NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Seeing the effect of the economy on police first hand...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJR1709
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2006

Seeing the effect of the economy on police first hand...

Those of us in the LEO profession hear about the budgets and budget cuts/crunches that each of our cities or counties are working through currently. Maybe it's the battle for a new contract or new equipment or even hiring freezes, etc. Everyone gets together in person or through forums like this and talks about what their agency is going through. This week I was in a professional development class at the Broward Academy. During this past week I obviously spoke with the other cops in my class representing agencies in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach and as much as everyone talked about their issues with budgets that are effecting them, nothing struck me as much as the issue with the cadets at the academy. Well, the lack of them I should say. I went through the Broward Academy about 3 or so years ago and I remember there being tons of cadets out there and numerous classes going on at the same time. I remember in the courtyard each morning for the raising of the flag each class was packed in there together. Now, there were only two small LEO classes going on there and nothing else, no CSO, DJJ, etc. It was a far cry from what I remembered and that really got me especially since crime is up everywhere and we need more cops out there helping the rest of us. I sure hope things change here soon but it probably won't. The lack of new people coming out scares me in regards to the manpower issues that apparently will lie ahead. Just my thoughts, be safe out there everyone.
    Last edited by SJR1709; 09-04-2009, 02:45 PM.
  • mbpdhopeful
    Forum Junkie
    • Mar 2009

i couldn't agree more, my parents are both retired police sgts with MDPD and i have talked with a lot of LEOs and many officers are getting ready to retire. this is going to play a major role on manpower out there on the streets.
    sigpic

R.I.P. Sgt. Michael Diaz
    D.O.D. May 30th, 2002
    Miami-Dade Police Dept.

Comment

• Hisrighteousnes
      Helper of Joy of others
      • Apr 2009

i had a response but i changed it...dont want to start another fire

Comment

• Highwaylaw
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2009

Up here the legislature wants to hire 80 cops just to START to offset retirements, but the County Exec wants to ELIMINATE 300+ spots that are currently funded but not filled AND layoff a handful of officers. Our specialized units are being forced back to patrol just to keep up with the 911 calls. My department is collapsing in on itself...
        "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
        but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

• BOSMIA
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Highwaylaw
          Up here the legislature wants to hire 80 cops just to START to offset retirements, but the County Exec wants to ELIMINATE 300+ spots that are currently funded but not filled AND layoff a handful of officers. Our specialized units are being forced back to patrol just to keep up with the 911 calls. My department is collapsing in on itself...
          wow!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20598 users online. 56 members and 20542 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...