Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My viewpoint on it, your right Jayhawk, racism is definitely still visible. But as cliche as it is, two wrongs don't make a right.

For what its worth law enforcement is one of the VERY few areas where affirmative action is acceptable. Human nature plain and simple is to trust people like ourselves. A white community might not trust a force that is all black, and vice versa.

Just the opinion of someone not yet in law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by futureLEO87 View Post
      What is "reverse racism", as I see it racism is racism, no matter what color its leaning towards its all the same.
      I agree. The term "reverse racism" is stupid. racism is racism.

And a lot of people dont realize that affirmative action applies to white people as well as minorities and women. People assume it doesnt but it does.

Comment

We all know that affirmative action has been taken to the extreme and is no longer useful. Being a minority myself, I even realize that is true. However all I ever wanted was a fair opportunity. I have never felt I was entitled to anything in life. I applied at over 20 agencies before landing a law enforcement job. This to me proved that no agency was making special exceptions to accommodate me based on race. I had many family members telling me that the reason I was having a hard time was because I was a minority, but I refused to hear it, and promised to just work harder, and maybe next time I would get the job. Eventually it paid off, and I am soon to be a federal correctional officer.

What I am saying is that regardless of your race or sex or whatever, don't give up. It's not easy for anyone out there. No one gets handed this job on a silver platter. You have to earn it.
        Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

Heh, we had a guy in the academy who said if he was ever hired based on the fact that he was Hispanic, he would say no thanks and continue looking for a place that wouldn't take that into consideration. I told him he was an idiot.

Comment

I think Affirmative Action was helpful at one point, just like how a lot of things start out, like Unions. Affirmative Action has achieved its goals, and I don't think there's a reason to keep it around much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by LINY View Post
              I think Affirmative Action was helpful at one point, just like how a lot of things start out, like Unions. Affirmative Action has achieved its goals, and I don't think there's a reason to keep it around much longer.
              So Unions aren't needed anymore because those who have them now have better benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                So Unions aren't needed anymore because those who have them now have better benefits?
                The original purpose of Unions was to stop child labor and slave wages. Since they completed their goals they've turned into a bit of a monster compared to what they should be doing.

Comment

The original purpose of Unions was to stop child labor and slave wages. Since they completed their goals they've turned into a bit of a monster compared to what they should be doing.
                  That was not the original purpose of unions.
                  Young people will change the old wicked ways of the past.sigpic

Comment

^Lots of conservatives on this website.

Back on topic though, there are still a lot of agencies, especially in rural areas, where if you are an ethnic minority, it doesn't matter how well you score on the tests, or how well qualified you are. You will not be hired. Also there are agencies that won't hire any more minorities once they get their 'token' hired.
                    Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkFan View Post
                      ^Lots of conservatives on this website.

Back on topic though, there are still a lot of agencies, especially in rural areas, where if you are an ethnic minority, it doesn't matter how well you score on the tests, or how well qualified you are. You will not be hired. Also there are agencies that won't hire any more minorities once they get their 'token' hired.
                      As long as you have cronism. you will need Affirmative Action. Yes in some small towns you probably do have folks that hire minorities if they dont have to. Just like in some major cities you have folks that want to keep minorities in chage and wont promte whites. It works both ways which is why you need affirmative action.

Comment

Whenever youare dealing with human beings you are dealing with subjectivness. No matter how much people tell you they are objective and will onky hire the best qualified person it isnt always so. In the end people hire who they feel comfortable with. Thats why affirmative action is still needed. We deal with subjectiveness in this society.

Comment

Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
                          As long as you have cronism. you will need Affirmative Action. Yes in some small towns you probably do have folks that hire minorities if they dont have to. Just like in some major cities you have folks that want to keep minorities in chage and wont promte whites. It works both ways which is why you need affirmative action.
                          I understand your point but the problem with you saying that is why we need affirmative action is that affirmative action does not do anything for non-minorities. So in the situations where they are the ones getting shafted, it means nothing. Even with two white candidates for the same job it can often turn into a political thing (who you know) when it comes to getting the job. So affirmative action does nothing to make sure the most qualified person gets the job. I don't know about where anyone else is, but here where I am our sheriff is a "minority", though I'm not sure minority really describes his race. He is a good sheriff and in my opinion, the issue of hiring other minorities is not an issue at all. I just think, originally good things have now turned into unfair advantages for some.
                          "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

Whenever youare dealing with human beings you are dealing with subjectivness. No matter how much people tell you they are objective and will onky hire the best qualified person it isnt always so. In the end people hire who they feel comfortable with. Thats why affirmative action is still needed. We deal with subjectiveness in this society.
                            +1...a phi....+1
                            big time post with a lot of history to support what you say...no one knows who calls who or says what to whom in private and fabricates a reason to put on paper....this employment process is way too subjective and the state really needs to step in and lay down "significant" hiring standards and requirements...if i had a job i would still feel the same way...i am in favor of affirm action all the way...look around your communities where we are the most, its not filtered out the way most dept's are...i mean seriously

Comment

Because Affirmative Action been followed to the letter 100 percent, right? I'm far from Conservative, but in the end they're not hiring people for who they are or what qualifications they have - they're hiring a Government quota.

Comment

Why not hire the most qualified person for the position? Who cares if they are a white male, black male, female, hispanic, etc...

Also, maybe Green Bay did not have any qualified minority applicants. Maybe they hired the better, more qualified applicant. Why does it have to be "racist" just because they did not have their share of minority hires. Maybe the had their share of highly qualified Officers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5346 users online. 337 members and 5009 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X