Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any prior mlitary who attended EOT academy lateraled out of state?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any prior mlitary who attended EOT academy lateraled out of state?

I'm a prior cop in the military who attended the EOT academy to receive my LEO cert in Florida. Have been a road deputy for the past 3 years and am looking to get out of Florida. I'm finding a lot of resistence from other states to accept my Florida certification and take me as a lateral even with 3 years experience simply because I didn't attend a full academy. I'm curious if others have encountered the same problem or found states willing to accept it.

I have attended a full corrections academy and later this week am going to talk with the director of our local academy and see what my options are. As much as I don't want to, the only option I can see is to attend a part time cross-over to acquire the needed academy hours. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    sigpic

Where are you looking to go?

Comment

Probably Pacific Northwest or New England. My current issues are with Alaska, my first choice, not wanting to accept it.
      sigpic

Comment

Your going to find that most places want to see a minimum of a 400 hour academy that covers certain areas.
        I had 20 years military and still went to the academy so until you go your movement is going to be limited.
        Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Since you may want to come up to New England...

I can tell you that Mass. is very strict. I know someone who was a sgt. in New Hampshire and still had to go through the full time mass. academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Airforcop View Post
            Probably Pacific Northwest or New England. My current issues are with Alaska, my first choice, not wanting to accept it.
            I always wondered how that would work, reference your situation. As an experiment, go to your academy and go through their "instructor techniques" course (it's two weeks long) and it qualifies you as certified Florida LEO instructor, authorized to teach Florida LEO recruits. Then see if that would make a difference in your ability to crossover into another states LEO certification process. Also, get a copy of the MP academy curriculum and submit the AIT portion to show that the basics of LE were covered. It's just a thought and there are no guarantees.

Comment

I'm working on acquiring all my military stuff to submit to the Director of Alaska's equivelant of FDLE to see about taking my cert. It is kind of ironic that with a simple class I could instruct new recruits and current LEO's in the state of Florida but not be accepted in other states without attending a full academy.

But guess such is life and they have to draw the line somewhere. Had I known this was going to be an issue I probably would have stayed with my prior agency and just gone through the cross-over. Would be making a hell of a lot more money than I am now and probably still be married. Boy, I screwed that one up, hahahaha. Well, atleast the money part, lol.
              sigpic

Comment

Alaska from SE Floirda? What a change and good luck to you. I think "me again" has about the best advice posted. I know when I was on active duty in the navy I detested the cold weather, that's why I ended up down South. By the way Airforcop, nice Navy Commendation Medal with gold star on your ribbon bar. What did you receive those for?
                "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I lived in Alaska for 4 years, don't know why I came to Florida when I got out of the military, been miserable since. BTW, that is the Air Force Markmanships ribbon if you're talking about the second one from the right on bottom row.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
                    Alaska from SE Floirda? What a change and good luck to you. I think "me again" has about the best advice posted. I know when I was on active duty in the navy I detested the cold weather, that's why I ended up down South. By the way Airforcop, nice Navy Commendation Medal with gold star on your ribbon bar. What did you receive those for?
                    lol, FAIL.
                    Even I know what that is and I got mine in 1985.
                    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post
                      lol, FAIL.
                      Even I know what that is and I got mine in 1985.
                      lol, I'm not in the service but I still got a laugh out of those posts

Comment

Could have fooled me, AIRFORCOP. I didn't know the AF used large gold stars (next to the end on the green and white ribbon). From the graphics it looks more like a navy award when compared to the AF marksmanship.
                        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I know a lot of places out side of FL want you to go through their academy. Even Hillsborough wont accept military thats already been certified in Florida, or even if you had less than 3 years IN Florida exp. So it doesn't surprise me that much. Some depts. will take you, some wont. Its all up to their policy. Good luck, Id never leave Florida for Alaska. If I moved it would be a place with more beaches and sun

Comment

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
                            Could have fooled me, AIRFORCOP. I didn't know the AF used large gold stars (next to the end on the green and white ribbon). From the graphics it looks more like a navy award when compared to the AF marksmanship.
                            As far as I remember, the star isn't used on many AF ribbons, we usually use oak leaf clusters to denote multiple ribbons as noted on several of my other ribbons. However, you can only receive a max of 2 of those ribbons, 1 for 9mm and the other for M-16. Therefore they use a star on the ribbon to denote marksmanship with both weapons.
                            sigpic

Comment

I know a few CA cops who tried to lateral to Alaska after being CA cops for several years. All of these officers agree that unless your FROM Alaska, good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4226 users online. 239 members and 3987 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X