300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does U of M have their own PD?

Co-workers and I were discussing different police departments, and the topic of U of M police came up.

Can anyone here explain why U of M can have their own police department? Are they operating under the authority of Gables PD, some sort of charter or??? They are in fact sworn are they not, so that means they have statewide arrest powers, yet, they are working for a private institution?

Answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The are considered part time CGPD, but work full time for the U. They also get some good education perks for themselves and their family after a few years of working there.

Comment

Back in the day Rollins College had its own pd which was given authority from Winter Park pd. I think around 1980-81 they disbanded but every so often they talk about bring them back.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Well I asume you live in the area have seen them on patrol so think about this, they ride around in cars that say POLICE and arrest people. Yeah they are the police. Where do they get authority from? I would say the state of Florida.
        I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

Most if not all major Universities and big colleges have their own police departments

Comment

Most if not all major Universities and big colleges have their own police departments

Comment

This includes private colleges as well.

Comment

and school districts.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
                  Originally posted by alpha1906
                  This includes private colleges as well.
                  Florida does not have a private police statute in place with the exception of railroad police.

Comment

Florida International University also has it's own PD...Miami-Dade public schools have their own PD too, can't say the same for Broward...

UM's tuitition is through the roof, plus all the money they bring in from the football team, private donations (many former alumnies now play in the NFL, doctors making big money$$$), ect...UM is a good school if you want to study medicine...Yes, UM is a private school...
                    Last edited by Southflaguy; 10-03-2009, 11:42 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
                      Florida International University also has it's own PD...Miami-Dade public schools have their own PD too, can't say the same for Broward...
                      The point the poster is making is that FIU is one of the 11 State Schools per statute, and Miami-Dade public schools is also a public entity, where as U of M is a private institution.

Comment

Plus 1 to what StudChris said. All of the state run colleges have their own pd's as its allowable by state law. Private universities and colleges do not. Rollins College in Winter Park had at one time its own pd but it was dissoleved.

Railroads particularly (FEC and CSX) are the only private police forces allowed by statute. It is under FSS 354.01 and 354.02

Comment

From the UMPD website... "The University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) is a professional law enforcement agency, manned with State of Florida Certified Police Officers sworn and empowered through the City of Coral Gables. "

Comment

I don't see what the debate is about, I stated how they do it in the second post.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                              I don't see what the debate is about, I stated how they do it in the second post.
                              It is not the answer, but the spirit of the debate that is important!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5730 users online. 328 members and 5402 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X