300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Tampa PD Officers on here?

I'm a cop down in the southeast part of the state but may consider a change to the west coast, namely Tampa. If there are any TPD officers on here that would be willing to answer a few questions for me it'd be greatly appreciated. TPD officers only please reply, not people who live in Tampa, are looking to apply with them, or have a buddy who's uncle's cousins, sister's brother's mother knows someone who works there. Thanks.

Tpd

I am a LEO in Fl too with over 10 years on the job and applied about a year ago with TPD. I found their background Inv very unprofessional. I went through some of the process and did the physical only to learn that they do not allow any visible tattoos. I have a small non offensive tat on my forearm from the military. I was told it would have to be removed by a laser and that I could not wear long sleeve shirts to cover it. I do not have a problem if that is their policy, but why not tell you up front instead of wasting my time? Good Luck, but they do not treat cops with exp any better than boot green rooks.

Comment

BUT my buddy's uncle's cousins, sister's brother's mother always has accurate information!!!!!!!
      I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

"Why didn't you put that out on the radio?"
      "I don't know Sarge, I guess I got caught up in the moment"
      "The MOMENT is when we F--king need you!" - K-9 Sgt Myhre to unidentified Officer

In Valor there is Hope

Comment

Originally posted by SJR1709 View Post
        I'm a cop down in the southeast part of the state but may consider a change to the west coast, namely Tampa. If there are any TPD officers on here that would be willing to answer a few questions for me it'd be greatly appreciated. TPD officers only please reply, not people who live in Tampa, are looking to apply with them, or have a buddy who's uncle's cousins, sister's brother's mother knows someone who works there. Thanks.
        pm'd
        USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
        Oorah!

Comment

Originally posted by davidh304 View Post
          BUT my buddy's uncle's cousins, sister's brother's mother always has accurate information!!!!!!!
          Well then maybe I was mistaken then huh...please...have them respond as well by all means. With all the emphasis and conviction you seem to have behind that statement using all those exclamation points, how could you ever steer me or anyone wrong. Thank you ever so much good sir.

Comment

I work for TPD. Ask away.

Comment

HCSO is hiring, we work in Tampa also. Unlike TPP, hcso pays for your academy.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FLASOG View Post
                HCSO is hiring, we work in Tampa also. Unlike TPP, hcso pays for your academy.
                I appreciate the input, I've got a buddy who's a road deputy for HCSO. I'm a cop already in FL with experience, no academy needed. Thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
                  I work for TPD. Ask away.
                  I've pretty much given up on a police career in Florida, but I'll throw some stuff out there that might help the newbies (and satisfy my own curiosity).

- How strict is TPD in their hiring process? What kind of things can kill your application or put it on the fast track?

- How long does the hiring process take?

- Does TPD keep their recruiting open, or do they only allow applications a few times a year?

- When you begin FTO, what part of the city do you generally start out in?

- How tough is the FTO program?

- What duty gear is allowed/available to you? IE service weapon, duty belt...etc.

- How much of your gear is provided by TPD and how much do you have to purchase with your own money?

Thanks for taking the time to help out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Code311 View Post
                    - How strict is TPD in their hiring process? What kind of things can kill your application or put it on the fast track?
                    I would say that the hiring process is just as strict as most other desirable departments that get a lot of applicants. The same things that kill your chances at other agencies (arrests, bad credit, poor work history, drug use, bad driving record, etc.) will kill your chances here.

As to putting it on the fast track, the thing that really makes you desirable for hire is prior LE experience at another agency. We hire almost exclusively experienced LEOs nowadays, as there is a lot less attrition than recruits without prior experience. We recently hired a class of 12 and all of them have prior LE experience, either in civilian LE or military LE.

- How long does the hiring process take?
                    It depends. With the beginning steps of the hiring process, maybe three to four months. It's very possible though that you pass the first steps and never get called back for a conditional offer if you're not what the department is looking for. There are lots of applications and like I said before, preference is given to experienced LEOs. It seems as though the average for people who do get hired is anywhere from six-12 months.

