300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

I graduated with my B.A./B.S. last year. As of yet I have been unable to secure a sponsorship. Im not sure which direction to go. I know people who have had trouble getting LEO jobs even after they get certified in academy. I have a clean background, never used drugs, I dont drink, I have never been in any trouble, I speak a few languages. Only downside is that I don't have a military background due to being medically disqualified from the military. The market sucks and I know that getting certified won't guarantee a job. Im taking the gre to go to grad school but I would much rather start working. I guess a few grad courses coudln't hurt. Well there's my situation. Any advice is appreciated.

Also need to mention that Im located in orlando, so if there's any officers that are willing to give me ride alongs, or if there is any volunteer work available, Id be happy to help out.

Ive been trying for Law enforcement for a long time now. Its pretty hard to get into even with military and a degree. my suggestion is to just keep applying and someones gonna find your worth. It seems like departments want to hire but keep laying off more officers, so new guys are having problems getting in. grad school wouldnt hurt either. Just a question though, would you be a able to get a LE job if you cant be cleared medically in the military? the qualifications medically are pretty similar. just curious. Good luck

Comment

I had to sponsor myself through the academy and get state certified here BEFORE I got hired. Agencies around here are looking for people who are already certified so they don't have to pay for the academy. Not sure if it's the same there or not.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcSMASH View Post
        Ive been trying for Law enforcement for a long time now. Its pretty hard to get into even with military and a degree. my suggestion is to just keep applying and someones gonna find your worth. It seems like departments want to hire but keep laying off more officers, so new guys are having problems getting in. grad school wouldnt hurt either. Just a question though, would you be a able to get a LE job if you cant be cleared medically in the military? the qualifications medically are pretty similar. just curious. Good luck
        yea, i have scoliosis but it's not enough to prevent me from doing squats, deadlifts, or any thing physical.

Comment

Get certified then try the job search again. Having a degree and being certified will make you a much better applicant then having just the degree. It is next to impossible to get sponsored anywhere because departments just dont want to take the risk of putting the money out there. If you turn out to be a less than steller officer, or you dont like it and leave then they will have lost out on money. Bottom line get certified it will be better in the longrun for you.

Comment

You have to look at the situation. Sure, you may be a solid candidate but, you're not the only one. Aside from the fact that having scoliosis is going to be an issue (back problems are huge in LE), you also have to look at where you stand.

So far... you have a degree and a clean background. That's a good base but it doesn't do anything to put you above the 20k other people with degrees trying to become police officers. Do you have any relevant experience? How about life experience? Are you 21, with a degree, and still living with mom and dad? What sort of life experience do you bring to the table? What about work history? There's more than just military... although it's definitely helpful. Look at it like this... you versus me.

I'm 27, have over 8 years in the military, served in Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan. I have a college degree. I am the class leader of my academy that I'm self sponsoring through, have a clean background, good credit, and all that j***... I'm struggling to find a job.

There are retired marines and airmen (20+ years) in my academy class who have masters degrees and are getting "thanks but no thanks" letters. It's a tough market out there... you have to do everything you can to put yourself over the top. Even then, it usually boils down to who you know. That has been nauseatingly obvious. You could be the most stellar, high speed, gung go candidate out there... but if Joe Blow is friends with the commander and his dad is a 21 year veteran and he coaches the LT's daughter's soccer team... he's going to get the job above you... pure and simple. Is it right... no. Does it happen, you better friggin believe it.

Get into shape, self sponsor, continue your education, apply and apply some more. Hopefully the economy turns around and you get lucky. Good luck.
            I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
            - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
              There are retired marines and airmen (20+ years) in my academy class who have masters degrees and are getting "thanks but no thanks" letters. It's a tough market out there... you have to do everything you can to put yourself over the top. Even then, it usually boils down to who you know. That has been nauseatingly obvious. You could be the most stellar, high speed, gung go candidate out there... but if Joe Blow is friends with the commander and his dad is a 21 year veteran and he coaches the LT's daughter's soccer team... he's going to get the job above you... pure and simple. Is it right... no. Does it happen, you better friggin believe it.

Get into shape, self sponsor, continue your education, apply and apply some more. Hopefully the economy turns around and you get lucky. Good luck.
              Great Post ArmyDiver, I was having this argument in another post about how huge nepotism is in Florida in this economy and people were dismissing me. I couldnt have said it better myself. Im a month away from graduation and having the same issues finding a job. When things turn around and the opening are there guys like me and you will be picked up in a heartbeat, but the way things are now, you better be well connected.

Comment

You have got to put yourself through the academy and get certified. Instead of taking the GRE and going to grad school, do that. Florida just isn't a place where many departments sponsor and put recruits through the academy. In fact, the majority of the best agencies do not sponsor recruits because that's just extra money that they don't need to spend. There are more certifiable recruits out there than there are jobs, so why would an agency take the time and expense to pre-hire someone and have them go through a six month academy before they hit the street when they can hire someone with no cost to them and then have them start ASAP? From an agency's perspective it makes sense not to sponsor people if they don't have to.

It's true that you may still have a hard time getting hired after you put yourself through the academy, however your chances will be much better than they are now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4333 users online. 270 members and 4063 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X