Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pursuit Miami-Dade and Broward

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pursuit Miami-Dade and Broward

    Good job guys!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGbJQ5yGvbc
    "Inside me is something that is too stupid to quit. I don't know where it comes from or why it is, but it is there and always has been."

  • #2
    At Risk of Being Critical

    Did anyone notice that the first pit attempt (1:29) would not have spun the car out, but merely caused it to crash into another occupied car?

    Similarly, the second pit took place when other occupied vehicles were present to be endangered, resulting in a collision with one of them.

    I'm wondering if the agency in question will find that use of the pit in this instance was within policy?

    Also, did anyone catch officers pulling the driver of the vehicle that was hit out of his car and dumping him on the ground? (2:34)
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

    Comment


    • #3
      Who cares? California is way too liberal. I would much rather have officers pit this guy, than have him blow through an intersection and t-bone someone. It was time to end it.

      INTERNET HIGH FIVE and KUDOS to the COPS!

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't know how truthful this is but, someone posted on another website, that allegedly, that driver happened to be smoking pot, hence the take down.

        Comment


        • #5
          While I understand the guy needed to be stopped and was obviously a danger to himself as well as others, I'm gonna side with L-1 on this one and question the pit locations. Granted, I have incredibly limited view of the event and even less information. I don't mean to quarterback them, just curious how in a chase that had been going on that long, they came up with this area as the one to stop him.

          As far as the removal from the vehicle, that's on the guy for not getting out. If you need to be drug out by your heal, you're obviously not complying and the boo boo on your dome piece is perfectly warranted. I also thoroughly enjoyed watching the driver run into the fence and incapacitate himself. Whoever was taping this obviously is pro-LE. The seemed to be pretty stoked with everything that happened. Glad they got the turd an no officers got hurt.
          I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
          - Mark Twain

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by LAWENFORCER View Post
            Who cares? California is way too liberal. I would much rather have officers pit this guy, than have him blow through an intersection and t-bone someone. It was time to end it.

            INTERNET HIGH FIVE and KUDOS to the COPS!
            I agree he needed to be stopped and I have no problem with performing a pit to do it. I'm just suggesting that in both pit attempts the officer could have waited a couple of extra seconds until no secondary occupied vehicles might have been struck and their occupants possibly injured.

            BTW, has anyone figured out why the driver of the vehicle that was struck by the suspect got tossed to the ground by the officers? (2:34 in the video)
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

            Comment


            • #7
              The pit is not allowed in Miami-Dade county by the local sheriffs department and several municipalities. the unit that did successfully do the pit was a Broward sheriffs office unit who had chased the car down from the original location. the only way a pit can be allowed is if the units supervisor gives to ok to do it. to me i was glad to see BSO step up and take the initiative, i think if the car would have made it to the next intersection (six lanes to cross with the way the suspects car was going) i believe it would have hit an innocent car and possibly killed someone. i totally support my brothers and i rather a chase end quickly with minor damage to people and cars, rather than take forever and kill people.
              sigpic


              R.I.P. Sgt. Michael Diaz
              D.O.D. May 30th, 2002
              Miami-Dade Police Dept.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mbpdhopeful View Post
                i think if the car would have made it to the next intersection (six lanes to cross with the way the suspects car was going) i believe it would have hit an innocent car and possibly killed someone. i totally support my brothers and i rather a chase end quickly with minor damage to people and cars, rather than take forever and kill people.
                Like I said before, I agree he needed to be stopped and I have no problem with performing a pit to do it, i just question the timing. I guess my confusion may come from different departments having different procedures and goals.

                Out here, the purpose of the pit is to spin the car out, making it run backwards while in drive, causing the engine to stall so that the car doesn't run any more, bringing the pursuit to a halt. Had the patrol car connected in the first pit, there would have been no place for the suspect vehicle to spin out and stall. All it would have done was cause the suspect vehicle to side swipe an occupied vehicle it was passing at the time. I'm not sure how that would have helped bring the chase to an end. Perhaps you clarify this for me?

