Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hillsborough Sheriff's office plans job fair Saturday to fill hundreds of openings

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillsborough Sheriff's office plans job fair Saturday to fill hundreds of openings

TAMPA - The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is looking to do its part to reduce the area's nearly 12 percent unemployment rate.

The department is hosting a job fair Saturday, (10/24/09) trying to fill hundreds of open positions. Among the slots: 180 patrol deputies; 94 detention deputies; and other administrative jobs throughout the department.

The job fair runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in an assembly room at Falkenburg Road Jail, 520 N. Falkenburg Road.

The sheriff's office hasn't had an internal job fair for more than three years, said Lt. Kyle Cockream, who oversees recruitment and screening. The agency has participated in external job fairs in recent years, but those generally don't yield many applicants.

"Right now [detention deputy] is the biggest need, where we have quite frankly the fewest applicants," Cockream said. "That is going to be the focus of this job fair, but we're going to talk to anybody who is interested in working for this organization."

Benefits include health insurance, sick leave and disability, 13 vacation or holiday days, paid overtime and court time, tuition assistance and entry into the state's retirement system.

The sheriff's office is funded to have about 3,500 employees, including 1,300 patrol deputies and 1,000 detention deputies.

For information, call (813) 247-0870 or go to www.hcso.tampa.fl.us.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Wow, with all of these budget issues and freezing with alot of agencies, 180 patrol drivers, thats alot, even I'm on the other side of the state, that sounds reasonable!!!

Comment

I'm taking a class with a couple of their deps, just a couple weeks ago they said they had 150 openings and were expecting more. Guess they came through.
      Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Comment

We had some leave Pinellas when our budget was slashed and the deputies were "let go." Sheriff of Hillsborough graciously picked them up. Just by changing departments they get a huge raise, an actual step plan, and overtime.

Low and behold after our budget is submitted, and we can afford to bring some more on so they left Hills. and came back w/full seniority (only a year or so's worth.) What I question is why they came back to a dept. where we arent allowed OT, had three paid holidays taken away, no step "pay" plan, and morale is in the tank.

Comment

You know, if Florida was like other states where you can actually do a lateral transfer from one county or one city to another, it would be so much easier. Instead, we have to apply like a friggen recruit and go through the entire hiring process and get treated like a day one joe out of the academy. This is why I'm not going anywhere and I'm completely content where I'am.

Comment

Last edited by 813Deputy2b; 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM.
            USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
            Oorah!

Comment

One would think, with the economy, that this would not be a problem

Comment

I think that they are searching for the "certified" people that are ready to rock.. and not recruits that will take months to train and hopefully pass a state exam...But that's my own .02
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

I'm working on getting hired by HCSO for the Reserve II program. If I only had the military, previous LEO, or the extra 20 hours of college I could go for the real thing. Some day.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
                    I think that they are searching for the "certified" people that are ready to rock.. and not recruits that will take months to train and hopefully pass a state exam...But that's my own .02
                    Where did you hear this? Sheriff Gee in the past has preferred to hire new recruits over certified. He requires all new hires without experience to go back through HCSO's academy, even if they have already passed the state exam. And I believe if you have less than 3 (maybe 5) years experience you are still required to go back through the academy, but don't quote me on that.

Not saying your wrong, in fact I hope your right. Maybe your right and they will change their policy on self-sponsored recruits, and I could be hired on with HCSO without going through the academy again.

Comment

Who in their right mind would want to go through yet another academy, especially after you've already passed the state exam? Screw that.

Comment

Yep, thats my POV Unit. Its a tough place b/c its a good agency that is still hiring in droves, there aren't that many agencies that that is true of anymore. But Sitting through the academy for a 2nd time is just not appealing. To make it a little worse. I went through the same academy with many of the same instructors as the HCSO class. I see them everyday in the halls.

Comment

I'm not saying pro/con either way on the sponsorship issue. The facts are that in today's world, agencies are lucky to be in business with all the dang budget cuts. It's hard enough for a agency to pay for a employee who is certified and ready to rock & roll, let alone trying to scrape up the $$ to pay for a sponsorship (and not have the person working for 5-6 months) and then hope they pass the state exam. Employing certified/self-sponsor people is just the cheaper way to go, it's that simple. I'm the first to admit that I don't like the way things are in today's world...

But.. $$ is $$.. and that's what administrations look at..
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

yeah without 3 years of exp...you are doing another academy in hillsborough

Comment

I just checked there website and there not taking certified applicants..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5687 users online. 314 members and 5373 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X