- Does TPD keep their recruiting open, or do they only allow applications a few times a year?
                    Recruiting is open constantly, but that is always subject to change due to economic conditions.

- When you begin FTO, what part of the city do you generally start out in?
                    It depends. There are FTO squads in three out of the six sectors so you have an equal chance of starting in any of them. You will rotate to each of the three sectors during training, and all training is done on evening shift.

- How tough is the FTO program?
                    When we hired mainly people fresh out of the academy with no experience, we had a lot more people fail out of the program than we do now. Back when we had the scholarship program, there were classes when half of the recruits would fail the FTO program. That's one of the reasons why we stopped the scholarship program. We still have experienced officers not make it through the program now, but it's maybe one or two per class.

- What duty gear is allowed/available to you? IE service weapon, duty belt...etc.
                    The department is going to be switching to the S&W M&P .40 this summer. You can also carry a personally owned Sig or Beretta 9mm if you want. Issued duty gear is all nylon, and it's the typical stuff everyone else gets (X26, OC, ASP, etc).

- How much of your gear is provided by TPD and how much do you have to purchase with your own money?
                    Everything but shoes and socks is provided by the department. The department has shotguns that they provide if you qualify and want one, but you must purchase your own AR if you want one.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to answer those questions!

Comment

I have a question. Why apply to any agencies on the East coast if TPD pays better and tops out better, and the Tampa Bay area is cheaper? I know that they don't hire non-certified applicants, but you can get over that bump in the road in a couple years.
                        Respect is a two-way concept, you have to give it to receive it.

Comment

My experience is not bias, nor comes from LE background, and in no way shape or form does it put down other departments. But when I was going through the process for the TPD Reserve Force they told me the men and women they had been hiring recently consisted of Army Rangers, Navy Seals, The highest skilled Marines. Now like I said I don't know what other agencies look for in particular, but TPD seems to be very picky and because of the pay, benefits, cost of living, ETC they can be. Again just what I have gathered from the past 1 1/2 of trying to becom LE.

USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
                          Oorah!

Comment

To SJR1709 comment below me, I'm sorry then for my comment previously stated. I guess it's due impart to me being so naive and young still. So from now on at I'll just keep my on opinions to myself. I have talked to some cops I know, but I know they're in departments that they are currently upset with. So I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I honestly didn't mean it the wrong way. I was just stating what I've seen and heard.
                            Last edited by GRiNGiTo1991; 06-26-2009, 05:57 PM.
                            Respect is a two-way concept, you have to give it to receive it.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiNGiTo1991 View Post
                              Oo okay now I understand. But even HCSO and St.Pete and Clearwater have pretty much the same COL value as Tampa, and they pay either the same or better than east coast agencies. Shouldn't the East Coast try to do something about that. I mean I do understand that there will always be applicants for their depts no-matter what the salary base. But someone who has a degree or has that something extra to bring to the table, probably would want the best agency that they could go to. From everything I've heard, seen online, and hear from you guys on here. Hands down the West Coast (LE) wise is better than the East.
                              I wouldn't necessarily say that. I started this thread while thinking of a possible move back to Tampa and possibly going to TPD. While I am a firm believer that TPD is a great agency, as well as HCSO, after talking to the few guys from TPD on here, and I do greatly appreciate their time and help, I saw that I'd personally be giving up too much to go there. Cost of living is slightly lower up there than down here in south FL, but it's very close now. It didn't used to be like that. Also, many agencies down here do pay alot more than Tampa and sponsoring through the academy is the standard here, not the exception like up there. Tampa is a great city and TPD is a large agency which is a plus. Unfortunately, and I do mean that because I would've like to go there, I couldn't make the move because the pay and benefits here were far greater and I would've taken a big pay cut. I'm no long timer either, just got a couple years on. Anyway, basically what I'm trying to say is do your research thoroughly first, talk to people on the side who can give you legit details, not people who think they know. Then once you feel comfortable apply where you wish and see what works best for you. Good luck to you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3601 users online. 231 members and 3370 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X