• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***St. Petersburg PD***

What the info on this agency?

Are they hiring?
    what type of side arm do they carry?
    What new in the future for this agency? ei. policy, weapons

SPPD is probably the worst agency in the state to work for. They have the highest attrition rate in the state and their morale has been in the toilet for a long time. There is no administrative support and the officers on the street are grossly overworked due to a lack of proper staffing.

On the plus side, you'll get decent training and experience there before you move on to another department. They're also one of the few agencies around that will put you through the academy. That's mainly because it's the only way they can get people to come work for them.

Comment

Wow it's that bad I'm waiting for my app in the mail that they were sending me, guess I should think twice. Do you get a take home after fto or a year? Thanks for any input.

Comment

Wow! that hurts lol. because i got rejected by HCSO last year on the Psych part. But i was told that i can apply again this year.
        They only reason why i wa interested in SPPD was because they can get my feet wet and then move. By my heart is in HCSO that department by i just need pass the psych part this time around looks strong.

Comment

At SPPD, you are eligible to be put on a list for a take home car after you're off of probation. You only get one if you live in Pinellas county, and first dibs goes to officers who live in the city. If you don't live in the city then you get one when one is available based upon your seniority on the list. SPPD isn't a department that budgets take home cars for everyone like lots of agencies

We have lots of people at my agency who used to work at SPPD, and not one of them says anything positive about the place other than it's good experience for when you decide to leave. There are also officers there who would like to leave, however other departments won't touch them because the disciplinary history they've amassed at SPPD due to how their administration loves to go after officers.

It's easy for me to say to avoid them since I already have a job at a good agency, but I can see how they are desirable to someone who has had trouble getting hired elsewhere. Just be aware of what you're getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post

We have lots of people at my agency who used to work at SPPD, and not one of them says anything positive about the place other than it's good experience for when you decide to leave. There are also officers there who would like to leave, however other departments won't touch them because the disciplinary history they've amassed at SPPD due to how their administration loves to go after officers.
            Last summer I looked into this agency and I heard only negative things about it as well. And what you said it was scared me off about their IA files being filed with complaints so they make sure their officers cant transfer easily..

Comment

i feel better about getting turned down by them now

Comment

did anyone else apply here?? despite the negative stuff i think im gonna give it a shot on my application "list"

Comment

I did a ride-a-long with SPPD last year. I was assigned to an officer who was still under a year with the department, but was definitely a top notch individual. From talking to various officers while on my ride-a-long, I definitely got the vibe that there was a lot of “back-stabbing” and “hurtful gossiping”. I was told that there was a divide between the administration and the officers, and that the mayor didn’t back the police department. As of last year, the department had a no pursuit rule if someone wouldn’t pull over for you. I actually got to experience that when we tried to make a stop, and they sped away. The officers I did meet where top notch, and seemed to all be under 5 years of service. Although I’ve read a lot of negative things about this department, I personally think it’s what you make of it. In these dire economic times, I would put my application in as many places as I possibly could. Although I didn’t continue with the SPPD process for other reasons, I would have no problem working for them. Worst case scenario, you have excellent experience to take to Clearwater PD. Best of luck to you in your decision!

Comment

I wouldn't consider the no pursuit rule as not backing their cops. Almost every dept here in the northeast has this rule including mine. Sides, even though pursuits are fun, why get in one anyways and risk losing everything for a guy with a warrant or some other nonsense. Just not worth it imho. Remember going home at the end of the day is the number one priority.

Comment

Originally posted by WISCH View Post
                      I was told that there was a divide between the administration and the officers, and that the mayor didn’t back the police department.
                      I bet that if an applicant knew someone high up in the administration -- then that applicant wouldn't have any problems working for St. Pete.

Comment

Everything Delta_V said is right on.

I went to the St. Pete academy as a self-sponsor. St. Pete is known for it's top notch training... good pay... and good equipment. They also pay you through the academy if you get sponsored. But everything else sucks. It's common knowledge that you just go to St. Pete P.D. for 2 years and then transfer out.

Comment

I've heard alot of St. Pete guys go over to Tampa PD as well since Tampa basically only accepts laterals.

Comment

Don't do it. Apply at Pinellas or Hillsborough. Oh, stay away from Pasco as well.

Comment

yeah i mite just go ahead and continue with the hillsborough app. but just looking for somewhere else just in case

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6138 users online. 319 members and 5819 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X