300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking and driving

A friend of mine applied for a department (no not me), and made it to the polygraph. He was asked if he ever drank and drove before. He was never arrested or caught doing it, (yes i know its wrong to do and illegal) but he answered yes he has drank and drove before and got denied hiring... just wondering if this was possible the reason that this person did not get hired. Are all of the active police officers saints and never had a beer or two and drove? thanks

he should of lied and said no on the polygraph?

Comment

hehehehe.........
      Young people will change the old wicked ways of the past.sigpic

Comment

ill keep that in mine when i hit the poly lol

Comment

Kind of had a similar question myself. Whey they ask on an application, have you ever driven under the influence, do they mean past the legal limit (or at a level where you are impaired), or simply had a beer or two and driven. I have never driven when I felt I was impaired, nor do I believe I ever would have failed FSE's or had a BAC of even a .05. Any help from someone more in the know would be helpful.

Comment

I do recall one application (can't remember which off the top of my head) that said about that question, "this means driving when you would have been arrested if you were pulled over" or something to that effect, I'll see if I can figure out which one that was

Comment

Originally posted by futureLEO87 View Post
              Kind of had a similar question myself. Whey they ask on an application, have you ever driven under the influence, do they mean past the legal limit (or at a level where you are impaired), or simply had a beer or two and driven. I have never driven when I felt I was impaired, nor do I believe I ever would have failed FSE's or had a BAC of even a .05. Any help from someone more in the know would be helpful.
              The answer would be no. Even if you were sober enough to drive...

Comment

Having at one time or another driven while having too much to drink alone would not deny someone from getting a job. I'm sure it didn't help him any, but it's definitely not the only reason he didn't get hired.

Comment

yeah im sure there were other reasons... even if u admitted it and put that on ur app and then did poly and said the same answer i dont think they would turn you away for just that. it prob didnt help the points at all though

Comment

For those that are inquiring about this question on a polygraph. Please know that even though it's a yes or no anwer on the polygraph itself, they do go over each question in detail with you before taking the test, and you are allowed to explain your answers in greater detail. I have taken two polygraphs and passed each one.

I know this may not be the answer you're looking for but it's the best I have to offer.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by mindthegaap View Post
                      I do recall one application (can't remember which off the top of my head) that said about that question, "this means driving when you would have been arrested if you were pulled over" or something to that effect, I'll see if I can figure out which one that was
                      I have had one which asked the question in a similar fashion as well, but I have had others that were more vague.

Didn't realize that snow guy, that eases my mind a little bit.

Comment

That is kind of a subjective question. Have you ever had a couple beers with dinner and drove home? Shared a pitcher of beer with friends and had chicken wings? Had two mixed drinks like a jack and coke and some apps and drove home? If you did more then likely you would be beyond .08 BAC. Ninety percent of us have done this.

If the question was worded "in the past 6 months have you driven impaired where you felt it was unsafe or beyond the legal limit or exceeded having 5 or more beers/drinks in an hour" or something to that extent and drove then I would understand the basis for the question but its still subjective and up for interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by campuscop2000 View Post
                          That is kind of a subjective question. Have you ever had a couple beers with dinner and drove home? Shared a pitcher of beer with friends and had chicken wings? Had two mixed drinks like a jack and coke and some apps and drove home? If you did more then likely you would be beyond .08 BAC. Ninety percent of us have done this.

If the question was worded "in the past 6 months have you driven impaired where you felt it was unsafe or beyond the legal limit or exceeded having 5 or more beers/drinks in an hour" or something to that extent and drove then I would understand the basis for the question but its still subjective and up for interpretation.

I was going to say that the fact that you're a cop and you believe the dribble you say in your first paragraph (2 beers, or a shared pitcher 'among friends', or 2 mixed drinks with dinner) would make you above .08 is extremely sad, and makes me wonder what they're teaching ya'll up there, especially considering how many great DUI cops I've met from the Northeast.

Then I saw that you're not sworn, not employed by a LEA, and (hopefully) not trained in anything actually cop related.

You also obviously don't even know what a subjective question is. The question, "Have you ever drank and drove before" is not at all subjective. It's a simple yes or no question. It's not a good question, and yes I believe that "Have you ever consumed alcohol to the point that you felt you were impaired and then drove" would be a better question, but it's far from subjective. A subjective question would be, "Do you think drinking and driving is bad?".

Oh, and not sure what 90% of people you work with, and although alcoholism is an issue in law enforcement, and although the percentage of LEOs that drive while impaired is higher than it should be (aka 0%), it's far from 90.

