300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Sponser Question

I am seriously considering self-sponsership in Broward or Dade if I am not hired on with someone in the next year. What I need to know is if there is some type of loan program that you can use to pay for the academy? Such as a student loan for college or anything of that nature. Thanks in advance

i am currently in the process with MDC. i know miami-dade college offers financial aid, you have to go in and fill out some forms and they should be able to tell you if you qualify or not. as far as i know BCC is NOT taking self sponsoring at this time. there are rumors that may change. good luck
    sigpic

R.I.P. Sgt. Michael Diaz
    D.O.D. May 30th, 2002
    Miami-Dade Police Dept.

Comment

Yes you can get Student loans for the academy. Talk to the financial aid office at the school your wanting to attend.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys!!

Comment

Correct, BCC does not offer it but MDC does. But when you contact MDC be ready to deal with the most unhelpful/ unknowledgeable group of people you will ever speak to. It's almost as if they don't want people to sign up. (At least that was my experience). But good luck.

P.S. It's not "sponser" or "sponsership", it's sponsor, with an "O"...just saying, so you don't embarrass yourself out there
          Last edited by PS100; 11-06-2009, 12:07 AM.
          FHP:

1) APPLICATION: 03/2010
          2) PAT: 06/2010 PASSED
          3) POLYGRAPH: 11/2010 PASSED
          4) PSYCHOLOGICAL: 1/2011 PASSED
          5) MEDICAL AND VISION: 2/2011 PASSED
          6) BACKGROUND: PENDING
          7) COLONEL'S DECISION: PENDING
          8) ACADEMY: PENDING

Comment

Originally posted by PS100 View Post
            But when you contact MDC be ready to deal with the most unhelpful/ unknowledgeable group of people you will ever speak to.
            Like anything to do with Miami Dade County it seems like... O well, this is only a last resort, hopefully FHP or Miccosukee will pick me up before then.

Comment

Originally posted by jigsaw457 View Post
              Like anything to do with Miami Dade County it seems like... O well, this is only a last resort, hopefully FHP or Miccosukee will pick me up before then.
              Yes, the county excells at moving slow, but I meant Miami Dade College...when you call to ask for information or with specific questions about the program that you would think would be easy for them to answer (how much, how long, how to get in, etc.) all they seem to know how to say is: "you need to come to the orientation," and treat you like you're trying to get into the NSA or something.
              Last edited by PS100; 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM.
              FHP:

Comment

lol, its just a thing down here.

"Hi this is Miami Dade college, may I have your student ID"
                "Uhhhh, I just have a simple question"
                "OK"
                "How much is it to self sponsor?"
                "Without a student id I cannot check your process, drive all the miles necessary to come to a orientation so that we can tell you want I could have told you over the phone "
                Young people will change the old wicked ways of the past.sigpic

Comment

Yep...it's deja vu...lol
                  Last edited by PS100; 11-06-2009, 12:13 PM.
                  FHP:

Comment

If you can self sponsor do it. Don't wait for them to pick you. If you really want it then go for it. It will all work out in the end. I am a self sponsor and not working while doing this. it is not easy but I am looking at where I want to be in a year. I want to be employed starting my career.

I know not everyone can go without a check but that was just me. Good luck and when you get started you will love it
                    AJScott

jus·tice   [juhs-tis]
                    –noun
                    1.the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.
                    2.rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.
                    3.the moral principle determining just conduct.
                    4.conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.

Comment

I am really considering it, i want this more than anything.

Comment

What about trying to join a reserve unit if the agency has it? Usually they put you thru the academy at no cost to you.

Comment

In my personal opinion I think self sponsoring is a waste of money. Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion. Why not just apply to a few departments and go through the process to get hired. If they don't like you they are not going to like you any better because you are already certified( at least this has been my experience in the Broward/Palm Beach area). It makes life a lot easier to get a pay check in the academy.
                          IN.

Comment

maverick09, I have to disagree with you. I self sponsored myself several years back and it was the best decision I ever made. The economy was obviously in better shape then, however, the recuiters i spoke to stated departments looked at it as win/win. The expense of paying for someone to complete the academy (when they might not graduate) is a financial risk. If they can pick up someone who's already certified it's a burden off their shoulders. Don't get me wrong simply having the cert does not guarantee a job but it can't hurt. I can say from experience my friends without college or military had a much harder time than myself getting picked up, however, most got jobs. The point being in this economy more departments look at saving money. I can tell you from speaking with my departments recruiting department if two candidates are reasonably close their going with the one already holding the paper.

Comment

I think it's worth it, provided one has the funds to do it, obviously, as many agencies are hiring only certified...
                              FHP:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4813 users online. 291 members and 4522 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X