300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belle Isle (Orange County/Orlando) Welcomes New Police Chief

Congratulations John Tegg........ Now Belle Isle has there Own PD.... and one hell of a new Chief......

FROM ORLANDO SENTINEL:

Updated: 58 minutes ago
    Text size: increase text sizedecrease text size
    Tegg named Belle Isle's first police chief today

Rich McKay | Sentinel Staff Writer
    4:40 PM EST, December 2, 2008

BELLE ISLE - John B. Tegg III, a retired division chief of the Orange County Sheriff's Office and a two-time candidate for sheriff, was named the city's first police chief at a city council meeting today.

Tegg has the task of building a police department from the ground up to protect this south Orange city of about 6,400 people living near Lake Conway.

"This has been a very important priority for the city. We've had a broad statewide search. I guess the unfortunate political outcome for John Tegg is our gain," Bill Brooks, Belle Isle mayor said.

For years the bedroom community south of Orlando had hired off-duty sheriff's deputies to patrol its streets and function as its police force. But a half-year fight over how much the city should pay ended with Sheriff Kevin Beary canceling the contract in October. The sheriff's office, with pressure from Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty, wanted the city to pay an additional $1 million atop its $800,000 fee for the deputies.

Belle Isle officials said that wasn't fair because its residents are already paying taxes for the deputies and the sheriff's office keeps the lions share of the fines collected from traffic tickets. The move from Beary has been linked by county and Belle Isle officials as retaliation for Belle Isle's efforts to annex lucrative tax-generating property away from the county.

Since October, deputies still answer 911 calls, but don't go on routine patrol here. City Manager Be Bateman hired armed security guards to patrol the streets and call for help if a crime or anything suspicious happens.

Tegg, 54, has a lot of experience running law enforcement operations. He is a 20-year veteran of the Orange County Sheriff's Office who attained the senior rank of chief. In his career he supervised county patrol operations, the tourists districts and investigative units.

From April 2006 until August he served as Edgewood's police chief, running a department of about a dozen officers to protect the 2,100 residents. Within a year of taking over as Edgewood's chief, the department attained the coveted accreditation – sort of a "Good Housekeeping seal of approval" from the state.

He has had higher ambitions than being a small town cop.

He challenged Beary in the 2004 Republican primary and he ran this year against Jerry Demings to be the county's top cop, in charge of an agency with $184 million annual budget and about 1,470 deputies.

"I am looking forward to solving this area's problems and working with all of the other chiefs (in Orange County) in our attack on crime," Tegg said.
    I may be short, fat and stupid...... But I can still taser you....

Good luck to Chief Tegg. I wonder who will come over to help out and start up the department.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I wonder what he's gonna pay new officers...Its gotta be somewhat comparable to the other agencies in the county or Osceola and Seminole counties.

Comment

From what I hear. and I will hear it from the Horse's (or Chief's) mouth tomorrow.. it will be very comparable to OCSO.... I know some people at edgewood are already bucking to come over.. and several from OCSO

Comment

Does anyone know exactly how big or how many officers they are going to need??

Comment

Originally posted by costeno23 View Post
            Does anyone know exactly how big or how many officers they are going to need??
            I'd say probably about 20-25. Edgewood had about a dozen with 2100 residents. Belle Isle has about 6500 but I don't think it has as much commercial as Edgewood. Definitely wish he had made Sheriff, but I think Belle Isle obviously made a good choice.

Comment

Ive heard tops of 10-12

Comment

sounds good...how soon are they looking to start the department.

Comment

no clue on that... im figuring it will take at least 3-4 months.. min.....

Comment

I emailed one of my former compadres who also left Edgewood now elsewhere in Orange county. From what he said they are looking at 15-20 including mangement and pay will be about OCSO levels.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

sweet.... im wondering how long till they will be up and running.... are they gonna have a dispatch or go through the county? Whats the uniforms gonna be like?

Comment

And most likely will hire officers with experience. i read some of the news and they are moving right along to start the department.

Comment

from a lowly road deputy here... what are the steps on starting a department....

Comment

Originally posted by thatboatguy View Post
                            sweet.... im wondering how long till they will be up and running.... are they gonna have a dispatch or go through the county? Whats the uniforms gonna be like?

I'm sure they will go through OCSO dispatch just like Edgewood. I didn't realize there were 6000+ in BI. 2 Deputys held it down pretty good so, I'm sure they won't need that many officers.

2 deputys at a time, I should say.

Comment

Every time I worked off duty there it wasnt that bad.. it wasnt killer busy.... I guess they will probably run alot more traffic than I did though....

Was just wondering dispatch wise.... Tegg may want to seperate himself completly from OCSO though.... I mean Belle Isle will hve to pay the county to dispatch for them... Who knows what they will charge for that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12445 users online. 456 members and 11989 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X