300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT Academy for certified officers

I searched this forum and couldn't come up with much. What is the DOT academy like for those who are already certified?
    "It's not a lie Officer,
    It's a creative recollection."

3 months, then 3 months of fto.

Comment

3 months of WHAT??? It can't possibly take 3 months to learn DOT stuff, that most have to pound the book to figure out on scene anyways.. Just like FHP's 9-wk transition for certified people...WHY?? You have been writing the same darn citiations and filling in the same darn crash forms... How can it be any different??
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
        3 months of WHAT??? It can't possibly take 3 months to learn DOT stuff, that most have to pound the book to figure out on scene anyways.. Just like FHP's 9-wk transition for certified people...WHY?? You have been writing the same darn citiations and filling in the same darn crash forms... How can it be any different??
        have you ever read the DOT CMV manual? its a bit more than "writing the same citations" and "the same crash forms". i also heard that FTO isn't a walk in the park either. These FDOT guys really know their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
          Bro you're kidding right? I think it's safe to say that a DOT has to know tons more about traffic than us regular traffic folk. Yes... 95% of what they do is the same over and over again... just like 95% of the stuff we do is the same over and over again... but their Charlie Foxtrots or just straight up nuts... and I think it's safe to say that DOT guys have forgotten more about grounding a truck than I will ever learn.

Comment

I am a "DOT" guy in Pennsylvania. Doing a inspection is alot more than just writing tickets. In the FEd REg book, there are exceptions for exceptions to rules. The general knowledge that you have to have is far more than just the vehicle code. It is 2 different animals. I do the inspections on top of regular patrol duties. Its alot to keep in your head.

Comment

Wow, all that specialized/advanced training to live in damn near poverty.

this state needs to get its act together.

Comment

Someone tell FDOT and what they police? I usually see them pulling over tractor-trailers. Never see them at accident scenes. However, thats just South FL, where I see one on occasion.

Comment

FDOT doesn't handle the accidents, they are mainly commercial vehicle enforcement. We have commercial vehicle enforcement Deputies and they bring in hundreds of $$ off of a single stop and are equipped with credit card readers where the violator has to pay on-scene or get their vehicle towed. Commerical vehicle enforcement is big money.

Comment

I also imagine that they certify you in things like radar/laser (40 hours) and other weight measurement courses that prepair you for DOT work.

Comment

the only crashes DOT works are fatal ones involving CMV's and even then it's secondary to the primary agency working it (if that makes sense)

Comment

Originally posted by TBL View Post
                        the only crashes DOT works are fatal ones involving CMV's and even then it's secondary to the primary agency working it (if that makes sense)
                        Don't they bring out the SERV thing for that?

Thanks Pete for the info.

Is the work they do all pro-active pretty much?

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                          Don't they bring out the SERV thing for that?

Thanks Pete for the info.

Is the work they do all pro-active pretty much?
                          Yes. I think FHP by policy just handles the crashes. They do some training in the Central Florida area with Mears bus service. I do remember them working down by Disney a few times and doing carstops on the local folks on I-4.
                          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I think most of the stuff down here is pro-active, up north they have to staff weigh stations and stuff like that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18116 users online. 475 members and 17641 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X