300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seminole Community College

I am looking to attend the next academy at SCC and am looking for some insight on how the application process goes. Can anybody help me out? I have looked on the website and they tell me what I need to do but don't really give details on how the process works.

Thanks

P.M. me...i'll tell you all you need to know

Comment

Sent you a p.m

Comment

You take the CJBAT, you put in your application, you talk to someone for about 3 seconds, and you get in. Dealt drugs in the past 2 years? Been arrested for multiple misdemeanors? Have a suspended license as we speak? 3 bankruptsies in 5 years? Irrelevant, if you've got the money, honey, they've got the time (I'm not hitting on you, it's a song).

With all that said, I can't blame the academies that let those people who fit the above categories in, because money is money and these days that's all that matters. You will have those people who do have those above issues in your academy. They will receive the exact same training you will. And they will somehow think that, because they got into the academy, they will easily become a cop (I do somewhat blame the academies for putting that false hope).

Now administration has changed since I went through a few years ago, and the guy now in charge is awesome, so hopefully those things have changed. Considering the fact that the college is still in charge though, I doubt too much has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
          You take the CJBAT, you put in your application, you talk to someone for about 3 seconds, and you get in. Dealt drugs in the past 2 years? Been arrested for multiple misdemeanors? Have a suspended license as we speak? 3 bankruptsies in 5 years? Irrelevant, if you've got the money, honey, they've got the time (I'm not hitting on you, it's a song).

With all that said, I can't blame the academies that let those people who fit the above categories in, because money is money and these days that's all that matters. You will have those people who do have those above issues in your academy. They will receive the exact same training you will. And they will somehow think that, because they got into the academy, they will easily become a cop (I do somewhat blame the academies for putting that false hope).

Now administration has changed since I went through a few years ago, and the guy now in charge is awesome, so hopefully those things have changed. Considering the fact that the college is still in charge though, I doubt too much has changed.
          Not as easy at TECO. I start the Academy next Thursday at TECO and they have quite the list of things to do in order to get into their Academy.

Background(character check from previous employers and friend references), fingerprints, polygraph, credit check, physical, ekg, stress test etc. The polygraph is a big difference then the others it would seem.

I like the fact that they screen their applicants extensively as it weeds out the individuals who will never have a chance at being hired. Just my opinion. Not saying everyone that goes through the TECO program will be hired but based on the applicant difference it would have to be higher.

In any event, good luck!!

Comment

What studchris said is spot on. There was a guy in my academy that had done every drug there is and found out halfway through the academy he would never be hired.

Comment

Does anyone know if VCC is similar in accepting people that have basically no chance of getting hired?

I can understand that the colleges have an interest in getting people in the door so they can keep the tuition flowing, but it frustrates me when I think of the people like myself that go on wait lists to get into an academy when seats might be taken by people that may have no chance at all for actually getting hired.

I've run into a few people in the last couple months that completed the academy (one from VCC and one from SCC) and then decided (after they graduated) that law enforcement wasn't for them. What a waste of their time and waste of an academy seat that could've gone to someone that had thought through things a little more thoroughly before registering. I wish colleges did a little better job at pre-screening/interviewing folks.

Comment

Originally posted by marine_one View Post
                Does anyone know if VCC is similar in accepting people that have basically no chance of getting hired?

I can understand that the colleges have an interest in getting people in the door so they can keep the tuition flowing, but it frustrates me when I think of the people like myself that go on wait lists to get into an academy when seats might be taken by people that may have no chance at all for actually getting hired.

I've run into a few people in the last couple months that completed the academy (one from VCC and one from SCC) and then decided (after they graduated) that law enforcement wasn't for them. What a waste of their time and waste of an academy seat that could've gone to someone that had thought through things a little more thoroughly before registering. I wish colleges did a little better job at pre-screening/interviewing folks.
                The difference with Valencia is that a lot of their seats go to sponsored people, so there are less open seats and more of a waiting list to get in.

You really can't fault academies for letting people in who will never get hired. It's all a money game, and if SCC only let people in that were definitely going to get a job, they would only have one or two academies a year and just wouldn't be bringing in enough money to maintain.

As far as people going through then finding out it isn't for them, I don't have a problem with it. I do, however, think that two ridealongs (one on a night shift one on a day shift) should be a requirement before getting in. I'd rather people decide after the academy that they dont want to be cops than for them to wait til the dirty stuff hits the air oscillator.

Comment

I 100% agree with the ride along requirement. Heck, Altamonte Springs wont even let you ride along with them unless your processing with them or in the academy!

Comment

Yeah I agree, ride alongs should be required as part of the academy application process.

I also agree that I would much rather have someone either wash out of an academy or graduate and THEN realize that law enforcement is not for them instead of waiting until they are on the street. Good point.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. I assure all of you that I am worthy of a spot in the academy. I have done numerous ride alongs and this is the only thing I have wanted to do with my life since i was little. My background is clean, has to be because I work at the Sheriff's Office. Thanks again

Comment

I will be starting the Academy Feb 8th 2010, just wondering if anyone else is going to be in the same academy?

Comment

Ill be there with you

Comment

I have an application in at an agency for a sponsored position. If it works out well then I'll be seeing you at SCC on 2/8.

Comment

Mr. Pulo I'm going to make some stuff up so you don't get into the academy. Seriously... we can't afford to lose one of the good dispatchers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5175 users online. 274 members and 4901 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X