Comment

As far as subjective I meant it’s up for interpretation. As the question is worded “have you ever drank and drove” most would answer “yes” in the literal sense. Have you ever gone to a cookout had a beer and drove several hours later? According to the question that would qualify as drinking and driving and you would have to answer yes. This is not an accurate indicator of behavior of a potential applicant and appears to be a catch 22 and would DQ most applicants. A more appropriately worded question with less shades of gray such as “have you ever driven when you knew you were impaired” or “have you ever driven when you were legally drunk or over a .08 BAC”. These would be more appropriate questions to ask with less shades of gray that wouldn’t trip up applicants into thinking that if they had a drink at a cookout that they were drunk drivers. No need to fly off the handle.

If the average 170 lb adult has 4 beers in an hour then you are above .08 BAC. If you eat light apps such as mozzarella sticks or something of that nature it won’t necessarily keep you from running a .08. Foods high in protein generally slow the absorption of alcohol however; it will not keep you from becoming intoxicated. If you’re fatigued this can also increase your level of impairment etc. Yes, I took some poetic license with my statistics before.

Referring to my 90 percent comment, I was referring to the fact that at some point in your life you have had a beer after work or during a cookout or at a sports game and drove home at some point later Your only 24 and I know you have at some point had a beer with friends and later driven.

I was not stating 90 percent of society gets [email protected] faced and drives. A good friend of mine lost his leg in a motor cycle accident when he was hit by a drunk driver. If you’re insinuating that I condone drinking and driving or that I drive or know people that drive impaired on a daily basis is insulting. Yes, people in Law Enforcement have high alcoholism rates as well as high suicide rates. However, that is not what I was referring to in my post and once again you took it the wrong way.

I am a full time police officer. I created this account before I was sworn in and never submitted paperwork to this forum to verify my LEO status. If you want, we can take this to PM.

Comment

Originally posted by campuscop2000 View Post
                              As far as subjective I meant it’s up for interpretation. As the question is worded “have you ever drank and drove” most would answer “yes” in the literal sense. Have you ever gone to a cookout had a beer and drove several hours later? According to the question that would qualify as drinking and driving and you would have to answer yes. This is not an accurate indicator of behavior of a potential applicant and appears to be a catch 22 and would DQ most applicants. A more appropriately worded question with less shades of gray such as “have you ever driven when you knew you were impaired” or “have you ever driven when you were legally drunk or over a .08 BAC”. These would be more appropriate questions to ask with less shades of gray that wouldn’t trip up applicants into thinking that if they had a drink at a cookout that they were drunk drivers. No need to fly off the handle.

If the average 170 lb adult has 4 beers in an hour then you are above .08 BAC. If you eat light apps such as mozzarella sticks or something of that nature it won’t necessarily keep you from running a .08. Foods high in protein generally slow the absorption of alcohol however; it will not keep you from becoming intoxicated. If you’re fatigued this can also increase your level of impairment etc. Yes, I took some poetic license with my statistics before.

Referring to my 90 percent comment, I was referring to the fact that at some point in your life you have had a beer after work or during a cookout or at a sports game and drove home at some point later Your only 24 and I know you have at some point had a beer with friends and later driven.

I was not stating 90 percent of society gets [email protected] faced and drives. A good friend of mine lost his leg in a motor cycle accident when he was hit by a drunk driver. If you’re insinuating that I condone drinking and driving or that I drive or know people that drive impaired on a daily basis is insulting. Yes, people in Law Enforcement have high alcoholism rates as well as high suicide rates. However, that is not what I was referring to in my post and once again you took it the wrong way.

I am a full time police officer. I created this account before I was sworn in and never submitted paperwork to this forum to verify my LEO status. If you want, we can take this to PM.

Alright well I was a total butt and you came back with a completely normal response. Now I feel kind of bad. Yeah you were a bit "poetic" with your results, I'm good with that.

More than likely, the real question was in fact have you ever driven while impaired, and at some point between the time it left the sheet of paper and came here it turned into "have you ever driven after drinking."

And yes, I've driven after drinking many times. Did twice last night. Once after a glass of wine at dinner (I'm sure I was about 1/12th of the legal limit), and half of my wife's Long Island at dinner (closer to about 1/20th the legal limit that time). I believe we had a similar questions. My response was never driven while impaired, but there was one time before I turned 21 that I was driving probably over a .02 and would have probably lost my license had I been stopped.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6436 users online. 349 members and 6087 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X