Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

accredited law enforcement academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • accredited law enforcement academy?

    does anyone have information on any accredited law enforcement training academy in the tampa area besides the one offered at HCC? I hear that HCSO will set you up there but Im looking for any other option insttead of relying solely on them. Also, has any one used their G.I. Bill or some other means of payment that the military offers to pay for the academy? thanks

  • #2
    Check out St Pete. Pretty sure they have an academy.

    I used my GI Bill for two academies and on the job training.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ryan, I noticed you mentioned using a G.I. which makes me believe your were in a branch of the military. It that is accurate then check out his link http://www.spcollege.edu/AC/EOT.htm It's called EOT or Equivalency Of Training program offered to military by St. Petersburg college. 3 week academy, take the cert test at the end and your certified and ready to go! Hope this helps.

      813
      USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
      Oorah!

      Comment


      • #4
        813, thats only if he was an MP/SP/MA in either branch, and only if he was in a law enforcement unit. Just because you were an MP does not automatically qualify you for the EOT process. You've gotta prove that you were actively involved in law enforcement and standing a gate dosent count. There are stipulations for that.

        If he wasnt an MP then he's gotta do the full academy. Just because he's a vet dosent mean he wont have to do the academy.

        His profile says that he's in the Coast Guard and based on his previous posts, he's not in a law enforcement unit.
        Last edited by Unit453; 09-06-2009, 10:53 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Whoops I was ill informed by the secretary at the front desk haha. She just told me you had to have been active duty military. She said it didn't matter what you do. My apologies, thanks for clearing that up Unit.

          813
          USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
          Oorah!

          Comment


          • #6
            why dont you want to attend the HCC academy?

            Comment


            • #7
              thank you 813 and everyone else who chimed in. first off,

              yes I am in active duty currently and my end of enlistment is in dec. of 2010. I am just trying to get my info together instead of waiting till the last minute.

              I'm going to give that school a call here in a few and see what its all about. I am currently in the coast guard. I'm a boarding officer (enforcement of FEDERAL laws) so maybe I stand a chance of going to that school and seeing if I can qualify for anything. I am not too familiar with the MP's and what their A&J is but I would assume they are limited to military bases and the enforcement to the laws only on the base...which is federal laws? Im not too sure.

              The coast guard gets looked at funny at times when it comes to a "military" outlook or as a federal law enforcement officer. but Its legit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Here is the EOT information site: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...uivalency.aspx

                Here is a list of Florida Selection Centers that can do a Equivalency of Training if you need to get information of that: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...R-LISTING.aspx

                Here is a list of all the Training Academies in Florida,
                http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...g-Centers.aspx

                Also feel free to contact me with any questions you may have..

                Be safe..
                Police Academy Commander
                Lead Firearms Instructor
                35+ years as a cop
                Becoming a Police Officer
                So you think you can do this job?


                I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Interesting.. I didnt realise how many schools there are to choose from in the state. I just compleated all the pre testing to start the October class at Palm Beach Community... Any Feedback about this program they offer there at PBCC?? From what im being told its one of the best to go to...
                  So this now raises a big question for me... Depending what school program you attend dose it matter where you go take the training from when you apply for that certified position??
                  03/2009
                  BROWARD COUNTY SWIM- PASS
                  BROWARD COUNTY PAT- PASS
                  CJ-BAT- PASS
                  B-PAD- PASS
                  10/09
                  BROWARD COUNTY PAT- PASS

                  08/2009
                  PALM BEACH COUNTY PAT- PASS
                  MEDICAL-PASS
                  POLYGRAPH-PASS
                  PSYCOLOGICAL-PASS
                  BACKROUND-PASS
                  FINAL REVIEW- APPROVED
                  PBCC October Academy Class #148 is a go!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ryjay7887 View Post
                    thank you 813 and everyone else who chimed in. first off,

                    yes I am in active duty currently and my end of enlistment is in dec. of 2010. I am just trying to get my info together instead of waiting till the last minute.

                    I'm going to give that school a call here in a few and see what its all about. I am currently in the coast guard. I'm a boarding officer (enforcement of FEDERAL laws) so maybe I stand a chance of going to that school and seeing if I can qualify for anything. I am not too familiar with the MP's and what their A&J is but I would assume they are limited to military bases and the enforcement to the laws only on the base...which is federal laws? Im not too sure.

                    The coast guard gets looked at funny at times when it comes to a "military" outlook or as a federal law enforcement officer. but Its legit.

