Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vacation up and comming... Fishing suggestions.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation up and comming... Fishing suggestions.

Hey all,

LEO from MN here heading down to vacation in april, will be staying in the Gulfport area. anyone do any shore shark fishing? is it even worth a shot in April? Any info would be great I have no clue on where to start.

I do shore shark fishing all the time. I usually catch a bunch of bait fish (Sailor's Choice, Grunt etc.) which you cant buy at bait shops and use that, which will probably be the hard part for you. All you really need to do is make sure you have heavy enough gear and go cast out. Make sure you use a long enough leader also. Night time is usually better but you can catch sharks at any time during the day, and I hope you have patience because surf fishing can be boring. Also, I've had people become upset with me because I released the shark and didn't kill it, but just ignore them!

Comment

Thanks Proofyeg

Is there anything I should be looking for in particular when choosing a spot? Leader length from what I have read should be 3-5 feet? How deep/far out is an ideal location while fishing from shore? I have caught grunt off of a pier down there before, they were only 5-6 inches long..... is that the size grunts that you use.

Comment

Hey Fabio, there's a decent site called boatlessfishing.com that has some good info on pier and shoreline fishing. You may find some good advice there. Best of luck.
        Swim & Basic Motor skills: Passed
        CJBAT: 87 first time, 94 second time around
        TABE: 12.9 across the board

Comment

That size is fine, you can pretty much use any fish for shark bait I haven't found them to be to picky. I would pick a non-popular beach spot, and I would steer clear of pier's because there over fished. Try and find a spot were you can see bait fish running. I usually wade out to waist - chest and cast out. You actually don't need it that far out, you'd be surprised I've seen sharks chase bait pretty much to the shore line. I would bring another rod and use shrimp to catch other fish while waiting, its easy to get skunked while shark fishing. If you plan on keeping anything make sure to check the FWC website and make sure its in season. If your lucky maybe you'll run into something like this : http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/local_n...off-palm-beach

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm waiting for the admin to allow me access to the website, as far as waiting out the fish I have a lot of experience with that…. Shouldn’t be a prob. What kind/size weight do you use? from all the videos I have watched it seems as if you need to kayak out and drop the weight/bait.

Comment

A good technique is to watch the tides. Use an outgoing tide, tie an inflated balloon to your line about three feet up from the hook and bait then just let it float out with the tide. One, it will keep your bait up off the bottom and two, you can see the balloon move one way or another during a strike.

Comment

everglades city

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6610 users online. 350 members and 6260 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X