300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unions?

How are the unions in the state of Florida? I am a PO in New York and have been thinking about making the move down south if possible, however I keep hearing that there is little to no union representation in FL. How are things like job security right now. If something job related were to happen, are you on your own or will your department or union back you.

Job security is fine, everything is fine. Yes most have unions, ours is worthless, and we do just fine anyway.

Comment

We do not have a union. I also came from an agency up in NY but I was management there so I wasnt covered. Sheriff's departments are different down here with union coverage.

Comment

Since florida is a right to work state, most officers/deputies are in the union just for the legal representation in case they ever need a lawyer. Alot of the LEO's I've spoken with say they don't bother with the unions.

Comment

Most agencies down here are either covered under one of two unions, the PBA or FOP.

Comment

From what I understand the Unions are not as strong in Florida as they are in New York and other northern states.

Comment

Originally posted by BOSMIA View Post
              From what I understand the Unions are not as strong in Florida as they are in New York and other northern states.

Strong or not it's better than none. I'm not a fan of unions but for LE I think it's a must. I'm in a none union state and GA agencies will pay the minimum they can before they start losing officers.
              Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Originally posted by Pride & Glory View Post
                How are the unions in the state of Florida? I am a PO in New York and have been thinking about making the move down south if possible, however I keep hearing that there is little to no union representation in FL. How are things like job security right now. If something job related were to happen, are you on your own or will your department or union back you.
                Florida is a right-to-work state, which gives employees significantly less job-protection then what you currently experience in New York. New York is NOT a right-to-work state, which means that employees have more job protections.

Some Florida municipal police agencies have binding arbitration for their union negotiations, if it's spelled out in their contract.

However...

Florida sheriff's offices do not currently have binding arbitration when an impasse occurs between a sheriff and the union of his deputies. Attorney's from the Florida Sheriffs' Association (FSA) argued that when an impasse occurs, then the sheriff has the final say. The deputies unions appealed this argument to PERC and a hearing officer ruled that when an impasse occurs, it should go to the board of county commissioners to allow them to make the final decision(s) during an impasse between a sheriff and the deputies union.

The FSA then appealed this ruling, so it went back to PERC for a second time and a second hearing officer reaffirmed that:
                1. a Florida sheriff doesn't have the final say during an impasse and
                2. the county commissioners have the final say during an impasse.

The FSA is going to appeal this second ruling from PERC, so it will have to be litigated in the Florida courts for a final ruling.

Comment

If you messup the department will disown you and the union will only help if it will on help the win/lose ratio. Right to work state, keep your nose clean and you will be fine in Florida. The union would like to think they matter, but they do not make a diffrence. Only reason I joined is for legal protection if I am held civily liable or jacked by the agency.
                  I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

Maybe where you work the union does not help, but I can say the union in Orlando is very good and makes a big difference to our agency.

Comment

Well I am not exactly a union man.... They cry and deal over things that I could care less about.... Some of the perks they have tried to fight for are things I think a police office should do. My union can't get me a raise but god forbid I should have to run and annual obstacle course with a troublesome 5ft fence in it. (My union reps have not chased a perp on foot in about 10 years) I can't even grow a go-tee (blond hair), but my union feels I should be allowed to grow one and every other agency in the area allows take home cars outside of jurisdiction exempt mine. I do get a good laugh at the go-tee growing can't climb a fence cops I work with. At least when somebody thinks he can sue me they send a lawyer to defend me and that’s the only reason I joined the union. It all so ****es me off when the no fence climbing cop breaks his arm on his motorcycle off duty the union uses the pool I was forced to pay into to keep him from working light duty so he can sit on his a** and play Xbox.

I'm a little jaded because I'm not in the bubba club
                      Last edited by fleetguy; 10-27-2009, 10:39 PM.
                      I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5676 users online. 352 members and 5324 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X