300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Il To Fl

Has anybody on here left a PD in IL for a PD in FL? If so is it anybetter down there then up here? Basically how is policing in FL better or worse then IL and would you do it again? I'm thinking about makin the move.

Not Illinois but I left northern NY state to do it all over again down here.

Its different and more challenging to me. I wouldn't say that its better, its just different.

Here's my thought process on it:

The concept of policing is the same everywhere you go. Its the way in which its done, and the rules that govern how you do it, is what differs.

It sucked to be called a "recruit" again but it'll all work out in the end. In a years time, I'm hoping I can look back and say "yep, this was a good move."

Think about it like this: Do you want to see the sun every day? Do you never want to shovel your driveway again? Scrape your windshield? Do you want to sit on the beach in January? Do you want 12 months of pure awesome weather, surrounded by palm trees?

Would I do it again? Thats a loaded question but if I would, I'd make damn sure that my bank account was a little more prepared to do this. I spent a fortune getting situated and didnt get a job right away, thanks to the economy.

I learned a lot of life lessons these past 18 months since I've been down here. Some were hard and I questioned my motives at the time but down the road, they made sense to me. Much of it was a struggle and apparently it was meant for me to learn many things.

If you decide to give it a try, let me know. I can assist you in this process to make it as painless as possible. Just hit me up in pm and I'll send you all the information you need to get started with the certification process.

Comment

Unit what part of the sate do you work in?

Comment

I've lived in Florida for the past 14 years, and with that said I would leave here to go pretty much anywhere in the US for an investigative job, but I wouldn't leave where I am now for another uniformed job. It's really all subjective. The good thing about police work, especially patrol work, is that it's basically the same job no matter where you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
          Not Illinois but I left northern NY state to do it all over again down here.

Its different and more challenging to me. I wouldn't say that its better, its just different.

Here's my thought process on it:

The concept of policing is the same everywhere you go. Its the way in which its done, and the rules that govern how you do it, is what differs.

It sucked to be called a "recruit" again but it'll all work out in the end. In a years time, I'm hoping I can look back and say "yep, this was a good move."

Think about it like this: Do you want to see the sun every day? Do you never want to shovel your driveway again? Scrape your windshield? Do you want to sit on the beach in January? Do you want 12 months of pure awesome weather, surrounded by palm trees?

Would I do it again? Thats a loaded question but if I would, I'd make damn sure that my bank account was a little more prepared to do this. I spent a fortune getting situated and didnt get a job right away, thanks to the economy.

I learned a lot of life lessons these past 18 months since I've been down here. Some were hard and I questioned my motives at the time but down the road, they made sense to me. Much of it was a struggle and apparently it was meant for me to learn many things.

If you decide to give it a try, let me know. I can assist you in this process to make it as painless as possible. Just hit me up in pm and I'll send you all the information you need to get started with the certification process.
          I will keep that in mind, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
            I've lived in Florida for the past 14 years, and with that said I would leave here to go pretty much anywhere in the US for an investigative job, but I wouldn't leave where I am now for another uniformed job. It's really all subjective. The good thing about police work, especially patrol work, is that it's basically the same job no matter where you go.
            I understand patrol work is the same everywhere, part of my issue with IL is the abundance of police depts. I have worked for two small towns and now one medium sized Sheriffs Office. Up here tho a medium sized sheriffs office is just around 100 Deputies average small town is 10-20 officers. From what I ve seen Sheriffs Office in FL are the Police with maybe a city here and there. Which is what appeals to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiFE66 View Post
              Unit what part of the sate do you work in?
              Gulf coast between Tampa and Sarasota.

Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
              I understand patrol work is the same everywhere, part of my issue with IL is the abundance of police depts. I have worked for two small towns and now one medium sized Sheriffs Office. Up here tho a medium sized sheriffs office is just around 100 Deputies average small town is 10-20 officers. From what I ve seen Sheriffs Office in FL are the Police with maybe a city here and there. Which is what appeals to me.

It appealed to me as well. We have 5 or 6 smaller agencies in our county. Our agency has around 750 sworn deputies so we stay busy. I can tell you though, its nice to be able to stretch your legs a bit running in between calls. Being locked down to a 10 block by 10 block zone sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                Gulf coast between Tampa and Sarasota.

It appealed to me as well. We have 5 or 6 smaller agencies in our county. Our agency has around 750 sworn deputies so we stay busy. I can tell you though, its nice to be able to stretch your legs a bit running in between calls. Being locked down to a 10 block by 10 block zone sucks.
                I hear ya, both villages I worked for where about 2 sq miles (10 officers,32 the other) The Sheriffs Office I work for is 525 sq I love the ability to roam and go anywhere in my area to work,If I ever leave it will def be for another SO. Which again is why FL is so appealing

Comment

You know, many sheriff's offices down here will pay you for your out of state experience. Its usually 1.2 - 2% of your annual salary. Generally, its $1200 a year for a maximum of 5 years.

I took a pay cut to do this but it was well worth it. The benefits alone are way worth it. We pay ZERO into health benefits. ZERO into retirement and ZERO into dental and vision coverage. Add that up and you do the math.

Sheriff's are king down here. Much like state police are up north.

Comment

Originally posted by mjw5678 View Post
                    That depends on where you are. My county is a pretty small one, however there are 7 police departments in it and I'd say probably a good 80-85% of the population are in cities. There are probably only about 3/5 as many deputies working every night in patrol in our county as there are officers from all the agencies. Again, with that said, the Sheriff Office still has the best resources of anyone in the county.

This is in Central Florida. There are counties in Northern Florida with only a handful of cops on patrol at any given time, and there are counties in the South that are the same size or smaller, but with hundreds working on patrol.

That kind of leads into one of the more important things about Florida. It really is like several different states depending on where you are. Parts are mostly rural with down home cops where you know every single person in your department. Parts are extremely urban, where it is usual to see people in your department (with rank, I don't mean some guy in FTO) that you've never met before.

As with anything else these days, don't come down here without a job lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                      That depends on where you are. My county is a pretty small one, however there are 7 police departments in it and I'd say probably a good 80-85% of the population are in cities. There are probably only about 3/5 as many deputies working every night in patrol in our county as there are officers from all the agencies. Again, with that said, the Sheriff Office still has the best resources of anyone in the county.

This is in Central Florida. There are counties in Northern Florida with only a handful of cops on patrol at any given time, and there are counties in the South that are the same size or smaller, but with hundreds working on patrol.

That kind of leads into one of the more important things about Florida. It really is like several different states depending on where you are. Parts are mostly rural with down home cops where you know every single person in your department. Parts are extremely urban, where it is usual to see people in your department (with rank, I don't mean some guy in FTO) that you've never met before.

As with anything else these days, don't come down here without a job lined up.
                      I tried to PM ya back but said your inbox was full. Any insight on the Counties that you have good things about would be great. As far as central FL I was looking at Polk,Pinellas, Lee or Hillsborough

Comment

Unless you plan on going through another full academy, you can rule out Hillsborough. Its a top notch agency but they prefer you go through their academy. ($43-45k)

Polk is very, very rural but I havent heard anything bad about them. $37k(?)

Pinellas looses a lot to surrounding agencies for some reason.

Lee will pay you for your years, maxing out at 10, believe it or not. Lee county is beautiful and you'd start out at around $50k. Its expensive to live down there though.

Sarasota is a good county to work for. ($40-45k)

Manatee county is top notch as well. ($40-45k)

Typically, you're gonna make more money on the gulf coast as far as "central" goes. There are exceptions to that rule though.

Comment

Thanks alot for the info

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1879 users online. 114 members and 1765 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X