Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK booklet is in 1st Draft..So you Want to be a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Commander Wagoner for taking the time to provide such a valuable information booklet. I really enjoyed reading all of it. The format was presented in a way that keeps the reader focused and interested. You point out the negatives and then the positives followed by the the critical information that one needs to know from the police academy to the hiring process. I liked that you didn't jump around to different topic areas. It has a great flow about it. It's a keeper.

Comment

It should be a required reading for everybody who applies to the IPS.
      I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

Well Done. Thank yo very much Shadow Warrior.
        03/2009
        BROWARD COUNTY SWIM- PASS
        BROWARD COUNTY PAT- PASS
        CJ-BAT- PASS
        B-PAD- PASS
        10/09
        BROWARD COUNTY PAT- PASS

08/2009
        PALM BEACH COUNTY PAT- PASS
        MEDICAL-PASS
        POLYGRAPH-PASS
        PSYCOLOGICAL-PASS
        BACKROUND-PASS
        FINAL REVIEW- APPROVED
        PBCC October Academy Class #148 is a go!

Comment

say quick question, I'm in the military as a MP stationed in Florida, and if I don't get the job I'm putting in for in the mil, I will be separating, and applying for a LE job. How far in advanced do you recommend me starting the whole process? I figured I'd start putting feelers out and start the whole process out the beginning of next year (two years out). What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd_jones View Post
            say quick question, I'm in the military as a MP stationed in Florida, and if I don't get the job I'm putting in for in the mil, I will be separating, and applying for a LE job. How far in advanced do you recommend me starting the whole process? I figured I'd start putting feelers out and start the whole process out the beginning of next year (two years out). What do you guys think?
            Up to a year out is good.
            Police Academy Commander
            Lead Firearms Instructor
            35+ years as a cop
            Becoming a Police Officer
            So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

"And everyone that starts out in law enforcement does not make it to retirement."

Ands at the beginning of a sentence is a no-no. The sentence didn't make much sense though. You made it seem as if everyone died before they made it to retirement. I think you might of ment 'not everyone'. I believe 50 percent don't make it.

I think the thing that would stress me out the most (and isn't included) is animal cruelty calls. I would also remove the LOL's too. Otherwise it is very informative.

Of course, I've read all of this before a couple of months ago and you've been posting it around for a couple of years. If it's not finished now then I don't know what finished is. The first thread is near, if not completely identical, even the same spelling mistakes are there.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109844

http://askville.amazon.com/kind-ques...uestId=6427850
              Last edited by LINY; 09-23-2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Wow thanks..

Originally posted by LINY View Post
                "And everyone that starts out in law enforcement does not make it to retirement."

Ands at the beginning of a sentence is a no-no. The sentence didn't make much sense though. You made it seem as if everyone died before they made it to retirement. I think you might of ment 'not everyone'. I believe 50 percent don't make it.

I think the thing that would stress me out the most (and isn't included) is animal cruelty calls. I would also remove the LOL's too. Otherwise it is very informative.

Of course, I've read all of this before a couple of months ago and you've been posting it around for a couple of years. If it's not finished now then I don't know what finished is. The first thread is near, if not completely identical, even the same spelling mistakes are there.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109844

http://askville.amazon.com/kind-ques...uestId=6427850
                Your not a NY investigator are you? The first post was posted in Jan this year and only contained a page or two of the 20+ pages, the second was only six paragraphs and only about part of the oral boards. But hey your right I have been posting for years. Good point. Guess things don't change much over the years, at least not as much as I thought.

If that's it out of all those pages then I am doing OK for a first draft. Its finished when I am done with it and have it published or posted for for the final time. Thanks for the comments, they are always welcome. Again, this is a draft, not the final product, and the typos, spelling, grammar and such are all subject to editing. What I am looking for is content suggestions that would enhance the value to the person wanting to become a cop.

I was going to add a section about out of state cops coming to Florida, but now have changed my mind. Just Kidding, actually am writing it and will be adding it soon. There is a new draft up I just loaded, has a few changes in it suggested by others about the application process.
                Police Academy Commander
                Lead Firearms Instructor
                35+ years as a cop

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

Here is how the sentence was supposed to read, by removing a period and changing the A to a.

"Trust me, law enforcement as a career is not for everyone, and everyone that starts out in law enforcement does not make it to retirement."

We could debate over what sounds best or is most proper or so on, it just is what it is.

Is that better?
                  Police Academy Commander
                  Lead Firearms Instructor
                  35+ years as a cop

Comment

Just giving feedback from what a hopeful NY LEO thinks. You're right about adding more, I didn't really put too much thought re-reading the previous months thread, so I apologize.

Everything in my opinion is pretty good. I think it puts a little too much emphasis on troubles in the hiring process than on the job, even if it is aimed at people who are looking to go through the job process and the academy. Everyone who I've heard from told me that's usually the least of problems of being a LEO and that most stress comes usually comes from the Command, which you did point out in regards to following policies and regs.

You sharing your experiences is certainly valued. I'm not a LEO, but I hold a high place in my heart for animals and I certainly think those would be my difficult calls if I was OTJ. Good work on it so far.
                    Last edited by LINY; 09-24-2009, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Cmdr. Wagoner,

Thanks for the chance to pick the brain of a veteran with more than enough experience. I wouldn't change a single thing you've written. It shows tremendous honesty and depth that those of us looking forward to becoming LEO's are starving for.

I appreciate the fact that you did this, and really look forward to reading what you write in the future. Keep it coming, it is appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Just giving feedback from what a hopeful NY LEO thinks. You're right about adding more, I didn't really put too much thought re-reading the previous months thread, so I apologize.

Everything in my opinion is pretty good. I think it puts a little too much emphasis on troubles in the hiring process than on the job, even if it is aimed at people who are looking to go through the job process and the academy. Everyone who I've heard from told me that's usually the least of problems of being a LEO and that most stress comes usually comes from the Command, which you did point out in regards to following policies and regs.

You sharing your experiences is certainly valued. I'm not a LEO, but I hold a high place in my heart for animals and I certainly think those would be my difficult calls if I was OTJ. Good work on it so far.

Thanks for the comments, they help and are appreciated.
                        Police Academy Commander
                        Lead Firearms Instructor
                        35+ years as a cop

Comment

Originally posted by MDPDWanaB View Post
                          Cmdr. Wagoner,

Thanks for the chance to pick the brain of a veteran with more than enough experience. I wouldn't change a single thing you've written. It shows tremendous honesty and depth that those of us looking forward to becoming LEO's are starving for.

I appreciate the fact that you did this, and really look forward to reading what you write in the future. Keep it coming, it is appreciated.

Thanks
                          Well thanks, that makes me sound really old and tired. LOL No actually I appreciate the encouragement. I worked on it a few hours again last night and up loaded the newest draft.

Thanks again..
                          Police Academy Commander
                          Lead Firearms Instructor
                          35+ years as a cop

Comment

Added several areas. Going to work on the Oral board section tonight.
                            Police Academy Commander
                            Lead Firearms Instructor
                            35+ years as a cop

Comment

Kudos for the obvious amount of time and effort you put into your work. Just one thing though regarding the minimum requirements section. 943.13 states an officer cannot have been convicted of ANY FELONY or of a misdemeanor involving perjuty or false statement. The perjury/false statements only applies to misdemeanors, any felony conviction is an automatic disqualifier.

Comment

Thank you for doing this, having all this information in a single source is quite helpful.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4919 users online. 304 members and 4615 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X