Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida Department of Corrections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Florida Department of Corrections

    Ive applied at several state corrections facilities and I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them

    Ive gotten supplemental packets back from 3 insititutions and my question is because they send you your supplemental packet back does that mean they are starting the employment process with you or does it just mean they want you to fill it out so you'll be considered for future employment?

    Also which of the following would be the best place to work at?
    (I have receieved Supplmental Packets from the following)
    Union Correctional Institution
    Lancaster Correctional Institution
    Reception and Medical Center (Lake Butler)

    Thanks in advance!
    Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Corrections Applicant
    CJBAT PASSED 98%
    Pre-application/Drug Survey PASSED
    Orientation PASSED
    Written Exam PASSED
    Physical Abilities Test PASSED
    Polygraph PASSED
    Background Check PASSED
    Work-Along PASSED
    Oral Board SCHEDULED
    Physical Exam
    Psychological Exam


    Florida Department of Corrections
    Oral Board Scheduled (RMC)

  • #2
    I don't have any answers for your questions, but I think you'd be much better off going with a county corrections facility. The pay is usually better, you're still in the state retirement system, and most are ran by the Sheriff, meaning it would be easier to transfer to the road if so desired. They will also usually send you through the corrections academy just like DOC will. I do see that you're already in the process with Jacksonville, so this isn't a new thought for you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by StudChris View Post
      I don't have any answers for your questions, but I think you'd be much better off going with a county corrections facility. The pay is usually better, you're still in the state retirement system, and most are ran by the Sheriff, meaning it would be easier to transfer to the road if so desired. They will also usually send you through the corrections academy just like DOC will. I do see that you're already in the process with Jacksonville, so this isn't a new thought for you.
      Yeah I love the thought of working for Jacksonville but I will have to move to work there and until I recieve my first paycheck so I can move Im going to have to drive back and foward to the academy everyday from Jacksonville. (meaning Im going to have to get up about 3:30 AM everyday and get home at 7pm or so and I have to study while Im in the academy a friend told me whos going through it right now)


      All the local county sheriffs including ASO arent sponsoring right now. Hell money is so tight here in Alachua that they arent even hiring certified corrections officers.

      With the Region II state prisons (At least the ones that have sent supplemental packets back) I wont have to move and I get put to work right away shadowing which are big bonus.

      Plus after a year I can transfer to Gainesville Correctional Institution and directly serve my community which was my goal in the first place.
      Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Corrections Applicant
      CJBAT PASSED 98%
      Pre-application/Drug Survey PASSED
      Orientation PASSED
      Written Exam PASSED
      Physical Abilities Test PASSED
      Polygraph PASSED
      Background Check PASSED
      Work-Along PASSED
      Oral Board SCHEDULED
      Physical Exam
      Psychological Exam


      Florida Department of Corrections
      Oral Board Scheduled (RMC)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by floridafbody View Post
        Ive applied at several state corrections facilities and I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them

        Ive gotten supplemental packets back from 3 insititutions and my question is because they send you your supplemental packet back does that mean they are starting the employment process with you or does it just mean they want you to fill it out so you'll be considered for future employment?

        Also which of the following would be the best place to work at?
        (I have receieved Supplmental Packets from the following)
        Union Correctional Institution
        Lancaster Correctional Institution
        Reception and Medical Center (Lake Butler)

        Thanks in advance!
        Being that you actually received the app package, I would say that they're ready to start your hiring process.

        As for the best choice out of the 3 depends on you. I would have to tell you that they're all excellent choices being the fact that they're located in what is known through DOC as Region 2, which is where I began my career (Cross City CI). If you have a HIGH tolerance level, then by all means please elect to go to Lancaster (Youthful Offenders), #2 Union (Death Row) and #3 RMC....Well the name speaks for itself = job security!
        I LOVE IT!
        "GET BACK IN YOUR CELL"
        "PLEASE REMAIN SEATED IN YOUR VEHICLE AND I'LL BE WITH YOU IN A MINUTE"
        WHO EVER SAID THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS WOULDN'T BE FUN.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bigstakz View Post
          Being that you actually received the app package, I would say that they're ready to start your hiring process.

