Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an age limit for the state of Florida?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an age limit for the state of Florida?

Hi,

I have a quick and simple question that I hope someone can help me with here.

Is there an age limit to become a Police Officer in the state of Florida? In NY you have to take the Police exam before the age of 35. Does the same hold true for the state of Florida?

Thanks!
    Exam 8322
    List# 5XX
    Medical: Passed
    Written: Passed
    Oral: Passed
    Meet with BI: Done
    JST: Passed
    1st Mini-Med: Passed
    2nd Mini-Med: Passed 11/29/11

Let's go January 2012!!!

Florida is a right to work state. Apply away. There are many deputies down here that need to be on social security at their age. Most of them though work in the court houses.

I moved from Watertown NY, grew up in Syracuse, to get certified here and take a job with a much better retirement. If you want any help with anything, let me know.

Comment

My high school teacher just became a PO & he's in his 40s... Minimum age I believe is.. you can enroll in the academy at 18 but must be 19 by graduation/sworn.

Comment

I am not aware of any upper age limit for any agency in Florida. There is, however, a lower age limit of 19, although most FL agencies won't hire until 21.
        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by CRS1 View Post
          Hi,

I have a quick and simple question that I hope someone can help me with here.

Is there an age limit to become a Police Officer in the state of Florida? In NY you have to take the Police exam before the age of 35. Does the same hold true for the state of Florida?

Thanks!
          No there is no limit. I had a 72 year old go all the way through the academy. An ex-chief of police, was in fantastic shape and aced almost every exam. He won top academic, and top physical in his class. He was one of the very best recruits I have ever had. He went on to be a director of juvenile services in the North Florida area and just needed his certification back to do it.

I am 46, with 28 years in, and will be working for at least another 15-20 years, old guys are still able to do the job, we just do it with more finesse!
          Police Academy Commander
          Lead Firearms Instructor
          35+ years as a cop
          Becoming a Police Officer
          So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
            No there is no limit. I had a 72 year old go all the way through the academy. An ex-chief of police, was in fantastic shape and aced almost every exam. He won top academic, and top physical in his class. He was one of the very best recruits I have ever had. He went on to be a director of juvenile services in the North Florida area and just needed his certification back to do it.

I am 46, with 28 years in, and will be working for at least another 15-20 years, old guys are still able to do the job, we just do it with more finesse!
            WOW!!! that's great for the ex-chief.

I currently live in Westchester, NY and I am currently trying to do a career change. I work in the I.T. field and been doing it for 13 years and want out. I always admired Police work and decided to take the Police exam this past Nov. I'm 33 years old fit. The age limit in NY to take the Police exam is 35. The exam I just took is given every 4 years so the next time they give the exam I will not be able to take the exam. I will be relocating to Florida within the next 2 years to start a family and was hoping to become a Police Officer in NY 1st then transfer to a Florida department on the West Coast on the Gulf. I'd like to try Clearwater, but any department will do.

If I do not pass the Westchester Police exam this time around I will not be able to take the exam again do to the age limit. The next time they give the exam I will be 37 years old, so my plan is to take Police exams down in Florida and hope things workout. If there is no age limit in Florida then that works out great for me because I don't have to worry about any age limitations.

I will not find out if I passed the written exam until the Spring of this year around mid-May.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, guidance for me to help me out with this?

The ultimate goal is to become a Officer in NY 1st within the next year and get at least a year experience and then get the ball rolling to make the move to Florida (assuming I get in in NY). If I don't get in then what do you Guys\Gals think I should do to start the ball rolling in Florida? (Taking Police exams)

Thank You all for your time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
            Exam 8322
            List# 5XX

Let's go January 2012!!!

Comment

I say start applying to agencies down here. The hiring process with most departments take atleast 6months and some times go over a year. So if you get the results in May & you failed (hopefully not) you already have some thing going for you down here. Besides, applications are going quick, when they're available & most big departments are backed up on the hiring process right now in FL.

Comment

I would tell you to get your certification first. Its like pulling teeth with a spoon to get an agency to sponsor you.

Find an address of someone you know or family or something here in Florida. You'll need it for residency. Otherwise you'll be paying the out of state fees, which for me were around $8500.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                  I would tell you to get your certification first. Its like pulling teeth with a spoon to get an agency to sponsor you.

Find an address of someone you know or family or something here in Florida. You'll need it for residency. Otherwise you'll be paying the out of state fees, which for me were around $8500.
                  I have family down in Florida, so getting an address will not be an issue. I don't understand what you mean by, "getting my certification 1st, so an agency sponsors me." Can you clarify this to me? I'm sorry, it sounds like the process is different in NY than FL. Thanks!
                  Exam 8322
                  List# 5XX

Let's go January 2012!!!

