3247 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X