                Similarly, out here we do not allow the pit to take place if there is a risk of other occupied vehicles or people being struck by the suspect's vehicle or a patrol car as a result of the maneuver. Our reasoning is that its hard to justify our claim that we did it to keep the suspect from hitting someone when we deliberately commit an act that can be reasonable anticipated to cause the suspect's car to his someone. So, how do you guys justify causing the suspect to hit someone in the name of keeping him from hitting someone?

                I'm just curious, what is the purpose of the pit in your jurisdiction? Is it to spin the vehicle out and disable the engine in the process? Is it to cause the suspect vehicle to wreck and be disabled in the process? Is a use of deadly force? Is it merely a show of force (playing bumper cars)?

                What does your policy say about when the PIT is to be executed? Are you supposed to wait until the area is free of people or occupied vehicles that might be put at risk or does it allow you to do it if there is a risk that the suspect vehicle or a patrol vehicle might hit another person or occupied vehicle?

                And of course I will ask again, has anyone figured out why the driver of the vehicle that was struck by the suspect got tossed to the ground by the officers? (2:34 in the video)
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                Comment


                • #9
                  well i do not know the protocol for BSO but here in Miami-dade we do not do the PIT maneuver what so ever, i believe the supervisor gave them the ok to do it before it got into a congested area which the suspect was quickly approaching (my personal opinion). and the other individual was arrested because the puff of smoke you saw come from that car was in fact from marijuana. talk about bad luck. from my understanding the PIT down here is meant to disable the vehicle long enough to be surrounded by patrol cars. i believe it is meant to stall it out. no it is not a use of deadly force, and i have heard from alot of people "why didnt they use spike stripes?" because 1, not many departments carry them down here, 2, the suspect was turning and cutting through so many neighborhoods by the time they could have been set up the suspect would have been long gone down some other street.
                  sigpic


                  R.I.P. Sgt. Michael Diaz
                  D.O.D. May 30th, 2002
                  Miami-Dade Police Dept.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mbpdhopeful View Post
                    well i do not know the protocol for BSO but here in Miami-dade we do not do the PIT maneuver what so ever, i believe the supervisor gave them the ok to do it before it got into a congested area which the suspect was quickly approaching (my personal opinion). and the other individual was arrested because the puff of smoke you saw come from that car was in fact from marijuana. talk about bad luck. from my understanding the PIT down here is meant to disable the vehicle long enough to be surrounded by patrol cars. i believe it is meant to stall it out. no it is not a use of deadly force, and i have heard from alot of people "why didnt they use spike stripes?" because 1, not many departments carry them down here, 2, the suspect was turning and cutting through so many neighborhoods by the time they could have been set up the suspect would have been long gone down some other street.
                    What agency do you work for?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Someone needs to educate that pilot (sir stutters) on the PIT not the TIP
                      Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

                      "I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by dontcallmeradio View Post
                        Someone needs to educate that pilot (sir stutters) on the PIT not the TIP
                        LOL! For sure! The whole time I was; What the hell is a "tip".
                        I knew they meant "PIT", but in the excitement, he forgot. Oh, and BTW, it wasn't the pilot narrating the chase, but the cameraman. Read the bio on wsvn.com for the Skyforce chopper. The camera man is the one pointing the camera and narrating on air. As a matter of fact, he also serves as an extra pair of eyes for the pilot to point out traffic. At one point in the broadcast, he tells the pilot about another chopper close to their airspace. Might have been another news chopper or the BSO chopper seen flying below them in one of the camera shots.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm aware its the camera man, I was just excited to point out hes an idiot for calling it a TIP. I'de really like to see a pilot who can fly / and work the camera / and narrate like that all at the same time.
                          Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

                          "I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                            And of course I will ask again, has anyone figured out why the driver of the vehicle that was struck by the suspect got tossed to the ground by the officers? (2:34 in the video)
                            Just spitballing here, but probably because there was a bailout w/ an unknown number of suspects, and the last officers on scene probably didn't see the DOT. I am guessing there was some concern that one of the BGs jumped in that car. Who cares. Secure them temporarily and figure it all out. No harm, no foul.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              At 2:11 did the officer drop his weapon? Did anyone else see that?
                              Happiness is a mind set.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 9291 users online. 185 members and 9106 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X