300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost Of Living

Can anyone tell me how the cost-of-living is in FL, in particiiular the Fort Lauderdale.

I also looking for any recommendations where to get more accurate information on housing other then contacting a realator, since I don't want to be bombarded by e-mails for calls.

Also, are there recommendations on areas to live, since I am applying to Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks!

Cost Of Living

Thanks, So Fla Cop.....

I definately plan on coming down, but I was just looking for a starting point as to where to look.

Do you know if Fort Lauderdale is as expensive to live in as some are saying?

Thanks, again!

Comment

Real Estate prices have really dropped - houses that were $500k, are now around $200- 300K. There are lots of foreclosures and a couple of guys I know have gotten really good deals (Like $150k for a 4 BR/2 bath with a pool and on a lake - in a decent area).

Insurance prices are still high - probably higher than wherever your coming from, so be ready for that.

Comment

Cost Of Living

ADPsgt....

Thanks for the information. I will take that into consideration!

Thanks, again be safe out there!

Comment

I wouldn't buy a house off the bat, 1st I'd rent to get a feel for the place...Hollywood, Hallandale, Pembroke Pines (west of 75) Weston are ok...I don't like Miramar at all, not even West Miramar...Plantation is ok too...There's a lot of good areas...

Here's a little map for you, hope it helps...

http://www.apartments.com/Florida/So...rdale&Vicinity
          sigpic

Comment

I agree with Southflaguy. To get an idea of housing prices, go to a website like rent.com and look at apartment rents. You can also go to realtor.com and search for homes by zip code, so getting a good idea of how home prices are isn't that difficult at all without using a realtor.

I wouldn't suggest buying a house until you're off of probation, as some time in the area will give you an idea of exactly where you want to live and what you can afford. Buying real estate in a particular area based off of other people's opinions or one or two trips to the area really isn't an educated purchase when you consider the size of the investment.

Comment

There are several websites that have cost of living calculators. You out in the income your making where you are and it tells you what you would need to make where your going.

One they don't don't factor is sales and state tax so if the state your going to has none that's a bonus. Also a take home car saves you on average between $2,000-3,000 a year in gas and insurance.
              Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

don't forget to add: property tax's

who pays and who don't : welfare / sect 8

add: 6000 bed jail...........1500 beds in 1986

cost of living is way to much for what it is.
                " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
                  this can change from block to block...
                  Especially driving down Sunrise... all of a sudden, it's nice!

Comment

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah we all know about cost of living websites, and I am sure snowguy is not going to buy a house as soon as he gets hired. What people from other states need is some objective opinions on living in south Florida.

If you ask me what is cost of living in Cincinnati, Ohio I will tell you that My house cost me about 130,000, 3 bedroom 2 bath, build in 1952, small back yard
                    2 car garage. My property taxes about 1400 a year, I have one child I send her to Catholic school for about 2500 a year( 2nd grade). High schools ( Catholic) about 10,000 a year. Sale tax 6.5%. House insurance about 400 a year (house and property). I make about 50,000 base salary and I can afford all this without my wife working. If I missed something ( I know I did) let me know. That is an example of what would help out of state brothers and sisters.
                    There are bigger houses that know you could buy for 150,000 to 200,000.

Comment

Ok -I'll do it that way so you can make a comparison:

My house is a 4 BR/2 1/2 bath, an attached 2 car garage. It has a pool and is on a lake. It is almost 1/2 acre (which is pretty large for down here). It would run around $275-$300k (maybe a little less), but I bought it a few years ago when it was much less. Property taxes are $3800 per year, and insurance was $3300 this year.

Florida sales tax is 6.5%, there is no state income tax.

Car insurance is also probably higher down here too, so take that into consideration - depending on your car and drivers (if you have kids that drive) it could easily hit $2000 or more a year.

Most departments are starting around $45k or so, and depending on the agency it would not be unreasonable to easily hit $65-70k without too much effort - court, off-duty, and overtime.

My wife works, and we could not do it without her working.

Comment

Now you talking

Comment

Originally posted by csu35430
                          My family is in Miramar and when I was livin in tampa I went there all the time, i thought it was a great place much better than tampa..... why do people not recommend it?
                          Miramar is not what it used to be, it use to be a nice place, but it's gotten bad...East Miramar has been a shady spot for a while, I have some friends that live there, too many gangs and drugs...Everyone started moving to West Miramar, but even West Miramar has been going down hill...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by APDSgt View Post
                            Ok -I'll do it that way so you can make a comparison:

My house is a 4 BR/2 1/2 bath, an attached 2 car garage. It has a pool and is on a lake. It is almost 1/2 acre (which is pretty large for down here). It would run around $275-$300k (maybe a little less), but I bought it a few years ago when it was much less. Property taxes are $3800 per year, and insurance was $3300 this year.

Florida sales tax is 6.5%, there is no state income tax.

Car insurance is also probably higher down here too, so take that into consideration - depending on your car and drivers (if you have kids that drive) it could easily hit $2000 or more a year.

Most departments are starting around $45k or so, and depending on the agency it would not be unreasonable to easily hit $65-70k without too much effort - court, off-duty, and overtime.

My wife works, and we could not do it without her working.

If you actually look at how they calculate those COL comparisons on the internet they factor in all the areas you covered. They also do it using thousands of examples and you can check from city to city in that area to see where the best places to live are. I don't think there's someone on this forum from every city in that area that can post numbers like you did.

There are to many variables to just look at one persons situation but when you draw an average over the entire population of a given area you get a better idea of the COL.

Florida is very unique because within a 50 mile radius the COL can vary by over $5,000. If you just pick the capitol of a city for your comparison it will probably be a higher number but if you check the outer suburbs you'll find a big swing.
                            Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3884 users online. 170 members and 3714 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X