300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Mayor Bans Police Foot Pursuits

Has nothing to do with Florida, but enjoyed the article and video so much that I had to post it. Enjoy!

Click below link to watch video it's GREAT.

http://policelink.monster.com/news/a...ursuits?page=2

South Carolina Mayor Bans Police Foot Pursuits

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The mayor of a small South Carolina town says she banned her police officers from chasing suspects on foot after an officer was hurt running after a man.

Wellford Mayor Sallie Peake said Monday she issued the order in August after the city had to pay for an officer who missed work after chasing a “guy who had a piece of crack on him.” She said a drug possession charge was not worth the cost to taxpayers. But her written order said she did “not want anyone chasing any suspects whatsoever.”

The decision came after two town-issued cars were totaled within a month, although her order applies only to foot chases.

When a local TV reporter asked about the policy, Peake would not answer and clapped her hands in mock praise that the reporter had found a story.

Wow, I only watched a minute of that video, enough to know I will not be seeking employment with her city.

Comment

This was covered in 2 different threads when the news first broke.

It has since been RESCINDED !!!

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=130161
      Last edited by 2971511; 10-10-2009, 04:59 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

That mayor is a total idiot....WHo the hell appointed her or who the hell voted for that crazy woman!!! WATCH THE VIDEO

Comment

Ignorance is bliss...

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefull101 View Post
            That mayor is a total idiot....WHo the hell appointed her or who the hell voted for that crazy woman!!! WATCH THE VIDEO
            whoa man hold down...this is the internet...it is world wide

Comment

That policy does not make any sense but what can they expect if the mayor herself does make or have any common sense. I mean she does not know how to express herself either. Wooow crazy

Comment

The mayor rescinded that policy after a county prosecutor wrote a letter to the state attorneys office asking if the policy was legal.

Comment

First off, let me state I think that the policy was wrong, but look at it from her point of view. An officer sees two teens smoking pot in a park, they get into a foot chase, and an officer gets injured, he know tore his ACL and the Dept. or Town needs to pony up 20K for surgery. Other officers catch the kid/s, they have a dime bag amongst both of them. I know in MD, and DC, what are they going to get ????..... MD Marijuans = a $100. fine. In DC MAYBE community service, if the even prosecute it. So, know we have an officer off work, for god knows how long, for a minor crime that MIGHT yield a $100. fine.

The Mayor was/is just lookng out for the interests of the tax payers... A small town, with a few incidents like that and it could easily go bankrupt.

I think the memo was a mistake, and maybe, she, or the Chief should have said, look, guys, try to be careful when you get into pursuits, is it worth getting hurt for a nickel or dime bag of weed. But BANNING all foot pursuits, just plain silly.

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
                    This was covered in 2 different threads when the news first broke.

It has since been RESCINDED !!!

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=130161
                    This is dead guys
                    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

The really sad thing here, is that she is an elected official that makes important decisions. The video clearly shows what a wack-job she is...
                      Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

Originally posted by leesrt View Post
                        This is dead guys
                        I agree it is a dead subject. And I learned after I posted it that it was RESCINDED !!! However, it is purely entertaining I guess when we all complain about our admin atleast it's not this lady.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3346 users online. 199 members and 3147 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X