Corrections Employment in FL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrections Employment in FL

Anyone care to give me a sitrep of corrections in South Florida? Particularly Tampa/St. Pete/Hillsborough Area, Palm Beach/Ft. Ldale, and Collier/Lee County?

I'm in the hiring process for LE positions in Hillsborough CSO, Orange CSO, and FHP, but as backlogged as these agencies are getting and the hiring freezes going on, I'm considering starting my career in corrections if its any better.

I have an app with the BOP for the FCI's down there, but I've been looking at state and local level as well. I get my BS in CJ from an accredited school in 3 weeks, and finding employment is becoming more and more important. I want an LE job, but more than anything I want to get some experience in the CJ field. I'm young, the road job will eventually come.

Main info I'm interested in is 1)places to consider/places to avoid, 2)how fast on average is the hiring process, 3)Can you easily transition to a road LE position at the local level in most Florida counties?, 4)state vs. local and lastly 5) a general state of affairs for the corrections field down there.

I've done quite a bit of research on my own, but I'd really like to hear first hand from some guys down there. I'm open for discussing this via PM, email, or phone if theres info you would not like on an open forum such as this or for PERSEC reasons. Thanks in advance.

Also the Central Florida Reception Center. Just got a hiring announcement from them on PeopleFirst. Any info?

Comment

Polk County Sheriff's Office is hiring detention deputies. They will send you to the academy to get dual certified and you can transfer over to the road in two years.

Comment

Sarasota county is also hiring corrections...i think you have to be certified first though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringe View Post
          Polk County Sheriff's Office is hiring detention deputies. They will send you to the academy to get dual certified and you can transfer over to the road in two years.
          Not familiar with Polk County at all but I'll have to look into this. A little further from the coast then I would like, but thats a sacrifice I may have to make for a job right now.

Comment

Well, if you wanna get into corrections and move up quick..I would suggest going to a state facility. You can promote after a year, get your certification and if you decide to go to a county job in Corrections or LE your time would carry over becasue they are both under FRS.

Comment

I went on and put in for a CO trainee job at Charlotte Correctional Institution in Punta Gorda. Out of every state facility hiring for trainees, its location suited me best.

Comment

Manatee County is short around 100 corrections deputies.

Comment

Does anyone know how long the process usually takes for the Department of Corrections?

Comment

If you go to the corrections forum..me and a couple of other state officers did a thread on Florida corrections. It should sill be up un fl doc I believe.
                    Last edited by Lawman23; 04-22-2010, 06:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

There are many South Florida agencies hiring right now for LE, and many agencies hiring Correction Deputies. You are about to get a 4 year degree and you will be in good shape.

If you're heart-set on corrections, Polk and Manatee including many other agencies are sponsoring detention deputies and you have a better chance of moving to the road after doing time there. The pay is also much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringe View Post
                        There are many South Florida agencies hiring right now for LE, and many agencies hiring Correction Deputies. You are about to get a 4 year degree and you will be in good shape.

If you're heart-set on corrections, Polk and Manatee including many other agencies are sponsoring detention deputies and you have a better chance of moving to the road after doing time there. The pay is also much better.
                        I was interested in working in Manatee County, but from there site I get that they are only accepting apps from certified CO's at this time, anyone care to confirm or deny?

I have been talking to HCSO about switching my application from LE deputy to corrections, still torn on if to do this because I would hate to miss out on the opportunity to go straight to the road.

Comment

Originally posted by InfidelINC View Post
                          I was interested in working in Manatee County, but from there site I get that they are only accepting apps from certified CO's at this time, anyone care to confirm or deny?

I have been talking to HCSO about switching my application from LE deputy to corrections, still torn on if to do this because I would hate to miss out on the opportunity to go straight to the road.
                          Have you tried Polk yet?

Comment

I'm still up in the air about Polk. Honestly, I've never spent anytime in the area like I have in Ft. Myers, Bradenton, Tampa, and St. Pete. I know I'll enjoy living in Manatee or Hillsborough. I'm going to look at it a little closer before I apply there.

Comment

FDOC here....
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9908 users online. 372 members and 9536 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X