Comment

I have family down in Florida, so getting an address will not be an issue. I don't understand what you mean by, "getting my certification 1st, so an agency sponsors me." Can you clarify this to me? I'm sorry, it sounds like the process is different in NY than FL. Thanks!

SPONSOR: POLICE-SHERFFCORRECTIONS AGENCY
                    VERIFYS YOU MET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR HIRE/ CERTIFICATION

A. SOME AGENCYS PAY FOR THEACADEMY - YOUR A AGENCY EMPLOYEE
                    B. YOU PAY FOR THE ACADEMY- AND YR ON THEIR ELIGIBILITY LIST FOR HIRE
                    C. SELF-SPONSOR......YOU PAY FOR ACADEMY, YOU SIGN A AFFIDAVIT
                    YOU MEET ALL THE CRITICAL REQUIREMENTS, AND LIKE A B.S. DEGREE
                    AFTER YOU GRADUATE, YOU FILL OUT APPLICATIONS LIKE A NEWBIE OFF THE STREET, EXCEPT...YOUR ALREADY BEEN TO THE ACADEMY.
                    ================================================== ========
                    IF I MISSED ANYTHING....ADD TO IT.......
                    Last edited by ftlaudcop; 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR
                    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop View Post
                      SPONSOR: POLICE-SHERFFCORRECTIONS AGENCY
                      VERIFYS YOU MET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR HIRE/ CERTIFICATION

A. SOME AGENCYS PAY FOR THEACADEMY - YOUR A AGENCY EMPLOYEE
                      B. YOU PAY FOR THE ACADEMY- AND YR ON THEIR ELIGIBILITY LIST FOR HIRE
                      C. SELF-SPONSOR......YOU PAY FOR ACADEMY, YOU SIGN A AFFIDAVIT
                      YOU MEET ALL THE CRITICAL REQUIREMENTS, AND LIKE A B.S. DEGREE
                      AFTER YOU GRADUATE, YOU FILL OUT APPLICATIONS LIKE A NEWBIE OFF THE STREET, EXCEPT...YOUR ALREADY BEEN TO THE ACADEMY.
                      ================================================== ========
                      IF I MISSED ANYTHING....ADD TO IT.......
                      Are there any written test, physical agility test, psych test to take down there for the Police jobs?

In NY you have to take and pass the written, physical agility, medical, and psych exams before you even make it into the Academy.
                      Exam 8322
                      List# 5XX

Let's go January 2012!!!

Comment

Basically in FL unlike NY, you can sponser yourself through the academy. To sponser yourself, you will pay the out of pocket expenses for the background, physical, psychological testing and training. You will also have to pay to take the CJ-BAT to get into the academy (kinda like a civil circus test) and the physical abilities test.
                        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                          Basically in FL unlike NY, you can sponser yourself through the academy. To sponser yourself, you will pay the out of pocket expenses for the background, physical, psychological testing and training. You will also have to pay to take the CJ-BAT to get into the academy (kinda like a civil circus test) and the physical abilities test.

What's the estimated cost of all this?
                          Exam 8322
                          List# 5XX

Let's go January 2012!!!

Comment

What's the estimated cost of all this?
                            About $6,000 I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by ERMDPD View Post
                              About $6,000 I've heard.

The academy alone cost me $8500. I had to fly down from Syracuse NY to do the pre academy poly, then the CJBAT, then to meet with the director of the academy. Between testing, processing, and uniforms, be prepared to spend close to $1500, before you set foot in the door. Then the tuition takes over from there. You'll have to have a years residency to qualify for an instate tuition, like family here that you could use their address. Just remember though, that address is gonna stick with you after you graduate and you'll have to list that on your apps to individual departments. Not sure how that would look in your case but you see my point that it could look deceptive.

Its not all that different from NY standards. NY uses Coopers standards for their PT, which is rather stringent. Some agencies down here use Coopers as well and FDLE is looking into that as well. I know we were tested per Coopers standards in our academy in both NY and in Florida.

As a self sponsored student, you're a regular Joe off the street who goes into the academy full time. Once you graduate, you'll have to pass the state exam. I know many people who failed it, numerous times. Once you pass that, you're not really 'certified' per sey, but 'certifiable' by an agency, which means they wont have to put a whole lotta money into you until you make it to the physical and phych eval, by which you'll probably have signed a conditional offer.

There are deputies and police officers all over the board here who are actively employed by many agencies around Florida. You'll probably need to figure out where it is you want to land yourself, get in touch with the academy in that county and go from there.

Maybe Shadow up in Gainesville can assist you and or tell you what to expect to pay fir an instate resident. Its about 1/3 of what I paid.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8984 users online. 378 members and 8606 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X