Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it still worth self sponsoring?

Hi All,

My plan was to move to Florida and self-sponsor myself through the academy. But, with this economy, is it still worth self sponsoring? I don't want to spend all the money and not have a job when I get done.

Also, for those of you who relocated to Florida, did you go a year prior to establish residency, or did you just pay the out of state tuition for the academy?

And lastly, I have no military and only a year of college. Most of my experience is in non-sworn civilian police jobs and security. I am thinking about joining the Coast Guard or Navy. Do you think departments will still hire certified applicants who self sponsored without miltary/college?

Thanks!

Well once you finish you have 4 years to find a job in LE before you have to re-do the academy. I took the risk by quitting a very good job and making it trough the academy unemployed, then came out at the end working for one of the top agencies in the state as a deputy sheriff. I made many attempts at get sponsored for the academy being told I was not good enough. The key is giving it your best in the academy. There is always going to be a high turn-around in LE. If you do it on your own with out any help from an agency that shows that you really want the job.
    I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

Today it is much more beneficial to self sponsor than it was 5 years ago. If you were a police chief or sheriff with a shrinking budget and needed to add a new hire; you would pick the turn key applicant who has completed the academy vs the guy you needed to spend 2k to put through the academy.
      Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Stay Safe

Comment

I think the first question you should be asking yourself is "Why Florida".. make sure you have valid reasons to move here besides wanting a job in L.E. There may be other states where it would be easier for you to get hired.

There are many departments now which require at least an A.A. degree. Your one year of college and no military will not make you that competitive at most departments. However, you could take what you could find, do a 1 year or two then move on.

Good Luck

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info guys

Comment

I've seen people right and left get hired throughout FL with no military, no related law enforcement work and/or very little to no college credits completed in unrelated fields. Do it - but it may take some time due to the economy these days and the lack of investment by many PD's in order to hang on to money and restructure budgets!

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelshadow View Post
              I've seen people right and left get hired throughout FL with no military, no related law enforcement work and/or very little to no college credits completed in unrelated fields. Do it - but it may take some time due to the economy these days and the lack of investment by many PD's in order to hang on to money and restructure budgets!
              Finally someone who agrees that you don't have to have military and or college to become a cop !!!!

Comment

I would say it is worth it. Instead of waiting around for an agency to sponsor, I went the self-sponsored route. Sure it is more of a burden on you, but you look better for agencies looking to hire, you show that you have determination, and best of all you really learn how to budget (something any LEO job will require as-is). Most LEA's in FL now are requiring the basic hiring process steps agencies are (poly/psych/PAT, etc)

Comment

the 1st option...talk to the guy from hillsborough....apparently hcso is sponsoring...i would be all over that if i wasnt already certified...fulfill their committment and move on with life....

the 2nd option...self sponsor and have 12-18 months of income to support yourself while in the academy and waiting for LE employment....

no you dont need military or college...but it would be good to have seeing as how you will deal with all people from all walks of society at any given time...this is really not the best time to get exposed to different people for the 1st time in this environment...but you know...

Comment

i wouldnt say 12-18 months of income...sure it would be nice to have a buffer zone, but once you are certifiable it is fairly easy to get a decent security gig somewhere.

Comment

Worked well for me about a year and a half ago. I self-sponsored but was picked up halfway through the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by pyro2 View Post
                        i wouldnt say 12-18 months of income...sure it would be nice to have a buffer zone, but once you are certifiable it is fairly easy to get a decent security gig somewhere.

if you are trying anywhere outside of southeast fl where budgets are big due to nicer property values...then yes
                        1-2 mos to get into an academy
                        5-7 mos to complete academy
                        2-4 mos to process an application with a dept
                        2-4 mos of waiting on a decision from a dept because...
                        few more weeks of whatever...

from scratch to hired...you need to plan for 12-18 mos because most of us have families and homes to maintain and we cant live on rice and beans with two other guys...

just plan well thats all i'm saying...if you plan for 12 months and it takes 7, then you just earned yourself a nice vacation at the end of your probation....
                        Last edited by Hisrighteousnes; 07-11-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info guys. I've decided I'm just gonna move down and self sponsor.

Now, you can cut down on that 12 months a little bit by applying to the departments while in the academy, right? they will let you do that?

Comment

I dont know about you but, I cant afford to save up a years pay to self sponsor. I have student loans, car loan, rent, health insurance etc etc. All those bills cant be cut and they will follow me to florida. Unless, I got a job on the weekends that paid $40 an hr and worked a min of 16 hrs a day it wouldnt work.

Comment

Look into down here in the southeast part of the state, the Dade, Broward, Palm Beach area. Here agency sponsorship is pretty much the standard. It's pretty rare these days to find people in this area that self-sponsor. Just do your research and see who is hiring. Good luck to you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4798 users online. 259 members and 4539 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X