          As for the best choice out of the 3 depends on you. I would have to tell you that they're all excellent choices being the fact that they're located in what is known through DOC as Region 2, which is where I began my career (Cross City CI). If you have a HIGH tolerance level, then by all means please elect to go to Lancaster (Youthful Offenders), #2 Union (Death Row) and #3 RMC....Well the name speaks for itself = job security!
          THANK YOU for your reply!

          I'm thinking of applying first to the Reception and Medical center. Its the closest to Gainesville.

          I have a few more questions

          1) How long is the average hiring process with the state? I have a perfectly clean background have lived at the same one address for the last 15 years or so (Im only 19)

          2) What exactly are the neighborhood checks they sent with the application? Are they for your supplemental packet neighborhood references?

          3) What steps are involved in the process. All it says on the fldocjobs.com is that there will be "additional steps" if they choose you (This ties in with my first question

          Thanks in advance!
          Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Corrections Applicant
          CJBAT PASSED 98%
          Pre-application/Drug Survey PASSED
          Orientation PASSED
          Written Exam PASSED
          Physical Abilities Test PASSED
          Polygraph PASSED
          Background Check PASSED
          Work-Along PASSED
          Oral Board SCHEDULED
          Physical Exam
          Psychological Exam


          Florida Department of Corrections
          Oral Board Scheduled (RMC)

          Comment


          • #6
            I took me a long time to get on, but they were in a hiring freeze then. I don't work for them anymore, but county does usually pay alot more as the other poster stated. You used to have to work for them a year before you could transfer your certification. This may not be the case anymore. Btw Lake Butler is way, way in bfe.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by web62 View Post
              I took me a long time to get on, but they were in a hiring freeze then. I don't work for them anymore, but county does usually pay alot more as the other poster stated. You used to have to work for them a year before you could transfer your certification. This may not be the case anymore. Btw Lake Butler is way, way in bfe.
              Lake Butler is better than Lancaster in the fact that Lacaster is in a county with ONE stoplight in the whole county according to wikipedia (And no road with more than two lanes)

              Hopefully bigstakz will chime in soon with his thoughts. The hiring freeze is over for DOC and no one seems to have gone through the process Pre-hiring freeze to tell me how long it takes
              Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Corrections Applicant
              CJBAT PASSED 98%
              Pre-application/Drug Survey PASSED
              Orientation PASSED
              Written Exam PASSED
              Physical Abilities Test PASSED
              Polygraph PASSED
              Background Check PASSED
              Work-Along PASSED
              Oral Board SCHEDULED
              Physical Exam
              Psychological Exam


              Florida Department of Corrections
              Oral Board Scheduled (RMC)

              Comment


              • #8
                Good Luck, im still waiting for my Supplemental Packets.
                Florida Department Of Correction Applicant (S.F.R.C.)
                CJBAT- PASSED- 3/2009
                Interviewed- 09-01-09

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by floridafbody View Post
                  THANK YOU for your reply!

                  I'm thinking of applying first to the Reception and Medical center. Its the closest to Gainesville.

                  I have a few more questions

                  1) How long is the average hiring process with the state? I have a perfectly clean background have lived at the same one address for the last 15 years or so (Im only 19)

                  2) What exactly are the neighborhood checks they sent with the application? Are they for your supplemental packet neighborhood references?

                  3) What steps are involved in the process. All it says on the fldocjobs.com is that there will be "additional steps" if they choose you (This ties in with my first question

                  Thanks in advance!
                  My process was 3-4 months.

                  The neighborhood/ reference checks were sent directly to my neighbors.

                  The process is roughly them same as everyone else with the exception of the Psych and Poly/ CVSA. You take the FBAT or CJBAT, Background check, Interview, and Medical.
                  I LOVE IT!
                  "GET BACK IN YOUR CELL"
                  "PLEASE REMAIN SEATED IN YOUR VEHICLE AND I'LL BE WITH YOU IN A MINUTE"
                  WHO EVER SAID THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS WOULDN'T BE FUN.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by floridafbody View Post
                    Lake Butler is better than Lancaster in the fact that Lacaster is in a county with ONE stoplight in the whole county according to wikipedia (And no road with more than two lanes)

