3 Day waiting period for fireamrs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Day waiting period for fireamrs.

So here is a story that I just wanted to share with everyone. Someone I know, a fellow law enforcement officer, wanted to purchase a handgun for off duty. He doesn’t have a CCW permit so he has to wait three days. He places the order on a Thursday and goes to the gun shop the following Monday, which is a total of 4 days from when he first placed the order. Upon arriving at the gun shop on Monday he is told that it has not been 3 “working” days and that he has to wait till Tuesday. The funny thing is he worked Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, keeping the citizens of his city safe.

So this is what gets me. He's a cop and has to wait now 5 days to purchase a firearm. The "cool down" period doesn’t even make sense for law enforcement officers because all of us have firearms anyways and can carry under the badge.

Sorry, if this post is boring you but I just needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for reading.

Ya I agree the 3 day waiting period should not apply to leos.

Comment

Wow that's weird! In NY I can walk in and buy an AK47 flash my tin and walk out with it and ammo! That's really weird they make LEO wait a certain amount of time. This wait period is with buying the weapon on a permit or on his police ID?

Comment

In the state of Florida you can purchase a rifle, ie ak-47 or m-16, and walk out the door with out any permit or anything. However, to buy a handgun you need a concealed weapons permit if you dont want to wait the 3 days. So a cop in Florida, who doesnt need a CCW permit to carry his gun, still has to wait the 3 days to buy a handgun with out a permit.

Comment

In order to buy an AR-15, etc, from a dealer, they have to run a background check through FDLE, at least all the places I've dealt with have (not sure if they HAVE to, or if its just standard practice), and I was LEO at the time of purchase.
          It makes sense that a CCW has nothing to do with rifles, as they cannot be concealed, and thus cannot be carried any way other than in a locked case, etc etc.

And in honesty, I think it probably boils down to money. You PAY for a CCW and thats revenue to the state. Of course they don't care if you are a cop and already have a gun, they still want that $150 or whatever it was.
          Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
          Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Comment

Originally posted by FL50 View Post
            In the state of Florida you can purchase a rifle, ie ak-47 or m-16, and walk out the door with out any permit or anything. However, to buy a handgun you need a concealed weapons permit if you dont want to wait the 3 days. So a cop in Florida, who doesnt need a CCW permit to carry his gun, still has to wait the 3 days to buy a handgun with out a permit.
            I've never been able to simply walk out of a store with a new class 3 toy, if you mean a WASR 10 or some other neutered rifle, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by caseypj View Post
              I've never been able to simply walk out of a store with a new class 3 toy, if you mean a WASR 10 or some other neutered rifle, sure.
              I meant a regular m-4 with a single round burst or however you wanna call it. And yes, they do a background check.

Comment

I went to a local gun shop in Orlando, December 24th. A retired deputy, I have known for 24 years now works for the gun dealer. I bought a Glock 30 for off duty. I to had to wait the 3 days because I don't have a CCW.

Some nut with a CCW can walk in buy a handgun and walk out. I have 35 years on the job and have to wait 3 days. Somebody in the capital needs to re-write the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
                  Where in NY? I haven't found this place yet.
                  Even though they are going out of business soon because they went bankrupt try Gander Mountain. They have assault rifles and everything. I was exaggerating about the AK47 but if you can find a dealer that carries it, you shouldn't get a problem. Flashing the tin has always worked for me, no wait

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog1097 View Post
                    I went to a local gun shop in Orlando, December 24th. A retired deputy, I have known for 24 years now works for the gun dealer. I bought a Glock 30 for off duty. I to had to wait the 3 days because I don't have a CCW.

Some nut with a CCW can walk in buy a handgun and walk out. I have 35 years on the job and have to wait 3 days. Somebody in the capital needs to re-write the law.
                    Exactly my point of the post. And if I recall correctly, if you have not been convicted of a felony, amongst some other things, you can get a CCW. We all know how often the SAO will let someone plea from a felony to a misdemeanor offense to clear the case.

Comment

How long is the process to get a CCW permit in Florida? New York it could take up to 6 months and I have heard more also. Is it a long wait to get your gun permit in Florida?

Comment

wow, never knew that. so i guess its worth the $65 every 5 years to keep my CWP after im certified just to walk out with any new toys. LEOs should definitely get the same rights as CWPs in this regard.
                        Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Comment

oh and as for processing time, it used to take a couple months but now with our new pres coming in, everyone is flooding to get theirs before the right is taken away...

kinda like the passport mandate last year, im guessing they are pretty backed up right now.
                          Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Comment

If you have a handgun to trade, there's not a three day wait. Two issues though...Problem one: you have to already own a handgun to trade-in. Problem two: you need a FFL dealer that does trades-ins.
                            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Your friend apparently didn't go to a cop friendly gun store. I ain't never waited after purchasing a handgun at our local boom-stick shop.
                              Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                              Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5020 users online. 226 members and 4794 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X