300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys have a question ?

a couple of months ago i found out i had type 2 diabetes my blood suger is under control now but can this stop my chance in getting into the police academy any advice would be appreciated

I don't think so...I know somebody that is a Police Officer that has type 1 and I believe he had it before starting the Academy and getting hired on at a agency.

Good Luck

Comment

thank you for responding

Comment

It will vary from department to department. Here are the concerns associated with this condition: http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Endo.pdf
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

thanks for the info guys

Comment

Originally posted by cevallos View Post
            a couple of months ago i found out i had type 2 diabetes my blood suger is under control now but can this stop my chance in getting into the police academy any advice would be appreciated
            I have type 2 diabetes and I am currently in the academy. It was not something they asked about on the application, but I strongly recommend talking with your Dr about it and keeping regular appointments so your blood sugar can be monitored. You can PM me if you have any specific questions cause another factor will be what do you take to control it? Do you take pills? Do you take insulin or a combination? or do you control it effectively with diet and exercise. Bottom line though if you are dillligent with monitoring then you will be just fine.

As for me I have lost close to 20lbs and I can feel the difference. the PT will do you good as far as it's affects on the diabetes
            AJScott

jus·tice   [juhs-tis]
            –noun
            1.the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.
            2.rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.
            3.the moral principle determining just conduct.
            4.conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.

Comment

i am taking pills my blood suger is under control. Had a test taken the other day came out really good and yes me to i lost like 30 pound in 1 month time. All levels are in very good

And thank you for responding

Comment

diet and exercise...i mean its mostly going to lie on your management

Comment

It's not going to keep you from getting into the academy, however it may keep you from getting hired. With my department, if you have Diabetes then you aren't going to pass our physical exam to be accepted into the pension. Our pension physical is a lot more stringent than the department's medical exam. If you aren't accepted into the pension, you can't get hired. We do have officers with Diabetes, but they all developed it after they were hired. Medical standards do vary from department to department though.

Comment

It should not affect you from getting hired. It's called the American Disabilities Act.
                    LIVING TO LAUGH

NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT TODAY, NOTHING NEW, IT'S JUST WHAT WE DO

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                      It should not affect you from getting hired. It's called the American Disabilities Act.
                      Actually, that's not quite correct.

The ADA does not provide blanket immunity and job protection to disabled employees. Were that the case, we would have no disability retirees in law enforcement (and I would not be sitting home right now, spending way too much time on o.com while collecting a comfortable pension check).

Instead, the ADA prohibits discrimination by requiring employers to provide reasonable accommodation to employees with disabilities. The key here is the term "reasonable."

If you take a look at http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Endo.pdf you will find strong support as to why the problems associated with hiring a diabetic in law enforcement creates an unreasonable risk to both the applicant and the public and exceeds the limits of reasonable accommodation. Now, some agencies may hire diabetics anyway. However, most will not because of the legitimate risks cited in the previously mentioned link.

Are there a lot of diabetic cops out there? You bet. But most of them develop diabetes after they are on the job. Because, under ADA, an employer cannot mandate a physical without just cause, their departments do not know of their conditions and are unable medically terminate them unless they have a diabetic incident serious enough to interfere with the performance of their duties. I was a diabetic the last five years on the job and my department never knew. I rode a desk that entire time and had no problems. However, my blood sugar drops unexpectedly in heat and with exertion. Were I actively working in the field, I would have seriously rethought things.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7775 users online. 391 members and 7384 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X