                    Hopefully bigstakz will chime in soon with his thoughts. The hiring freeze is over for DOC and no one seems to have gone through the process Pre-hiring freeze to tell me how long it takes
                    Lake Butler will be better for you for longevity purposes. At lancaster you'll ALWAYS have to be on your toes for the silly S**T the the "JITS" do. You won't experience a lot of the manipulation from the Y.O.'s that you would from an institution such as Lake Butler. Older inmates that have been around for longer than you could imagine can and would be able to tell you exactly how to do your job. But now knowing your age, you will be in for a ride where ever you choose to go.
                    I LOVE IT!
                    "GET BACK IN YOUR CELL"
                    "PLEASE REMAIN SEATED IN YOUR VEHICLE AND I'LL BE WITH YOU IN A MINUTE"
                    WHO EVER SAID THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS WOULDN'T BE FUN.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bigstakz View Post
                      Lake Butler will be better for you for longevity purposes. At lancaster you'll ALWAYS have to be on your toes for the silly S**T the the "JITS" do. You won't experience a lot of the manipulation from the Y.O.'s that you would from an institution such as Lake Butler. Older inmates that have been around for longer than you could imagine can and would be able to tell you exactly how to do your job. But now knowing your age, you will be in for a ride where ever you choose to go.
                      I dropped my supplemental packet at RMC and UCI today. RMC seems to want to expedite my process as much as possible. The recruiter said she would call me to setup my interview next week (While UCI seems to want to take their time by the tone of the recruiter there) Any thoughts on this bigstakz?
                      Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Corrections Applicant
                      CJBAT PASSED 98%
                      Pre-application/Drug Survey PASSED
                      Orientation PASSED
                      Written Exam PASSED
                      Physical Abilities Test PASSED
                      Polygraph PASSED
                      Background Check PASSED
                      Work-Along PASSED
                      Oral Board SCHEDULED
                      Physical Exam
                      Psychological Exam


                      Florida Department of Corrections
                      Oral Board Scheduled (RMC)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by web62 View Post
                        I took me a long time to get on, but they were in a hiring freeze then. I don't work for them anymore, but county does usually pay alot more as the other poster stated. You used to have to work for them a year before you could transfer your certification. This may not be the case anymore. Btw Lake Butler is way, way in bfe.
                        Lake Butler isnt that bad! I went there today its only about a mile from the main town of Lake Butler. Hell Raiford (UCI) is much worse than RMC.
                        Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Corrections Applicant
                        CJBAT PASSED 98%
                        Pre-application/Drug Survey PASSED
                        Orientation PASSED
                        Written Exam PASSED
                        Physical Abilities Test PASSED
                        Polygraph PASSED
                        Background Check PASSED
                        Work-Along PASSED
                        Oral Board SCHEDULED
                        Physical Exam
                        Psychological Exam


                        Florida Department of Corrections
                        Oral Board Scheduled (RMC)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Are the Supplmental Packets the one's that can't be printed online? Because i had to apply a second time through PeopleFirst.com.

                          Thanks.
                          Florida Department Of Correction Applicant (S.F.R.C.)
                          CJBAT- PASSED- 3/2009
                          Interviewed- 09-01-09

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by froilan View Post
                            Are the Supplmental Packets the one's that can't be printed online? Because i had to apply a second time through PeopleFirst.com.

                            Thanks.
                            The application you send through people first is just that - an application. You can download and print the basic supplemental package from fldocjobs.com
                            However...
                            It is better to wait for them to send you your packet because it includes more items, most of it pertaining to the background check. Like your Neighborhood check, background check waiver, domestic violence affidavit, etc. So they dont have to do all that stuff individualy. (You can take care of that stuff much more efficiantly than the state can)

                            Also when they send you your supplemental app, include a draft registration confirmation sheet and a driving record copy. Driving record copies can be obtained at the clerk of the courts. (Where you pay your citations if you get one)

                            Selective service system confirmations can be obtained here
                            https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx
                            Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Corrections Applicant
                            CJBAT PASSED 98%
                            Pre-application/Drug Survey PASSED
                            Orientation PASSED
                            Written Exam PASSED
                            Physical Abilities Test PASSED
                            Polygraph PASSED
                            Background Check PASSED
                            Work-Along PASSED
                            Oral Board SCHEDULED
                            Physical Exam
                            Psychological Exam


                            Florida Department of Corrections
                            Oral Board Scheduled (RMC)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thank's for the information Floridafbody.
                              Florida Department Of Correction Applicant (S.F.R.C.)
                              CJBAT- PASSED- 3/2009
                              Interviewed- 09-01-09

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8070 users online. 238 members and 7832 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X