300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racism or the right thing??

A certain agency in central FL had a recruiter visit a local academy recently. This recruiter stated "If you are a white male, don't even bother applying." Considering the Leader of this agency is not white, it kind of had me wondering. Now, I by all means am not racist, and I believe that we are all american no matter what color of our skin, and we are all entitled to the same opportunities, as long as we work for them. I am however, a white male, and I've worked just as hard to get into law enforcement as anyone else, and to me this statement sounded a little politically incorrect, and prejudiced. We should all have the opportunity to apply, and may the better, more experienced guy/girl get the job....isn't that usually how it goes? let me know your thoughts.

The issue of "affirmative action" can both ways: supporters of it say that it is promotes diversity, while critics say it is "reverse" discrimination.

Comment

I believe it does promote diversity...but don't say you're ONLY going to hire those that are not white...

Comment

the person who said that also said it in the academy a year before the new boss was hired.. don't read to much into it, the best and most qualified will be hired.

take anything a recruiter says with a grain of salt.

respect and love, everyone is equal.

Comment

What is "reverse racism", as I see it racism is racism, no matter what color its leaning towards its all the same.

Comment

Yeah, I think the agency should reflect the people of the community as well, but I also believe in EOE.

Comment

Haha Future I was just thinking the same thing....

Comment

If you hire someone based on skin color rather then intellect or qualities, it's racist no matter if you're white, black, yellow, green, or purple in my eyes.

Comment

I think the BEST candidate should get the job no matter what color they are.
                  With affirmative action, that sometimes doesn't happen.
                  It goes for male/female situations also. I know many very qualified females who have earned their jobs and done very well but I also know of females who got the job and passed the academy just because their department was required to hire a female officer because they needed a certain ratio per shift. I know that as a first hand fact.
                  The point is, we need the BEST candidate no matter who it is.
                  "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

It is what it is brother. If you have an issue with it, don't apply to that agency. Or, say who cares what he says, apply and maybe you'll get the job. I'm a white male too, and I can tell you for fact that with my lack of experience and lack of education, if I were entering the hiring pool right now I would have a very difficult time, and the only reason I have a job now is because in late 2006, the economy was decent and not as many people wanted to be a cop.

At the same time, even as a white male, I still agree that if a white male and a minority have the exact same credentials (such as two 21 year olds with no experience, no education), the minority should get the job. And that's not even from a desk jockey, that just a white street cops who believes in affirmative action IF it's used correctly. Unfortunately though, many people are still taking affirmative action and EEO to mean no matter the credentials, the minority still gets the job.

Comment

Affirmative action was created for a reason. A reason that is still apparent in many areas. Highly qualified minorities are still often passed over for certain jobs. No one will come out and say that it is because of race. Instead they will claim that minorities didn't apply for the positions, or that they didn't score well enough in the hiring process. In the end you end up with a lingering feeling that something just isn't right.

Imagine a city of 100,000 people. 12% of the population of that city is black, but not a single police officer is black. Think I am talking about some 1960's southern town? No I am speaking of Green Bay, Wisconsin which only recently hired it's first black police officer ever.
                      Last edited by JayhawkFan; 09-23-2009, 11:15 PM.
                      Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
                        I love everyone equally.
                        I hate everybody equally hahaha.
                        sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Comment

Actually the racial makeup of Green Bay is VERY heavily white. 85% are white, only 1.3 percent are black, not twelve percent.

Comment

Yeah JayHawk... I agree with you but your information is a little bit off lol.

Comment

Originally posted by futureLEO87 View Post
                              Actually the racial makeup of Green Bay is VERY heavily white. 85% are white, only 1.3 percent are black, not twelve percent.
                              Originally posted by StudChris View Post
                              Yeah JayHawk... I agree with you but your information is a little bit off lol.
                              My fault, I was reading a newspaper article which obviously was inaccurate.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...ice-Department
                              Racial minorities make up about 17 percent of Green Bay's 98,476 people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The Green Bay Police Department has 177 sworn officers. That includes 15 female officers, four Native American or Alaskan American officers, and one Hispanic officer. It now has one black officer.
                              They have 6 minority police officers, which make up 3% of the police force, even though minorities make up 17 percent of the population of the town.
                              Last edited by JayhawkFan; 09-23-2009, 11:41 PM.
                              Those who believe, ye shall receive.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2682 users online. 151 members and 2531 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X