                    They'll never go for that. I dont mean to burst your bubble or anything but its not considered law enforcement in the state of Florida's eyes. If you dont enforce laws, police a population, complete police reports, work traffic crashes, process DUI's, make arrests for misdemeanor and felony crimes, you are not a law enforcement officer. Plus, you'll have to send FDLE your training records pertaining to your "law enforcement" experience.

                    I know what you guys do and I think the job is pretty cool. I'm just saying that if you havent been to an academy, policed a population, the state will never go for it. I know because several of my friends from the military attempted to get Florida certified. Two are current and active Pentagon police officers. Federal, U.S. Department of Defense law enforcement working up in DC. Both got denied because in their FLETC academy didnt cover traffic crashes or traffic enforcement.

                    I also know two former MP's that I knew when I was in the Army. We were in sister units. I was in a law enforcement unit and they were in a combat unit. FDLE denied them based on the fact that they had no real experience in the field.



                    You should be looking at several schools that start at or around the time when you get out. You could get out and walk right into an academy. You can collect unemployment during and your GI Bill, assuming you coasties have it. I have no idea since I know you guys are DHS and not DoD.

                    And for the record, MP's in any branch, have authority over military members anywhere in the entire world, no matter if its on the installation or not, for UCMJ violations. They enforce UCMJ, Federal, State traffic and installation policies.
                    Last edited by Unit453; 09-10-2009, 06:54 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here check out my academy: www.policecareers.org

                      I think we have a pretty good rep and turn out a highly sought after officer.
                      Police Academy Commander
                      Lead Firearms Instructor
                      35+ years as a cop
                      Becoming a Police Officer
                      So you think you can do this job?


                      I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You might want to check out around Florida, they have rich resources in terms of these kinds of schools. I would suggest Southeastern Military Academy. As a college-preparatory school, Southeastern Military Academy has built a reputation as a rigorous boot camp school. The school has adopted the state Department of Juvenile Justice policies in terms of restraining students, employing restraints to “secure juveniles that pose a threat of running away” as opposed to using them as punishment. Click here to know more.
                        Last edited by sarahtornado; 06-23-2011, 04:38 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just to clarify, FDLE does not approve the EOT....Its the testing agency (CJ Academy) that makes the approval and FDLE just allows you to sit in for the state exam. I am not sure about the other branches but the US Army MP School is accredited for some sort of LE Training based on the changes they have made in recent years and from what I have seen, the MP School training is more indepth than what Florida even provides

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MPInv View Post
                            the MP School training is more indepth than what Florida even provides
                            Really? Then explain to me how we have had two experienced active duty MPs come to my agency in the past few years and not make it off of probation (one failed during the field training program).

                            Florida is one of only a very few states that will accept military law enforcement training and experience for EOT. It's a bad idea and should not be done. Very few members of military law enforcement do anything related to civilian LE work anymore, and this is evident by the fact that civilian DoD police are taking over garrison policing duties at most military installations. While the MP training might be good in the areas of weapons and tactics, many MPs who enter civilian LE are sorely lacking when it comes to knowledge of the law, investigative skills, report writing, and basic law enforcement experience and general knowledge.

                            I'm by no means discounting the job that MPs do, as they serve an important role in the military like many other MOSs. It's just that the job of an MP doesn't really mirror the job of a civilian LEO at all.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
                              Really? Then explain to me how we have had two experienced active duty MPs come to my agency in the past few years and not make it off of probation (one failed during the field training program).

                              Florida is one of only a very few states that will accept military law enforcement training and experience for EOT. It's a bad idea and should not be done. Very few members of military law enforcement do anything related to civilian LE work anymore, and this is evident by the fact that civilian DoD police are taking over garrison policing duties at most military installations. While the MP training might be good in the areas of weapons and tactics, many MPs who enter civilian LE are sorely lacking when it comes to knowledge of the law, investigative skills, report writing, and basic law enforcement experience and general knowledge.

                              I'm by no means discounting the job that MPs do, as they serve an important role in the military like many other MOSs. It's just that the job of an MP doesn't really mirror the job of a civilian LEO at all.



                              Yep, thanks to the DOD Police. I remember being so angry when DOD Police took over the L/E Mission at our training base in Key West. Had it not been for that, I would of LOVED my job and would of probably stayed in longer than I did.


                              You still have some units that have L/E Missions in their bases or where their at. But, the L/E Mission oriented units are slowly and sadly getting dissolved by DOD Police.
                              Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6487 users online. 355 members and 6132 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X